Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

549 posts since I last logged on...

...let me guess.

We played and lost?

Or Rian Gryphin has quit the club and is moving to "the Orange"?

Or we decided to select Christian Howard (or Tim Walsh) with our first round selection?

I know I can get a bit philosophical about some outcomes, but when you saw the rain didn't you figure we were in trouble? I mean, it's frustrating (really, really frustrating) but are there any match conditions less suited to our style of play than those last night? And well, it probably would help if we actually defended...but with Crozier out, getting organised behind the ball was always going to be tricky...and then there is that thing where Sammy Seaton turns into a super star whenever he plays us, and Jack Martin is a really (really, really) good player...

And yes, they ran away with it late but to be fair when you are pushing forward to try and score in order to win, you are always going to be vulnerable if you MISS...and we missed (or rather, mis-fired!).

I am worried about the hub because of the greasy conditions but if it rains like that again we are going to be in trouble...other than that, it's one game. Crozier will be back (and we will be more organised) and all will be OK.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 549 posts since I last logged on...

Thanks mjp.

You do have a voice of reason and you probably understand more about the game than the rest of us.

I have kept away for today.

There are enough other issues to deal with in life.
    Last edited by Bulldog Joe; 13-07-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure you'll be going through all of those 549 posts mjp, though I think the tone of what's been posted has been by and large reasonable.

Mostly what you've identified has been covered, and the discussion has been understanding that our opposition did things better than we did and that we also had our opportunities but wasted them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Crozier will be back (and we will be more organised) and all will be OK.
    One player makes such a difference?

I have my doubts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    There ate enough other issues to deal with in life.
    For me, footy is an outlet to escape the BS of what we're going through here in Victoria. Sucks when you wait all weekend and we produce that sort of performance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I love your posts MJP, you bring a different perspective.

Forecast for Friday night is 21 during the day and 14 low with 0% likelihood of precipitation
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a premiership captain out there if we cant get organised without Crozier there's bigger issues than the weather and Jack Martin.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    For me, footy is an outlet to escape the BS of what we're going through here in Victoria. Sucks when you wait all weekend and we produce that sort of performance.
    Come to WA mate...we are in the 'what virus' mode over here.

Feeling sorry for you guys in Melbourne town...the lockdown was brutal while it lasted here and I hoping and praying that it is over for you all soon.

11. Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

:-)

Was he though? Captain I mean.

I don't know - Wood in or out hasn't made much difference the last couple of years...though sometimes (like last week) he does some good things individually.

We have been the best defensive team in the comp for 3 weeks...on the weekend, we didn't leak inside 50's ( I think they had 40) but we DID leak goals...it was the Saints game all over again. We are better than that and sometimes you play better than others...

I refuse to get upset about one bad game right now. If we dish up the same stuff vs Essendon, then we have a real problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know - Wood in or out hasn't made much difference the last couple of years...though sometimes (like last week) he does some good things individually.

We have been the best defensive team in the comp for 3 weeks...on the weekend, we didn't leak inside 50's ( I think they had 40) but we DID leak goals...it was the Saints game all over again. We are better than that and sometimes you play better than others...

I refuse to get upset about one bad game right now. If we dish up the same stuff vs Essendon, then we have a real problem.
    Premiership captain *

Agree, it is easy to be more vocal on here after a loss. It's a good platform to debrief constructively with the like minded. Tribalism is amazing. We recently had someone come to do work at our house, he rocked up in a dogs jacket. Instantly best friends.

Bombers will be tough.

Post Thanks / Like

but we DID leak goals...it was the Saints game all over again.
    The key stats showed we matched the Saints and we matched Carlton, but we couldn't score when inside 50 and we leaked goals as you say, however, Carlton did smash us in CP.

We need to make sure our game plan is followed this week and we don't leave our backline empty.

Crozier will make a difference, should Suckling also come in?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

After you called him out for his efforts the previous week I thought Wood came back to the pack a bit yesterday.
    I wish we could get Duryea in the park because I think he would do a lot for us organising the back line along with Crozier

I thought we were still a chance to pinch the game in the last quarter but there is no other way to look at it from my perspective because the way we capitulated was just so damn disappointing. You can't grow up a Bulldogs supporter and not be able to handle losses but there is a limit when we just go missing in a quarter.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Absolutely understand your sentiment.

I had 14 days in Victoria and my penalty is a further 14 days isolation in Tas now that I have returned. Not sure how I will cope if we dish up similar against Essendon and I have only got myself to argue with.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

...let me guess.

We played and lost?
    The problem is not that we lost. It is how we lost. The same way we have been doing regularly since mid 2017.

And what do we see as an attempt to change things? Nothing.

Before the game Carlton supporters were thrilled that we were giving their tall forwards a boost again . Their mids had premonitions that the game would be a repeat of last year.

During the game how did we respond in order to get more drive and cut off theirs. Nothing.

Did we move English to centre half back to allow Wood and JJ to play their natural game , Schache into the ruck to get him into the game, Wallis into the centre to lock down the flow into the into the backline from bounces, Cordy into the forward line to get better mobility and take pressure off the small forwards?

Nope, nothing. Except the usual put The Bont in the middle of the congestion where it’s easier for the opposition to lock him up.

Losing happens and is to be expected. The inertia we are experiencing - not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    After you called him out for his efforts the previous week I thought Wood came back to the pack a bit yesterday.
    I guess I wasn't really calling him out for his efforts as much as asking if the game he played was a sign of things to come or...something else.

I actually think it IS (was?) a sign of things to come...but if you want him to be the 'extra' then you need a full complement of defenders around him. We didn't have that so he was back into having to play on an opponent...which he is fine at but it sucks the life out of the best parts of his game.

Plus, trying to free up Wood is tough when you are playing a team that scores every time they go inside 50.