Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 things you have learned - RD 6 v Carlton 2020

Count em down

What 3 things did you learn from this evening game against Carlton?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned - RD 6 v Carlton 2020

I'll respond tomorrow. Best not to comment right now.

3. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Put a line through Trengove. He is never going to get selected if he can't get a game against the Blues tall timber. As a result, it has to be one of the worst FA selections in history to offer up a 4 year contract to an experienced key defender and not bother playing him

2. Our forward line mix is all wrong. We have no lock-in pressure small forwards and too many small leading forwards who don't add anything when the ball is in dispute.

3. Defending with an aggressive high press is dangerous and we are determined to learn this the hard way.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Thanks The Pie Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What Sedat said ^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Trengrove should be playing x 3.
    That’s my 3 things.

Post Thanks / Like

1. our forward pressure was lacking. Dale needs to stop ball watching and lay some tackess. No point having bruce go for contest when the ball rebounds back. Bruce, Dale and Schache lowest possessions tonight. Our big forwards should have a look at MacKay leading into space.
    2. this loss should hurt as percentage lost and log jam of team in the top 8, its like an 8 point game.
    3. We need to keep playing kids in vandmeer and butler. They fumbled a few times but more game time will help them bridge the gap into the pace of AFL.
    Last edited by macca; 13-07-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

1. A disappointing loss but put in perspective not as important as all you Vic woofers staying safe.
    2. Lack of forward pressure tonight, Carlton rebounded too easily.
    3. Said it before but Bailey Smith is a gun.

Post Thanks / Like

1. It's bullshit a second year player is carrying the club.

2. We need a new plan B the high press doesn't work.

1. English needs help. Trengove at the least must relieve.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Delivery into forward 50 is still a major concern

2. Missed a bit of experience to steady the ship - Crozier was a big loss and all I can say is FU AFL

3. Mids have got to be more damaging
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    1. Put a line through Trengove. He is never going to get selected if he can't get a game against the Blues tall timber. As a result, it has to be one of the worst FA selections in history to offer up a 4 year contract to an experienced key defender and not bother playing him

2. Our forward line mix is all wrong. We have no lock-in pressure small forwards and too many small leading forwards who don't add anything when the ball is in dispute.

3. Defending with an aggressive high press is dangerous and we are determined to learn this the hard way.
    Trengove was playing reserves football at the time and had been well below his best well before he left the Power. I would be playing him atm but I said at the time who the hell gives a 4 year deal for a player playing in the SANFL

Post Thanks / Like

1. Not sure our midfield is that good. Yes, we're missing Dunkley but too often our mids just don't want to lock down. Bont included, Smith excluded - the latter works hard defensively and dropped back a few times. Smith really has been fantastic but why does this group get beaten so regularly? Bont had a better second half but his year has been pretty ordinary. Macrae doesn't hurt anyone by foot, Lipinski just seems too vanilla. We need some dare, another Smith would be great but even a Hill or Isaac Smith type. I'm worried our mids are too similar besides Bailey.

2. The list needs fixing. I've been banging on about it in recent times but we have too many 'same' types. Macrae, Hunter, Lipinski and Dunkley don't hurt opposition enough and are one paced. Dale, Lloyd, Schache, Gowers, McLean and Wallis have 'moments' but rarely more than that and none of them have any real identifiable strength. Weightman sounds like he could help but we need another high energy forward with goal nous. It's just too easy to defend our other forwards, they're so predictable.

3. We rely on maximum effort more than almost any other club. When we don't get 110% effort, we can't win and we've proven at times to be completely uncompetitive. That's a real worry but it ties into my point above. When we aren't dominating possession/clearances and running with space and freedom, who gets their hands dirty to grind? Smith is Numero uno, Libba only does it in bursts but not for a whole game, Bont does it, Macrae most of the time, Keath does. But there's a LOT who don't. We often look slow, out of position and reactive.

As a side note, I don't know how long we persist with Dale, Wallis and McLean. They're capable AFL players but I just don't see how we can keep playing them (+ Schache + Lipinski) in the same side.

15. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Jack Martin for free must be one of the greatest recruiting heists ever.
    2. Smith doesn’t care who he trash talks, Cripps tonight but he backs it up so it’s good to see for a change.
    3. The system is plan a,b and z. Surely the press could’ve sat deeper once they showed their hand.

Post Thanks / Like

So what was tactically different about our defensive scheme tonight vs last week? Last week north couldn’t get clean delivery inside 50 as we had number everywhere. Tonight, space galore. Surely it can’t be as simple for teams to beat us by just flooding our forward 50 then flinging the ball out of our 50 and run it through an absolute paddock to a certain goal. Surely it can’t be that easy. But from rounds 1,2 and 6 that’s what’s happened for 4 quarters and nothing has been done to change the situation.

18. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. Delivery into forward 50 is still a major concern

2. Missed a bit of experience to steady the ship - Crozier was a big loss and all I can say is FU AFL

3. Mids have got to be more damaging
    Agree with this. Our mids are struggling particularly Macrae who is not damaging with his possessions and not getting the clearances out of the middle like he used to. He is getting a lot of junk stats.

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Schache is a dry weather footballer. Only.

2. I love you Rhylee West, but can you please stop flying for marks while Josh Bruce is in the same contest?

3. We pick and choose when we're "on". We really need to be more ruthless.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post