• VFL quality

2 14.29%
  • Delist

2 14.29%
  • Needs more time

9 64.29%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Fergus Greene 30

This was a fill in while there was no football but we might as well finish assessing our list.
    We can evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Fergus Greene 30

A few stats:
    Height: 187cm
    Weight: 75Kg
    Games: 5

Greene was selected with the Western Bulldogs' fourth pick in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft (70 overall). He impressed in five games for the Bendigo Pioneers in his top-age year, playing up forward where his marking and kicking abilities were a highlight. Greene's endurance and athleticism are also strengths, having recorded 15.6 beep test at the Rookie Me Combine - the best of any player selected in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft. Greene made his AFL debut in Round 19, 2018 against Port Adelaide, going on to play the remaining four matches of the season and kicking a goal in every one of his games. Injuries interrupted Greene's 2019 campaign, unable to add to his senior tally and only lining-up in four VFL matches for the Footscray Bulldogs.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

The lockdown certainly hurts his chances.

Has shown some attributes, but is probably not going to be retained with the probable reduced list size.

Could be a valuable contributor with his goal sense, but lack of strength works against him.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

The Fergus is great. Just needs to actually play in order to develop...tall, fast, kicks straight, knows where the goals are...what's not to like?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Greene but feel that we have used him incorrectly. He has a high level of endurance however we have more or less decided to play him as a close to goal forward
    He's a decent mark and was previously an accurate kick for goal although that skill has deteriorated.

With his consistent level of injuries, the covid-19 disruption and with a reduced list size looming he's going to need a lot going right for him to be maintained. The hub experience will need to be a good one for him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries have cruelled Ferg, it's been ages since I've seen him play but he definitely has some tools.

He's a natural forward and is probably battling with Bailey Dale for the tallish flanker role. Dale is doing just enough to keep him out at the moment but as we know, he's susceptible to a run of down weeks so Ferg may get his chance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I know he had injuries last year, but 5 games in 4 or 5 seasons, it doesn't look good for him, especially with the situation this year.

I have rated him VFL standard due to his lack of opportunities to show us if he is any good.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like Greene but feel that we have used him incorrectly. He has a high level of endurance however we have more or less decided to play him as a close to goal forward
    He's a decent mark and was previously an accurate kick for goal although that skill has deteriorated.

With his consistent level of injuries, the covid-19 disruption and with a reduced list size looming he's going to need a lot going right for him to be maintained. The hub experience will need to be a good one for him
    I'm not so sure he is at risk. I think Dickson's likely retirement, lloyd being off the boil and our dearth of close to goal forwards mean he is probably a guy who we will give every chance to retain his spot and prove his worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I'm not so sure he is at risk. I think Dickson's likely retirement, lloyd being off the boil and our dearth of close to goal forwards mean he is probably a guy who we will give every chance to retain his spot and prove his worth.
    I think the recruitment of Weightman and maybe Garcia are challenging for him as well but you might be correct.
    Greene has ability but he has to impress for the balance of the season and stay healthy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I have faith in Fergus - liked what Ive seen of him and see him as an ideal third forward who can both play in the air and on the ground

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the recruitment of Weightman and maybe Garcia are challenging for him as well but you might be correct.
    Greene has ability but he has to impress for the balance of the season and stay healthy
    Maybe. Weightman from what I've heard is the archtypical small forward, though with an ability to play taller, like Picko/Jonno/Robbo;

Greene is more a Dicko/Dale/Welsh player. The true HFF who knows where the goals are and can position himself well to get them

Post Thanks / Like

I like Greene too but he's running out of time (particularly if lists are reduced).

I'd actually like to see him given a few games soon. He's not a baby anymore, we know he has some talent, but we need to figure out if he's worth persisting with.