Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 Bulldogs v 2020 Bulldogs

V 1961, our modern day midfielder, Bontempelli at 192 cm is taller than our '61 Brownlow ruckman, John Schultz, 191 cm!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We had a few with question marks but havng Picko, Morris, Clay & Boydy in that side, I never doubted the grit in 2016.
    But that's only four players and you're missing Libba. The other eighteen give or take may have had question marks on them for when the heat was on but it was only until given the opportunity that they were able to prove they were up to it.

Now we have Smith, Wood, Cordy, Crozier, Libba, Wallis, Keath, Bont and a few others who I would back to be uncompromising if given the chance, but again, they need to be given the chance.

And they're only the first few who come to mind. I think with our team it's completely between the ears and everyone we have playing for us by and large is capable of doing what they need to do when they need to do it.

The questions some have raised over the Dunkley and Macrae interest me. I actually think a lot of the grunt work they do is shaded by how much footy they get. My biggest criticism of them and our main mids in general is they're all a little too offencive and it particularly shows when we are having an off day.

Being captain obvious here, though I reckon without the four finals wins it would be really tough to split the difference between the two teams, save possibly the win against Port in Adelaide which was as hard a game as you'll see. Look back at the season and there were some seriously disappointing losses where we were questioning the integrity of the side, and it wasn't until we beat West Coast that we really believed we were hard enough and good enough.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    ...I reckon without the four finals wins it would be really tough to split the difference between the two teams...
    Couldn’t agree with this more. There was definitely something special at the kennel in 2016 and we played the greatest team finals campaign of all time but I’m not convinced it is the benchmark for our next tilt.

We need sustained form around the ground and on the scoreboard to continue to improve and we have never really done that - even in 2016.

Agree with all comments here - lots more run and carry and not enough grunt. A fantastic platform for growth and a really exciting position to be in - but a return to 2016 form (over the season) isn’t the answer IMO.

I’ve often thought how likely it was we went out against the eagles that year. No one Would have batted an eyelid in 2017 when we missed finals, and we’d be back by now to being a mid table (5-10) team meeting expectations. Course that doesn’t account for the hunger and motivation we might of had - which clearly dropped out the bottom after 16’.