Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry weather footballers

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Schache only had 57% game time yesterday.
    That's worrying. Injury/niggle?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That's worrying. Injury/niggle?
    My take? Bevo was jack of him so sat him on the pine.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The comment from jeemak is spot on - Schache is just not suited to games where congestion is a big factor. He is really only able to get involved when he can use his aerobic attributes and his skills in more open space.
    But why was it so congested?

Because of the handball game which led to a high kick into the half forward flank. Put most of the forwards in a confined space. Carlton was able to spoil and get the ball out to free players who had space to run the ball down the ground.

we have few players who naturally hold the ball long enough to see good options.

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Cox and Craig Ellis. Both were deplorable wet weather footballers.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

How wet was it?

McKay, McGovern and Casboult took 18 marks on Carlton’s forward line and kicked 6 goals.

I can’t see weather as a significant factor. It was simply a repeat of last year.

once the opposition put big bodies on the forward line, and feed them from the middle of the ground, I see most of our backmen in the same pack trying to spoil. The small forwards stay down and have a feast.

Poor selection.

6. Likes GVGjr, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that gameplan or personnel? Bont did his usual one-handed Doug Hawkins like pick-up at one stage. Conversely, Ed Richards had one of the worst games I've seen him play.
    You know I'm not sure. We aren't the most skilful team so you would think wet weather would play into our hands. But then we arent the most contested side either. I'm actually not sure what our strength is. 2016 was about being contested animals and applying relentless pressure. But that contested side has largely gone from out game and now we seem to be without an identity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    But why was it so congested?

Because of the handball game which led to a high kick into the half forward flank. Put most of the forwards in a confined space. Carlton was able to spoil and get the ball out to free players who had space to run the ball down the ground.

we have few players who naturally hold the ball long enough to see good options.
    Pressing so high we didn't spread their defenders, and as you say, our overuse by hand enabled them to fill space and or put us under pressure resulting in dirty high ball going into the fifty. Pretty much the same issues as we've had when not playing well for the last few years.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    You know I'm not sure. We aren't the most skilful team so you would think wet weather would play into our hands. But then we arent the most contested side either. I'm actually not sure what our strength is. 2016 was about being contested animals and applying relentless pressure. But that contested side has largely gone from out game and now we seem to be without an identity.
    Sure wet weather can bring teams closer together, though it's usually the team with better skills that plays well in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Pressing so high we didn't spread their defenders, and as you say, our overuse by hand enabled them to fill space and or put us under pressure resulting in dirty high ball going into the fifty. Pretty much the same issues as we've had when not playing well for the last few years.
    Bevo said in the members message the defenders pushed up too high and we will address it during the week. Why couldn't we address it during the game?

11. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Bevo said in the members message the defenders pushed up too high and we will address it during the week. Why couldn't we address it during the game?
    Yeah there's more to it surely. We had an entire offseason to address is after GWS and did nothing against the pies. Then we had virtually another offseason to address it against the saints and did nothing. Then we did seem to address it for 3 weeks. Excellent, the players got the message. They get it. Nope it happened again last night and for 4 quarters we were unable to do anything to rectify it. Where does the blame fall?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We're the number one team in the competition in scoring chains from the back half. IIRC we were for the second half of last season too.
    Teams that can shut down our space tend to suffocate use, Collingwood delivered a masterclass in round 1 in that regard. I'm wondering if in the wet we lose that time and space.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We're the number one team in the competition in scoring chains from the back half. IIRC we were for the second half of last season too.
    Teams that can shut down our space tend to suffocate use, Collingwood delivered a masterclass in round 1 in that regard. I'm wondering if in the wet we lose that time and space.
    It was the game in the wet against Port that gave the team the confidence and momentum to storm into the finals last year.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't so much the weather as it was the game-plan and attitude we brought. Some of our players sure cannot play in the wet, others can and proved such last year but performed awfully last night.

17. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    A fair bit was left to Cordy and Keath - and for them to have to play 100% game time because we went in so short in defence and no other options there wasn't ideal. Wood having to play taller, it would appear (hard to tell on tv), gave him less capacity to peel off and go third man up or intercept.

Post Thanks / Like

A fair bit was left to Cordy and Keath - and for them to have to play 100% game time because we went in so short in defence and no other options there wasn't ideal. Wood having to play taller, it would appear (hard to tell on tv), gave him less capacity to peel off and go third man up or intercept.
    With Crozier not playing that was amplified. Ahem, but not sure if anyone's mentioned this but we have Trengove and Young who can play tall as well.