Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I love Beating Carlton

It’s amazing how just reading some of these things bring back the animosity even though Carlton have been relatively harmless of late - to be honest I can.t believe how meekly they’ve accepted their lack of competitiveness. Standing in the Princes Park outer while we got thrashed year upon year was a misery.

They have had crooks for presidents - Pratt, Elliott and Harris should all have gone to jail. They were always the teams of the silver tails. I’m sure Collins took vindictive pleasure in denying Chris Grant the Brownlow.

I had the misfortune of meeting Elliott once. You know how some people are much nicer in person? He’s not one of them.

Yeah...I’m enjoying their demise.

The win in 2000... the week before we beat the Bombres with Wallace’s super flood...was probably my favourite against them. We had no hope, were riddled with injury and somehow beat them. Murph’s first game.

That might have been the best ever fortnight in footy (pre 2016 of course)...beating Loathsome CAAArlton and Arrogant Essington in consecutive weeks.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    The win in 2000... the week before we beat the Bombres with Wallace’s super flood...was probably my favourite against them. We had no hope, were riddled with injury and somehow beat them. Murph’s first game.

That might have been the best ever fortnight in footy (pre 2016 of course)...beating Loathsome CAAArlton and Arrogant Essington in consecutive weeks.
    My office back then was full of Carlton supporters and boy were they unhappy with that loss. Wallace tried the flood that day too, and these guys in the office said we cheated to win by forming the wall.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was invited to the Carlton President's lunch that day; lucky with a few more Doggies supporters.
    We had the Elliot’s a Wanker chant in the last quarter.

5. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It’s amazing how just reading some of these things bring back the animosity even though Carlton have been relatively harmless of late - to be honest I can.t believe how meekly they’ve accepted their lack of competitiveness. Standing in the Princes Park outer while we got thrashed year upon year was a misery. .
    Remember 1985? We beat them at Princes Park for the first time since 1964, Beasley kicks 9 on Bruce Doull who was playing his 300th. Hardie makes his debut and gives their big name, big money recruit David Rhys-Jones a touch up. That was a fun day at the footy.

They have had crooks for presidents - Pratt, Elliott and Harris should all have gone to jail. They were always the teams of the silver tails. I’m sure Collins took vindictive pleasure in denying Chris Grant the Brownlow.

I had the misfortune of meeting Elliott once. You know how some people are much nicer in person? He’s not one of them..
    Walking to 7-11 in Prahran for a Slurpee run one hot day when I was playing cricket with a club called the Reds who are a communist inspired cricket club. Anyway we see Elliot sitting outside a cafe with a bottle of red in front of him. The guy I was walking with had bought his bat with him (I still don't know why) and I hear "Elliot, you #$@*. I've been waiting for this day" and all of a sudden I'm dragging this guy away from their table. Elliot was so pissed he hadn't even noticed that a guy with a cricket was trying to hit him with it.

Bloody good choice. Trent Bartlett gets the dodgiest free kick of all time and kicks the winner. Young Robert Murphy wearing #22 had run into position and received a handball, didn't panic and slotted a goal to get us within a kick just as it ticked into timeon. We knew that he would be a player there and then.

Carlton supporters around us were going off their heads with anger. A little girl behind us turns around to her dad, gives him the dirtiest look and says "you told me that they were the Bulldogs and they COULDN'T beat us" I often wonder if she has lasted the distance as a Carlton supporter. My dad turns to me and says "some days are just better than others. Don't you think?"

I have a photo from that day of Rohan Smith and Trent Bartlett walking off the ground surrounded by baying Carlton supporters. Bubba is holding up the Bulldog badge on his jumper so they can watch it and weep. Trent is holding his arms above his head in victory mode! I *!*!*!*!ing love that photo.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes Prince Imperial, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Judd really a Trump supporter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Is Judd really a Trump supporter?
    Even if he isn't, it's another thing to dislike him for. So he is.
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes hujsh, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Judd’s wife is the most annoying person on the planet

12. Likes Sedat, 1eyedog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never forget their smarmy supporters
    That’s a genie that hopefully stays in the bottle

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was R2 in 1998 and we played Carlton at Princes Park in front of a full house - we were the 'home' team from memory. Both teams were up and about and we absolutely smashed them off their own dung hill by 10 goals. Some of the footy we played that day was absolutely sublime.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A Blues fan pushed past me at Optus Oval near the fence in the Legends Stand one year and punched a woman right in the face, I believe he ended up breaking her jaw. I'll never forget it. The weakest act I've witnessed at the footy. I was probably 15 or so, had a bit of a crack back but my folks got in the way.

I hate them mostly because of Elliot and Collins and that incident.

They've been humbled in recent history. So I don't hate them as much as I used to. They can stay in the competition. Much like Collingwood. I hate them, but like hating them, so they should continue to exist. North, Essendon, GWS & St Kilda on the other hand, they can all get in the bin for good.

I like when we beat them now, mostly for the Bont v Cripps meltdowns on twitter and Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Surely there is a bit of competition for that position.

Donald, Bruce, BT and Kardashian ... plus John Elliott and Ian Collins
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Never forget their smarmy supporters
    That’s a genie that hopefully stays in the bottle
    Weirdly having been a teen in the early 2000's the vast majority of Carlton supporters I know are actually really pleasant. Kind of like pre-2017 Richmond supporters my age, who were all very cautiously optimistic but quite realistic about their chances and good at embracing the suck.

This is in direct contrast to Essendong supporters my age, who are almost all insufferable and since Essendon have been shit for so long have mostly dropped off and lost interest. For a bunch of guys who liked rubbing in how good they were they've really struggled when that isn't a plausible move anymore for them.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Weirdly having been a teen in the early 2000's the vast majority of Carlton supporters I know are actually really pleasant. Kind of like pre-2017 Richmond supporters my age, who were all very cautiously optimistic but quite realistic about their chances and good at embracing the suck.

This is in direct contrast to Essendong supporters my age, who are almost all insufferable and since Essendon have been shit for so long have mostly dropped off and lost interest. For a bunch of guys who liked rubbing in how good they were they've really struggled when that isn't a plausible move anymore for them.
    Don't worry we will discuss Essendon who I hate even more next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't worry we will discuss Essendon who I hate even more next week.
    Essendon is still my no 1 hated Victorian teams

It’s one of the great existential questions...if there were an Ess v GWS grand finals who would you barrack for? (There’s a lot of time in lockdown to over think things)

Apart from the obvious answer of completely turning off all media for the week, the best I’ve been able to come up with is that both clubs are found over the following days to have taken performance enhancing drugs and booted out of the competition. Bonus points if T Greene, J Cameron, J Finlayson, C Hooker, M Hurley, H Shaw, H Himmel-whatever are among the guilty and Sheedy is somehow responsible for the fiasco
    (I did say there’s a LOT of time in quarantine to over think things)
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Likes bornadog, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BORDERLINE FLYING

24. Likes Twodogs, 1eyedog liked this post