Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Departure Lounge 2020

Who will be departing season's end?

Obviously its a really weird season, when players who cannot make the 22 now cannot show their wares in the VFL. And the shadow of reduced lists?

Dickson, Suckling and Trengove seem an obvious start. The first 2 delisted, with Trengovw being traded to the Swans if he is willing to leave Wuhan-Melbourne.

Next cabs off the rank, Greene, Lynch, Porter and Hayes. Gowers and Gardiner?

And what's happening with the two Youngs?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Departure Lounge 2020

Dickson and Suckling retire
    Trengove to stay on
    Hayes to stay on
    Gowers trade
    Gardiner delisted / trade
    Greene & Porter all need more time
    Lynch has been with us long enough and can't seem to hold his spot in the seniors , might be time to move him on.

Lin Jong is an interesting one, keep him on? Does his body hold up for the rest of this year? His already been injured twice. Love the guy but might be time to make room.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Dickson and Suckling retire
    Trengove to stay on
    Hayes to stay on
    Gowers trade
    Gardiner delisted / trade
    Greene & Porter all need more time
    Lynch has been with us long enough and can't seem to hold his spot in the seniors , might be time to move him on.

Lin Jong is an interesting one, keep him on? Does his body hold up for the rest of this year? His already been injured twice. Love the guy but might be time to make room.
    Agree with most of the above, but cannot see Gowers/Gardiner generating any currency. I would probably keep Gowers - maybe he has a purple patch and tears up a final series......

Trengove will go, no chance he stays. Porter is the same for me - you have Rylee West now ahead of him and we struggle to fit all of Lippa, Hunter, Dunks, Libba, Jong etc into the team when fit. Time to find another kid with potential.

Greene - I think will stay. Dickson retiring; Lloyd older and seemingly off the boil, we need the goal sneak half forward and Greene plays that role for us - a poor man's Bailey Dale

Post Thanks / Like

This is the Uncontracted list for this year according to Axeman's Player Contracts thread.

Easton Wood: 2020
    Billy Gowers: 2020
    Fergus Greene: 2020
    Jackson Trengove: 2020
    Taylor Duryea: 2020
    Lin Jong: 2020
    Brad Lynch: 2020
    Ben Cavarra: 2020
    Will Hayes: 2020
    Callum Porter: 2020
    Tory Dickson: 2020
    Matt Suckling: 2020 (FA)
    Lachie Young: 2020 (Rookie)
    Jordan Sweet: 2020 (Rookie)
    Roarke Smith: 2020 (Rookie)
    Ryan Gardner: 2020 (Rookie)
    Buku Khamis: 2020 (Rookie)

Seniors

Easton Wood is the clear priority. I'd like to see a 2 year deal offered to him

Lin Jong's form has been encouraging so far this season and should earn another contract. Probably 2 years

Taylor Duryea hasn't featured this year as yet due to injury but is a dependable pro who adds to the defence. Will be 30 early next season. I think 1 year is reasonable.

Billy Gowers, Jackson Trengove, Tory Dickson & Matt Suckling should all be playing regular seniors to warrant extensions beyond 2020. Others have gone past them. We could save $1m+ for the salary cap here as well. I would keep Trengove for another season. If English goes down the cupboard is bare.

Will Hayes, Ben Cavarra & Fergus Greene all have attributes in their game that we need in our team. Their chances are hurt by not being able to play at Footscray. However there would seem to be a few in exit queue ahead of them.

Brad Lynch & Callum Porter also hurt by no Footscray & their chances to impress are diminished. Can't see them holding on at this stage.

Rookies

Lachie Young and Sweet certainties to be retained in my view

Buku Khamis I would keep

Ryan Gardner seems to be rated at the club & will probably be retained especially if Trengove goes.

Roarke Smith has been around forever and hasn't nailed a spot. Time to move on?

In the circumstances of this season I would be surprised if we make wholesale changes. A couple might be spared due to limited U/18 activity meaning some promising juniors may not get much/any exposure to challenge for a draft position.

We have some big contracts in 2021 coming up including Bont, Libba, Cordy, Wallis, Lippa & Richards. So we might need to bank some cash for that
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Likes azabob, bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be actively looking to retaining Wood, Trengove, Green, Young, Cavarra and Jong, and maybe Suckling if he can get back into the side. I think we're in a pretty good position if list sizes do get reduced.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Easton Wood is the clear priority. I'd like to see a 2 year deal offered to him

Lin Jong's form has been encouraging so far this season and should earn another contract. Probably 2 years
    Not sure offering 2 year contracts to an injury prone defender and a very injury prone fringe mid is the way to go especially if we reduce to 35 on the list. Wood is probably more justifiable seeing as he is only 30, but list spots are precious and I wouldn't want Jong taking up one when even when he has good seasons frequently spends at least half of it injured or struggling to regain confidence and form, and his bad seasons are virtually complete writeoffs.

The 35 on the list really complicates stuff, it basically means you can't carry anyone you don't see as best 25 and the remaining 10 spots need to go to guys that you are confident have the ability to get there. Considering we need 3ish spots for the draft every year really you can afford 7 players that aren't in your best 25, and at least one of those spots needs to be a ruck.

Don't renew Trengove. He is a great backup option at the least with his ability to atleast contribute everywhere but seeing as we refuse to play him then whats the point?

Dickson is seemingly fit, but just not being selected. If that's the case cut him.

Has Duryea been surpassed by Williams? Duryea is injury prone, so if he can't command a spot later this year maybe he goes.

Greene, Gowers, Lynch, Cavarra and Porter all have some attributes we like, but if none of them can even get selected let alone contribute when they are then we can't afford to carry them. Hayes is probably in a similiar boat but I feel like he is Beveridges favourite from the lot so stands a better chance.

Suckling is probably not best 22 anymore, gone.

Of the rookies, are there still going to be rookies? Regardless we really rate Young so he stays, like I said we need a ruck so Sweet stays, Smith and Gardner are both loved by the coach but probably don't command a spot. Khamis probably falls in the same category as Greene, Gowers etc.

So of the out of contract guys pretty much only Wood, Jong, Sweet and Young are players i expect will definitely be on the list. Certainly while i think a lot of these guys have some promise or usefullness, it seems pretty easy to make the necessary cuts.

It's interesting because surely 35 is just a minimum player retention number, and they will just bring the salary cap down accordingly. So if you have a bunch of lowly paid guys you could probably afford to retain 37-38 players inside the cap if the AFL allows it.

Either way this is a nightmare for Beveridge who has real issues breaking up with players.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    maybe Suckling.
    Why for you do this to me? I thought we were friends.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have any idea what list sizes will be next year? If it is reduced we will be forced to make some hard decisions, especially if all three FS/NGA kids are draft worthy and we pick up a FA.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect we need to get the list down to minimum of 32 or more likely 31 and then either trade or draft 3/4 players

If that is the case there isn't a lot of room for sentiment

Based on Axemans contract list and Doc's list above

Wood gets a 1 year deal
    Gowers would need a lot to go right to get another deal but if so then it's a 1 year deal
    Greene, as above
    Trengove should get a deal but won't
    Duryea gets a year or two
    Jong needs to stay injury free and probably gets a one year deal
    Lynch will go
    Cavarra will go
    Porter will go
    Dickson retires
    Suckling retires
    Lachie Young gets a 2 year deal
    Sweet gets a 2 year deal
    R.Smith should go but he is one of Bevo's players
    Gardner get a one year deal
    Khamis goes

Even doing that it doesn't get the list size down sufficiently and there will need to be some others

Bevo is going to need to develop a harder edge because this is going to hurt
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So much to play out this year, and given we're dropping like flies at the moment, there will be opportunities for our fringe players to stake their claim. I really hope we get to Khamis, Porter, Greene, and Cavarra show their stuff.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    So much to play out this year, and given we're dropping like flies at the moment, there will be opportunities for our fringe players to stake their claim. I really hope we get to Khamis, Porter, Greene, and Cavarra show their stuff.
    Yep definitely it's early calls for sure and there will no doubt be someone doing a Bailey Dale before the season is over

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think Porter may come in this week
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there needs to be some nuance in how this is handled with the rules. I'd be giving clubs the opportunity to re-list players for the 2022 season without using draft picks etc if they were delisted in 2020 by the same club. So if we need to let someone like Khamis go because we simply don't have enough spaces and he's one out of contract then if list sizes are increased or someone more deserving of being delisted comes up he can be brought back in.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Porter may come in this week
    He must be close to selection

Post Thanks / Like

We can't assume at this stage that lists will be reduced
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.