Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth the weight: Dogs' great ruck hope repays the faith

A beanpole ruckman no longer, Tim English is blossoming into a ruck star in his fourth season at the Dogs

A NONDESCRIPT pre-season game in a coastal South Australian town this past March was the source of much excitement among Western Bulldogs coaches.

It was the Bulldogs' final tune-up for the season and they lost to Port Adelaide but their 22-year-old ruckman capped an outstanding summer with a super on-field performance.
    Against a premiership big man in Scott Lycett for large parts of the day, no less.

The Dog in question, Tim English, was one of those rare ruckmen drafted in the first round and even rarer in that he played in his first season and was his club's No.1 big man by his third.

Now, in his fourth campaign, he looks ready to take off.

Even still, there's been understandable growing pains – and not just because English shot up 20cm in his last three years as a teenager. He now stands 205cm.

Collingwood's dual All-Australian Brodie Grundy polled maximum Brownlow Medal votes in both clashes with English last year and they met again in round one this year.

Luke Beveridge and co. were so buoyed by the Lycett game they expected things to be vastly different in the return bout with Grundy. They were wrong. Grundy was best afield again.

However, their faith wasn't misplaced, with English – while still far from the finished product – beginning to illustrate in the past fortnight why he's held in such high regard.

"We're probably managing these situations better than what we did at the start of the year," Beveridge said after beating the Roos last week.

"Tim's starting to flourish in his own game, because he knows he's supported. But he's never ever been glass half-empty. He knows he can play and he's just weathered a bit of a storm.

"He's still going to have his challenges – he's got some coming up ahead – but his last few weeks have been significant."

English won 22 disposals in each of the past two games and has taken more intercept marks this year than all bar two players, reeling in more than three per week.

His towering mark inside 50 against North Melbourne last weekend, despite him missing his set shot, also caught the eye.

Notable in that outing was English arguably got the better of star ruckman Todd Goldstein, who, like Grundy before him, was best on ground the last time he faced his younger counterpart.

Only one of them received an AFL Coaches' Association vote. It was English, who credits his progress to heightened confidence and maturity, plus his coaches' belief.

ENGLISH'S journey could've been so different if not for a little-known draft rule.

All Western Australian and South Australian prospects must be registered and have played at least one WAFL or SANFL match to be draft eligible.

There are injury exceptions, such as Port Adelaide's Mitch Georgiades last year, but he had played at SANFL level previously, so he was a known quantity.

Grundy's Magpies were one of two AFL clubs that discovered English in 2015, when he was playing school footy for Christ Church Grammar rather than in the WAFL Colts.

They tried to plug English in for one game at the end of that WAFL season – with designs on nabbing him in the rookie draft – but confusion around his primary address led to that falling through.

A year later, he was touted as a top-10 selection and landed at the Bulldogs at pick 19. In between, the interest in English steadily rose.

HOT PROSPECT Draft guru Cal Twomey's 2016 take on English

His agent, Andrew McDougall, of Corporate Sports Australia, recalls watching him for the first time in a state trial match and being stunned as English dashed down the wing with multiple bounces.

"I remember thinking after that game, 'This kid could be anything'," McDougall told AFL.com.au.

"I was lucky to play with (Hall of Fame ruckman) Dean Cox for a few years at West Coast, and Tim's in that same mould as a dynamic ruckman who can get around the ground almost as an extra midfielder."

So impressive was English's past pre-season that his teammates started ribbing former ruckman-turned-Bulldogs senior assistant Steven King because of how often he gushed about him.

King's working closely with English this year and likes what he sees from the "quiet, reserved, humble and polite" young pup.

"He's got a steely competitiveness to him, and the pre-season he had prior to and post-Christmas was exceptional. He was pushing the midfielders with his running capacity," King said.

"You could probably see he was going to take the next step but then the first week came (against Grundy) and he got, not a reality check, but it was a bit of a setback."

Usually, they would have debriefed in the days afterwards but instead came the almighty sledgehammer of the season suspension and resultant standing down of most club staff.

English had to stew on the Grundy game for months.

WHEN AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan made his necessary decision to press pause on the season in late March, it caused a ripple effect across the industry.

Footballers across the country, including English's housemate and fellow West Australian Aaron Naughton, scattered to their home states in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis.

English remained in Victoria with his girlfriend and another teammate, Pat Lipinski, determined to emerge a stronger, better footballer – and part of that involved buying a gym set-up for the household.

He's piled on more than 10kg in his four seasons at the Kennel and now tips the scales in the triple-digits.
    It's part of English's plan to eventually give the Bulldogs' star-studded midfield a steady supply of hitouts to advantage. This is one of the areas, he says, that requires most personal growth.

"I'm building my strength to be able to hold my position in a contest; to give myself a chance to use that extra length I might have on some of my opponents," English told AFL.com.au.

"If I get pushed too far off the ball that completely nullifies any extra length I might have.

"I'm trying to find that hard balance between getting strength in the gym and being able to bring that onto the field while maintaining a running capacity."

That's the "steely competitiveness" King speaks of.
    English was guarded when quizzed on what it was like to be on the wrong end of repeat thrashings from the likes of Grundy, Goldstein and Gawn as a developing ruckman.

After a brief pause, he quipped: "You've always got another game."

That's the glass half-full attitude that Beveridge speaks of.

At the same time, English didn't shy away from his struggles. He wasn't afraid to admit he's turned to family and his coaches, such as King, during some of his darker times.

"It's a difficult one in the ruck, coming through and developing in the AFL system," English said.

"It can smash your confidence, and I've had different times where I've been lower on confidence.

"But I'm here to play AFL footy, and that's been my childhood dream all along. If it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be as enjoyable when things are going a little bit better."

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth the weight: Dogs' great ruck hope repays the faith

He's developing so quickly so glad he slipped to 19 what a great coup for us. I was worried about the go home factor and while this may still eventually happen he seems well grounded and happy in Melbourne.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The big chilli bush. Had a great few weeks and such a high ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome insight - particularly on a simple admin error being the reason he plays for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Tim is the best around the ground ruck and just about the worst ruck contest ruck in the league. He's an absolutely fascinating player that is totally without historical analogy and I'm loving watching him develop into whatever it is he's becoming.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

One picture in the article proper shows him training just before the season restart and you can really see the added bulk he's put on. Or it's a flattering angle. Whichever I'm still excited about him

Post Thanks / Like

He is tracking along nicely at just age 22. I have previously posted that he is tracking about the same, at that age, as some of the other top rucks in the AFL, except Grundy. Grundy is a bit of a freak, but hopefully as English matures his tap work will also improve.

With lost of games coming up in the next 30 days, hopefully we don't run him into the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to breakdown the traditional ruck stereotype with him as Bevo has done and start appreciating him as a 6'9 midfielder who incidentally happens to ruck at stoppages.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think we need to breakdown the traditional ruck stereotype with him as Bevo has done and start appreciating him as a 6'9 midfielder who incidentally happens to ruck at stoppages.
    Yeah, it really is more about the number of hitouts to advantage his opposition ruck gets.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, it really is more about the number of hitouts to advantage his opposition ruck gets.
    Agree vs Tim's hurt factor around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I've put on about 10 kilos since March. I might be ready for AFL footy at last!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite