Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  48
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Vs Essendon Round 7 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You can find it in the AFL Stats page with some customisation. I can't be bothered going back and looking again but I think Pittonet had 11 and English 6.

What is a hitout to advantage though? If it's tapped directly to a player that is immediately tackled and dispossessed or there is another ball up, is that still to advantage? Bevo certainly doesn't agree with Champion Data's take on this stat.

Thanks I did find it.

Agree, the important thing is winning the ball at stoppages, clearances and Centre Clr.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There is some concern about their dash off of half-back, if JJ is stinking up the joint or overwhelmed with a tag could we deploy him as a negating/pressure forward? He can kick a goal and with him and Weightman buzzing around it may rush a few players into dump exit kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Incredibly optimistic. We are 3/3, beaten probably 2 of the bottom 4 and GWS who we did apply the 110% the gameplay requires. Smashed in all other games. I find it really annoying that we are saying if Laitham had of kicked that goal it would've been different. I can't agree we were behind all game and lost by 50 points. Betts was laughing afterwards as they knew exactly how to unlock us, clearly they used the gameplan against us.. Unfortunately the game goes for four complete quarters and I have to say that was as bad as it gets despite the favourable stats.
    To be fair sometimes the other team is just better and the Blues were very very good.
    I'm certainly not saying throw out the gameplan. It can clearly work, however it needs some fine tuning and possibly in game calls that we don't have.
    Carlton flood our forward half. It's working. Call a play that controls the ball in the back half to suck their players out.
    I guess I could say you're being pessimistic then!! And I'm certainly not one of the ones saying if Vanda kicks the goal that we win.

But I don't think the loss is worth getting too hysterical about. Carlton were red hot on Sunday night and we weren't able to mitigate it on a fairly poor night for us also. I don't really base my predictions of how they team will go on one week's form - so am happy to be backing us to knock off Essendon this week.

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I guess I could say you're being pessimistic then!! And I'm certainly not one of the ones saying if Vanda kicks the goal that we win.

But I don't think the loss is worth getting too hysterical about. Carlton were red hot on Sunday night and we weren't able to mitigate it on a fairly poor night for us also. I don't really base my predictions of how they team will go on one week's form - so am happy to be backing us to knock off Essendon this week.
    Ha or realistic? Enjoy your views.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the middle half of the ground? A dominant force doing what? I don't understand your first paragraph.

What he does best is being involved around the ball, drifting back and forward to use his marking power (more back). You have been pushing for him to play forward, how can he use his strengths to full effect there?
    I have seen centre half forwards mark a kick in from full back. And I have seen centre half backs mark an opposition kick in.

They both seem to roam between the 40 metre spots but stay more at one end. Although on windy days it is not unknown for a dominant player to stay down wind.

So what I am saying is English can spend more time on what he does best, drifting as you say , and helping in the ruck, but not getting the physical punishment (?) from heavier ruckmen for so much of the game. He is very agile, a good mark and a good kick.
    He is immature as a ruckman, poor at centre bounces (usually) but improving . I would rather play to his strengths while he is still developing.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Crozier, Weightman

Out: Butler, Schache
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Let him run around the ground who cares how many hit outs to advantage he's getting in the broaader scheme of things he's killing it.

I know we've been starved of high marking CHF over the past 40 years but we need him in the game around the ground. I guess I'm saying that for every mark he takes forward he takes one back as well he's tracking to well and is so far ahead of the curve that I'm loathe to change anything he does.

Anyway

Outs Butler, Dale
    Ins: Crozier, Flea
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Four Dogs will be dumped: Bevo sharpens selection axe

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge will swing the axe following his side's 52-point loss to Carlton on Sunday night.

Hayden Crozier is a certain starter as he returns from a one-match suspension and speedy forward Cody Weightman will also make his debut against Essendon on Friday night.

"Already this week we've had the four changes, none forced by injury, but in a sense its reward for players who are working hard behind the scenes for their opportunity," Beveridge said on Thursday morning.

Sam Lloyd has re-joined the main group earlier than expected from a collarbone injury, but the Dogs could instead choose to play him in a scratch match against the Bombers' non-selected group instead.

Lewis Young and Matt Suckling could be right in the mix, while potential debutants Jordon Sweet and Callum Porter have frequently been listed as emergencies.

Ryan Gardner was withdrawn from the emergency list last week with a minor calf injury and might be considered if he pulls up well.

Second-gamer Louis Butler found plenty of the ball against Carlton but had some costly turnovers, while forwards Josh Schache (two disposals), Bailey Dale (six disposals) and Rhylee West (nine disposals) will be feeling the heat at the selection table.

The Bulldogs piled on 21 consecutive goals last time they faced the Bombers, but Beveridge says there's not a lot his side can take from that game

"We haven't really gone to school too much on that," Beveridge said.

"They've changed significantly since then, not just personnel wise but the way that they're playing.

"The momentum and the surge side of the game is significantly different to what we've seen in the past."

Post Thanks / Like

Hope we don't drop West. 1 average game but he's been important since coming into the side.

Post Thanks / Like

My best guesses are:
    Crozier for Butler
    Weightman for Dale/West
    Lewis Young for Schache
    Suckling for Richards

Probably miles off.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Hope we don't drop West. 1 average game but he's been important since coming into the side.
    Agree. Even last season he seemed to get a rough go of it at selection.

I feel he is held to a higher standard by the MC than others.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    There is some concern about their dash off of half-back, if JJ is stinking up the joint or overwhelmed with a tag could we deploy him as a negating/pressure forward? He can kick a goal and with him and Weightman buzzing around it may rush a few players into dump exit kicks.
    I like it - primarily because you just know he'll run high to try and get involved in the play, and he's not bad on the run from outside 50. Saad leads the comp for running bounces doesn't he? JJ vs Saad would be good viewing.
    Ed Richards can go back if we want another run & carry player behind the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agreed he's ahead of Dale this year IMO. We need to keep our pressure inside F50 at a high level especially against their damaging half backs.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Something tells me Dale survives. Ample room for improvement, as with many, but the efforts to remain involved are generally better this season and he's adept at playing a link-man role upfield as need be.

Impossible to see Schache retained but you'd forgive the MC for granting him another trot in more suited conditions.

Seems unlikely but do hope we stick with West. Strikes me as a quick study and unlikely to back up a shocker with another one.

I'll be decidedly meh if we tap Suckers on the shoulder but you may as well lock it in.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Four Dogs will be dumped: Bevo sharpens selection axe

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge will swing the axe following his side's 52-point loss to Carlton on Sunday night.

Hayden Crozier is a certain starter as he returns from a one-match suspension and speedy forward Cody Weightman will also make his debut against Essendon on Friday night.

"Already this week we've had the four changes, none forced by injury, but in a sense its reward for players who are working hard behind the scenes for their opportunity," Beveridge said on Thursday morning.

Sam Lloyd has re-joined the main group earlier than expected from a collarbone injury, but the Dogs could instead choose to play him in a scratch match against the Bombers' non-selected group instead.

Lewis Young and Matt Suckling could be right in the mix, while potential debutants Jordon Sweet and Callum Porter have frequently been listed as emergencies.

Ryan Gardner was withdrawn from the emergency list last week with a minor calf injury and might be considered if he pulls up well.

Second-gamer Louis Butler found plenty of the ball against Carlton but had some costly turnovers, while forwards Josh Schache (two disposals), Bailey Dale (six disposals) and Rhylee West (nine disposals) will be feeling the heat at the selection table.

The Bulldogs piled on 21 consecutive goals last time they faced the Bombers, but Beveridge says there's not a lot his side can take from that game

"We haven't really gone to school too much on that," Beveridge said.

"They've changed significantly since then, not just personnel wise but the way that they're playing.

"The momentum and the surge side of the game is significantly different to what we've seen in the past."
    Wow 4 changes. That's more than after the saints game yeah? It's always hard to tell with Bevo but sounds like he was royally p***ed off with our effort last week.