Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs coach says league overreacted to Clarkson rant

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    On the topic of coaches wanting things without thinking them through, Hardwick was calling for 6-8 players on the bench again today.

It seems stupid to me. You would have heaps of players with such low TOG that they can't impact the game, and would cool down during their stints on the bench.

If anything the current interchange limit should be reduced (in line with the quarter length reduction), encouraging player fatigue which will limit the ability to zone effectively. This will then make it easier for teams to break through the zone, as an attacking game will have more space to lead/kick into regardless of their own fatigue.
    I'd be more inclined to bring in a sub or two. Keep the interchange numbers as they are and have to bring the subs in prior to 3/4 time.

Freshens up the game a touch, and helps teams to not have to run who they have left after an injury or two into the ground so they can be available the following week. Also means that some players who are battling through with a niggle attained through the game not having to really wear it down.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Clarko is just pissed that his current refresh strategy, rather then rebuild wont get him a premiership.

The question I have is the current strategy best for the Hawks? Or is is best for Clarko?
    The answer is neither.

Clarko is desperate for another flag and wants shortcuts because he perhaps feels that he hasn't got time to do a proper rebuild.

He risks his own legacy and might end up viewed like Mick as an angry old man.

For Hawthorn they are just in a twilight zone of not being good enough to challenge but not being bad enough to access the elite kids.

They have a long tail precisely because they have targeted senior players who command higher salaries and need more bottom level to fill up the team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree, and well said Bevo. And it also seems like the rule 'reinterpretation' has backfired on the hawks anyway. It seems the umpires may have actually turned Clarko's fire back on himself. Watching Hawthorn now is like watching the least cohesive team imaginable. Just a bunch of individual self satisfied ex high draft picks, or ruthless selfish players like Wingard, who really is even more of a selfish player than he was before he drank the Clarko Koolaid. The idea of cherry picking players like O'meara, Patten, Scully etc as a way of routing the system was just doomed to fail. I feel for Patten, I really do, but I'm always secretly happy when things turn to shit for Hawthorn.

The greatest Hypocrisy in football, (and it's deeply hypocritical on several levels), is the wealthy supporter base, Jeff Kennett, Beyond Blue, Poker machine revenue, Bermuda Quadrangle. Kennett bangs on about men's mental health etc blah blah blah and he acts all sensitive and caring. But Hawthorn makes more Money from pokies than any other team, yet they represent the richest people in Victoria. And where are the poker machines??? In Hawthorn??? No way. They are out in Caroline Springs, and other outer suburbs. One of the big drivers of domestic violence and depression is problem gambling., Hawthorn football club make me sick.
    I resent their achievements. I wish them nothing But tragedy and disaster.
    Well..........I guess that covers it.

Post Thanks / Like

They are pretty putrid aren't they.

I for one hope their destination club status continues to stifle them.

As for Patton, he's a wanker who is kind of paying for it by being injured constantly. I remember the shit he and a few others piled onto Toyd after Lobbe took a mark in the 2016 preliminary final. Toyd had been toiling in the ruck for most of the night and was cooked and they really gave it to him. I'm glad the guy who had the last laugh had the last laugh.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    They are pretty putrid aren't they.

I for one hope their destination club status continues to stifle them.

As for Patton, he's a wanker who is kind of paying for it by being injured constantly. I remember the shit he and a few others piled onto Toyd after Lobbe took a mark in the 2016 preliminary final. Toyd had been toiling in the ruck for most of the night and was cooked and they really gave it to him. I'm glad the guy who had the last laugh had the last laugh.
    I add that I know of someone who had a personal involvement with him and her opinion is that you are not wrong.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn feel incredibly stale and uninspiring. Their aversion to the draft is bewildering especially considering that their sustained success was largely off the back of nailing it there.

This weird belief that it was actually their work at the trade table that they've cultivated and turned into a list philosophy is killing them now. They have a few shiny toys but next to no exciting young talent.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Clarkson and the Hawks are rightfully getting battered in the media at the moment. Here is one where people are pushing back at his assertions that the game is dreadful, citing his game plan and the Hawks list as the issue.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...cd267a31089cd3

Kane Cornes lashes Clarko’s ‘dreadful’ game plan, calls for Hawks skipper change.
    Cornes said there were “massive concerns” around Clarkson’s Hawks, who suffered their second straight loss on Friday night after going down to Collingwood by 32 points at Giants Stadium.

Both losses have come after Clarkson sensationally questioned the state of the game, saying footy was in a “dreadful space”.

Speaking on AFL Media’s The Round So Far, Cornes pointed out the Hawks’ 318 disposals and 91 uncontested marks led to just 32 inside 50 entries against the Pies. They only had four scoring shots to three quarter-time (2.2).

Cornes said Clarkson had been “made to look foolish” since he made those comments after the Round 4 match against North Melbourne.

“He called it (the game was) in a ‘dreadful’ space – well, AFL is not in a dreadful space, your game plan is in a dreadful space,” Cornes told The Round So Far.

“They are playing this chip, short, possessions-off, slow, wide football, racking up a lot of touches but doing absolutely nothing with it.

“I’d hate to be a forward in Alastair Clarkson’s game style. They can’t score, they were 11th for scoring coming into this round – and that’s considering Melbourne and Essendon had played one less game than everyone else – and after Friday night, they’ll probably drop even further.

“He’s got massive issues with his game plan and a few of his experienced players that are out of form like Tom Scully and captain Ben Stratton.”

Stratton and several veteran Hawks came under fire following the loss to Collingwood.

The Hawks this year have seven players aged over 30 – Stratton, Shaun Burgoyne, Paul Puopolo, Ricky Henderson, James Frawley, Isaac Smith and Ben McEvoy – of which five have played every game so far in 2020.

Triple All-Australian Nick Dal Santo said the Hawks couldn’t keep picking the same side if they continued to lose in such disappointing fashion.

Cornes said Stratton wouldn’t get dropped, but said it was a “strange choice” when he was given the captaincy in early 2019.

“Apart from the pinching issue … this time last year, when is the most memorable moment that Ben Stratton has had? When has there been a time when the game is on the lime that he does something courageous or lifts his team?
    “I see him as a background player. He doesn’t seem to be that inspirational captain, even in the mould of a Jarryn Geary, who clearly they’re less talented players – with all due respect – but Geary still inspires his team. I don’t see any of that for Ben Stratton.

“The Hawks will probably have to make a change there. Whether it’s O’Meara, whether it’s Mitchell, whether it’s Sicily – maybe he’s the front-runner – but clearly I think they need a change of leadership at the Hawks because Ben Stratton has struggled since being made captain.”

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North play a similar game style to the Hawks with slow ball movement. The Hawks have played this style for a long time and recruited players that are able to pass the ball with pin point accuracy, however, teams have woken up to this. All you need to do is be ultra defensive and not allow them space to pass, and soon enough they cough up the ball.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely Sicily isn't the front runner to be Hawthorn captain? He doesn't strike me as a leader.

Mitchell, O'Meara and Shiels (how old is he now?) would be ahead of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they also suffering from a lack of tall talent up forward. Gunston ok but there are no Buddy's or Roughheads down there to offer a bail out after chipping it around the park.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Surely Sicily isn't the front runner to be Hawthorn captain? He doesn't strike me as a leader.

Mitchell, O'Meara and Shiels (how old is he now?) would be ahead of him.
    How often are traded in players made the captain of a club? I can think of Judd and Buckley (though Bucks made the move young IIRC) but no others. Are there others in the modern era I'm not thinking of? Excluding the expansion clubs for obvious reasons.

Feels a bit off to me personally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Are they also suffering from a lack of tall talent up forward. Gunston ok but there are no Buddy's or Roughheads down there to offer a bail out after chipping it around the park.
    Not to worry Patton will sort that out... oh wait nevermind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Clarkson and the Hawks are rightfully getting battered in the media at the moment. Here is one where people are pushing back at his assertions that the game is dreadful, citing his game plan and the Hawks list as the issue.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...cd267a31089cd3

Kane Cornes lashes Clarko’s ‘dreadful’ game plan, calls for Hawks skipper change.
    Cornes said there were “massive concerns” around Clarkson’s Hawks, who suffered their second straight loss on Friday night after going down to Collingwood by 32 points at Giants Stadium.

Both losses have come after Clarkson sensationally questioned the state of the game, saying footy was in a “dreadful space”.

Speaking on AFL Media’s The Round So Far, Cornes pointed out the Hawks’ 318 disposals and 91 uncontested marks led to just 32 inside 50 entries against the Pies. They only had four scoring shots to three quarter-time (2.2).

Cornes said Clarkson had been “made to look foolish” since he made those comments after the Round 4 match against North Melbourne.

“He called it (the game was) in a ‘dreadful’ space – well, AFL is not in a dreadful space, your game plan is in a dreadful space,” Cornes told The Round So Far.

“They are playing this chip, short, possessions-off, slow, wide football, racking up a lot of touches but doing absolutely nothing with it.

“I’d hate to be a forward in Alastair Clarkson’s game style. They can’t score, they were 11th for scoring coming into this round – and that’s considering Melbourne and Essendon had played one less game than everyone else – and after Friday night, they’ll probably drop even further.

“He’s got massive issues with his game plan and a few of his experienced players that are out of form like Tom Scully and captain Ben Stratton.”

Stratton and several veteran Hawks came under fire following the loss to Collingwood.

The Hawks this year have seven players aged over 30 – Stratton, Shaun Burgoyne, Paul Puopolo, Ricky Henderson, James Frawley, Isaac Smith and Ben McEvoy – of which five have played every game so far in 2020.

Triple All-Australian Nick Dal Santo said the Hawks couldn’t keep picking the same side if they continued to lose in such disappointing fashion.

Cornes said Stratton wouldn’t get dropped, but said it was a “strange choice” when he was given the captaincy in early 2019.

“Apart from the pinching issue … this time last year, when is the most memorable moment that Ben Stratton has had? When has there been a time when the game is on the lime that he does something courageous or lifts his team?
    “I see him as a background player. He doesn’t seem to be that inspirational captain, even in the mould of a Jarryn Geary, who clearly they’re less talented players – with all due respect – but Geary still inspires his team. I don’t see any of that for Ben Stratton.

“The Hawks will probably have to make a change there. Whether it’s O’Meara, whether it’s Mitchell, whether it’s Sicily – maybe he’s the front-runner – but clearly I think they need a change of leadership at the Hawks because Ben Stratton has struggled since being made captain.”
    Sounds like Clarkson has had a gutfull. Let's hope his past glories eke out another 3 seasons before they realise he actually stayed 4 years too long.

He's kinda like the superstar no longer relevant veteran who's playing too long but instead of doing a calf every times he runs out he's doing his best Donald trump impersonation.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 12-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Clarko is becoming a bit of a Kevin Sheedy. He's had his time in the sun but now he just sounds like a crazy old man yelling at a cloud

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Bevo, but reckon we paid for those comments a bit tonight.