Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Easton Wood was amazing vs North. It is:

Best game I have seen him play for - well - let's just go with a long time.

Is it the sign of things to come or the 'first game back bounce' we see so often before a player reverts to 'the norm' through the rest of the year.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Easton Wood was amazing vs North. It is:

He just looked magnificent last night. So refreshing and exciting. He was just jumping out of his skin. Was so great to see.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Freedom to play the right role and also finally over the lower leg troubles that hampered him since post 2016 really - has his spring back. Great to see.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have alluded to having a quality big man down there has certainly given him renewed confidence. That and the natural improvement of Cordy. Easton has all the natural attributes in the world it is always in between the ears with him. Trialling him forward in early 19 certainly didn't help him to recapture his 2016 form.

Last night he was able to concentrate his efforts to where he is needed most and the ability of Williams and Crozier both in the air and on the ground helps.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Best game I have seen him play for - well - let's just go with a long time.

Is it the sign of things to come or the 'first game back bounce' we see so often before a player reverts to 'the norm' through the rest of the year.
    Playing a different role with better match ups in our defensive half suits him I reckon. Same with Cordy not struggling with monsters feasting on quick delivery into our D50. With Keath and English lurking around half back chopping off that fast kick from their mids everybody has gone back to a role they are better at.

Easton was able to take uncontested (and contested) marks deeper in defence when North tried the longer kick over Keath and English's heads. Cordy could just concentrate on beating his direct opponent and as he got more confident started to counter attack himself. Even the traditional one time he got caught out on his left foot wasn't a complete disaster because he didn't panic and kicked it torward Keath who marked it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He can play his best role and as mentioned elsewhere our mids set up a bit more defensively as well which means the opposition F50 entries seen a bit "higher"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Freedom to play the right role and also finally over the lower leg troubles that hampered him since post 2016 really - has his spring back. Great to see.
    People forget after the finals in 2016, Easton had to have major ankle surgery . This no doubt hampered him for a long period, especially his leap.

Last night the leap was back. Hopefully he can play like tat for the rest of the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Playing a different role with better match ups in our defensive half suits him I reckon. Same with Cordy not struggling with monsters feasting on quick delivery into our D50. With Keath and English lurking around half back chopping off that fast kick from their mids everybody has gone back to a role they are better at.

Easton was able to take uncontested (and contested) marks deeper in defence when North tried the longer kick over Keath and English's heads. Cordy could just concentrate on beating his direct opponent and as he got more confident started to counter attack himself. Even the traditional one time he got caught out on his left foot wasn't a complete disaster because he didn't panic and kicked it torward Keath who marked it.
    Yep it certainly helps a player of Wood's calibre when the other five blokes have / are developing such a positive synergy.

I'm actually quite surprised how quickly Keath has adapted to our defensive structure and how much of a leader he appears already. Intelligent footballer.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

11. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yep it certainly helps a player of Wood's calibre when the other five blokes have / are developing such a positive synergy.

I'm actually quite surprised how quickly Keath has adapted to our defensive structure and how much of a leader he appears already. Intelligent footballer.
    In terms of "quality person" we could have hardly found a better trade target. He's actually got a lot of western suburbs in him as he has family and mates around the Williamstown area.

13. Thanks azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    In terms of "quality person" we could have hardly found a better trade target. He's actually got a lot of western suburbs in him as he has family and mates around the Williamstown area.
    Didn't know that. Same surname do you know Mof?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I love what he's bringing to the side. There's his obvious quality as a player, but he's got an intensity that probably only Libba can match in the 22. He's also far better one on one than advertised, and think that criticism coming from the Crows was controlling the narrative before it could control them.

As an aside; how on earth do you pay Walker and the Crouch bros (and Sloane if I'm being honest) huge money and then have the nerve to turn around and say that an actual good AA level key defender is not worth a market value (probably even under) contract?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I love what he's bringing to the side. There's his obvious quality as a player, but he's got an intensity that probably only Libba can match in the 22. He's also far better one on one than advertised, and think that criticism coming from the Crows was controlling the narrative before it could control them.

As an aside; how on earth do you pay Walker and the Crouch bros (and Sloane if I'm being honest) huge money and then have the nerve to turn around and say that an actual good AA level key defender is not worth a market value (probably even under) contract?
    Keath would have stayed of they offered him more than two years too. They have all serious issues at the crows. I don't think we will be big traders the next two years but I still like Rory Atkins as a FA if we're looking to free experience. We'll lose a couple of senior blokes at the end of this year

Post Thanks / Like

We'll lose a couple of senior blokes at the end of this year
    Who you thinking? Dicko & Suckling?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think(pray!) that combination of playing a more suitable role, and no longer having the burden of the captaincy will give us 2-3 more years of quality footy from Easton.

I had him just outside our best 22, but if last night is what we can expect from him, he's not only one of the first picked, he's critical to our flag chances.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The pressure of the Captaincy got to him there is no doubt about it. You can see it in his face he actually looks like he is enjoying himself again. Even in a recent interview on FOX( during lockdown) he gave more than he ever has and did it with a smile on his face.

You can see it with the Bont's body language atm he is just struggling to adjust. He will get there by doing what he has always done, not by what a captain, in theory, should do.