Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy shines in scratch match

link

Key defender Zaine Cordy has put his hand up for a senior recall after a strong performance on his return from injury.

The 23-year-old had not featured since round 11 due to a pectoral injury, however he was among the Bulldogs’ best in a Saturday scratch match against the Geelong Cats.

“I thought he was probably our best player, Zaine,” coach Daniel Giansiracusa said.

“Any time it came in, he was either able to intercept the ball through great positioning and bodywork, or produce some big spoils to come off and support his teammates in the air. He did everything we asked of him.”

The Bulldogs had 20 players feature throughout the scratch match and finished strongly. Fergus Greene led the way on the scoreboard against the Cats with three majors, as the Bulldogs ran out 11.9 (75) to 7.4 (46) winners.

Matt Suckling also returned from injury, kicking two goals, while Taylor Duryea had his first run for 2020 after being hampered by a persistent quad injury.

“Suckers was probably a bit slow to start, but when the ball’s in his hands something good usually happens,” Giansiracusa said.

“We got two quality finishes from him and I was really pleased with his second half.

“Doc’s a real coach out on the field, so for guys like Lachie Young, Louis Butler and Buku Khamis to have his voice and instruction is great.

“By his own admission, he was trying to figure out how to play footy again because he hasn’t played for a while. But as the game went on, his class shone through and he had a pretty big impact for us.”

Giansiracusa also praised the impact of key forward Josh Schache, who kicked two goals.

“It was pleasing to see ‘Schach’ have an impact in his third game back from a few weeks off with groin issues,” he said.

“He provided a focal point for us and when he gets his hands on the footy he’s pretty smooth with what he can do with the ball. It was good to see him get off his opponents, show some physicality and kick a couple of goals.

“He’s been able to have some ruck time as well, and even though that’s not his primary position, he was able to get his hands on the footy and follow-up.”

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.2 3.5 5.6 11.9 (75)
    GEELONG CATS 1.1 4.2 4.4 7.4 (46)

Goals: Greene 3, Schache 2, Suckling 2, Garcia, Gowers, R. Smith, Weightman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cordy shines in scratch match

Schache must come in as second ruck and replace the use of Dunkley.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Bulldog Revolution, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thing is, the way Bevo is going, Dunkley is more like our 1st ruckman isn't he? English does the re-start bounce most of the time but other than that, Dunkley seems our 'ruck' to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Thing is, the way Bevo is going, Dunkley is more like our 1st ruckman isn't he? English does the re-start bounce most of the time but other than that, Dunkley seems our 'ruck' to me.
    Dunkley is our first ruck.

If Cordy was fit enough to shine in a scratch match, it seems ultra conservative the Gardner held his spot in favour of a superior defender and a premiership CHF.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still trying to process Bevo saying we are making it up as we go with the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm still trying to process Bevo saying we are making it up as we go with the ruck.
    He says it like it's a bit of a surprise that it's come to this but he knowingly entered the season with a young ruck man, a rookie ruck man and an older guy that played his best footy last year as a key defender.
    This is one of the reason why I get sick of hearing some of the excuses that get offered up. We decided to take the risk and go into the season light on in the ruck area and our solution is to throw a 190cm midfielder who isn't overly athletic and who came back after a decent injury break into the ruck. In reality this is no surprise to Bevo

I hope Dunkley stays healthy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He says it like it's a bit of a surprise that it's come to this but he knowingly entered the season with a young ruck man, a rookie ruck man and an older guy that played his best footy last year as a key defender.
    This is one of the reason why I get sick of hearing some of the excuses that get offered up. We decided to take the risk and go into the season light on in the ruck area and our solution is to throw a 190cm midfielder who isn't overly athletic and who came back after a decent injury break into the ruck. In reality this is no surprise to Bevo

I hope Dunkley stays healthy.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I gave up listening to Bevo’s Brief months ago. Sick & tired of our ruck situation. We have had 4 years to get this right. I am now of opinion Tim may never be a very good number 1 ruck. IMO he is simply not aggressive enough for the considerable body hits required for ruck (not meant to be a criticism). Tim has talent and seems to be an intelligent, driven young man and no doubt can fill other important roles. I desperately hope I am wrong & hope to eat humble pie but as every week goes by I think my niggling suspicions are becoming louder (like the beat beat beat of the drum as Col Porter wrote).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do you think he just says this for the press to shut them up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Dunkley is our first ruck.

If Cordy was fit enough to shine in a scratch match, it seems ultra conservative the Gardner held his spot in favour of a superior defender and a premiership CHF.
    Could Cordy come in for Bruce and back up English in the ruck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Could Cordy come in for Bruce and back up English in the ruck?
    Surely playing Schache in the ruck in the scratch match for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my take. The logical one. However.....

Post Thanks / Like

It's all a smokescreen to throw off the opposition

Post Thanks / Like

Josh is a flanker, I just don't get why we continue to play players in roles they are not suited.

I'd like Josh to get a game but please anywhere bar ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

If Schache somehow sneaks back into contention imagine the expression on Naitanui's face when Bevo tells Josh to line up at the next centre bounce.

It could just as well be Cordy though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    If Schache somehow sneaks back into contention imagine the expression on Naitanui's face when Bevo tells Josh to line up at the next centre bounce.

It could just as well be Cordy though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like waking up on xmas day.