Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Football Analysis

Where do you go for your footy analysis? In my view Channel 7/Fox do a poor job of explaining the game in detail, and most of the footy shows are focussed more on creating a story than analysing the game itself. Woof is a great place for Bulldog discussion, and there are some people on here who really understand the game - thanks for sharing your knowledge.

This year I have found a number of great websites/regular articles which analyse the game in a greater detail with the use of data, specific examples and clearly explained footage.

The Football Extension

Analysis articles put out regularly, with the focus this week on the Dogs v Carlton match. It is a fascinating read to understand how the Blues were so effective against us, and highlights the areas that we need to work on. Their conclusion:
    "Carlton’s key forward brigade pushing up the field and applying pressure at the contest helped Carlton create space for their kick-dominant ball movement to take place cleanly.

While the majority of Carlton’s forwards pushed up the ground to create space in and behind them, the role of their deepest forward/s, and their ability to lengthen once Carlton won possession, afforded Carlton even more space ahead of the ball, whilst also negating the potential intercept ability of the Bulldog’s spare defender.

By pressuring the Bulldog’s handball outlets out of contests and stoppages, Carlton were able to limit the Bulldog’s run-and-carry from the likes of Daniel and Johannisen. This also created turnover opportunities, in which Carlton could quickly move the ball and score.

Given these scenarios created by the Blues pushing forwards up the ground, the Bulldogs struggled to impact the game through their spare behind the ball. In comparison, the likes of Michael Gibbons and Jack Martin, who rolled up to stoppages, were able to impact the game directly, either through their pressure (19 defensive half pressure acts between them, game average per player 6.11), or on the scoreboard (two goals each)."

The Shinboner
    A Norf-centric blog which had a great article after our game against the Roos, and also provides a weekly article about the broader AFL. The writer @rickm18 also puts some great clips on Twitter.

The ABC also has a weekly analysis column, which is generally shared on Twitter by @jcoventry.

So where do you get your 'in-depth' football analysis and discussion? Woof, Twitter, or do you have some particular analysts you like to read?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Analysis

Really nice recommendation with The Football Extension. Had never heard of them before and their breakdown of our game really showed how hard Carlton's forwards worked up and down the ground. It also revealed how to negate Caleb Daniel.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread. My friends and I who follow the world game are always lamenting the lack of analysis in our game. In game commentators stating the obvious, lack of down the ground vision and over use of tight shots, also drives us mad!
    Recently we discovered some work being done by ABC analysts Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson to be quite informative analysis with some video examples see link. Just discovered their work but it’s the sort of stuff we are looking for.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-1...prung/12456660

Edit : Football extension article was exactly the stuff we are after thanks for sharing !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jazzadog for the links. The Football extension article is a very enjoyable read and there should be more of them. The main news articles don't bother with this sort of stuff.

I have subscribed to both the Football Ext and Shinboner.

Not sure if there are more publications out there, but if anyone finds them, please post up the links.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Football Extension article on our carlton game was great reading. Summed up what we have discussed here in the post match thread with carlton sending an extra to our forward line. Be interesting to hear from those on here what we can do to combat carltons extra man up forward. Sounds like we didn’t simply press too high (I’m sure we did) but instead didn’t work hard enough around contests and didn’t force carlton to direct the ball to certain areas of the ground where our +1 defender can take advantage.

The impact on JJ and Daniel was interesting too. When those two are nullified we normally are having a bad day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The Football Extension article on our carlton game was great reading. Summed up what we have discussed here in the post match thread with carlton sending an extra to our forward line. Be interesting to hear from those on here what we can do to combat carltons extra man up forward. Sounds like we didn’t simply press too high (I’m sure we did) but instead didn’t work hard enough around contests and didn’t force carlton to direct the ball to certain areas of the ground where our +1 defender can take advantage.

The impact on JJ and Daniel was interesting too. When those two are nullified we normally are having a bad day.
    That clip where the ball was squeezed out of our 50 and McGovern took the mark and quickly played on to McKay who marked running hard back into their forward line was not good watching for Zaine. Started just behind his opponent as McGovern turned to kick and ended up no where near McKay.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That clip where the ball was squeezed out of our 50 and McGovern took the mark and quickly played on to McKay who marked running hard back into their forward line was not good watching for Zaine. Started just behind his opponent as McGovern turned to kick and ended up no where near McKay.
    Yeah it's not pretty. Something that is hard to pick up on when watching on tv.
    What's also bad is a lot of the still images that show a lot of our guys guarding space right around the 50 with them about to kick the ball in. We either looked lost of lazy a lot of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    . Be interesting to hear from those on here what we can do to combat carltons extra man up forward.
    Teams like Hawthorn, Geelong always have at least three players that don't go any further than the centre, and stand across the ground like a wall. We just need to not follow our man up the ground like like week, and have designated defenders holding back to guard the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fox Footy is far from perfect (hello Dwayne Pipe) but they do have some good analysts that dissect the tactical side of the game well - in particular Gary Lyon, Jason Dunstall and Nick Riewoldt. David King is ok on that score as well, but not as good as he thinks he is. Also Ross Lyon has been exceptional since moving into the media this year - his work on Footy Classified on Wednesday evenings is top shelf and unfortunately all too short while the enormous egos of Eddie and Caro hog the airtime.

Ch 7 have actually given up on the pretense of even basic analysis altogether this season. They are an indictment on the game and on themselves. As the chief broadcaster of our game, they simply need to be removed forever - they clearly do not give a shit about the game and are only involved to cynically use the game to make stars out of their commentators. On that score their coverage is much closer in style to a nondescript reality TV series who prioritise the judges over the contestants - this is exactly what Ch 7 do with their commentators over the players and the actual game.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Fox Footy is far from perfect (hello Dwayne Pipe) but they do have some good analysts that dissect the tactical side of the game well - in particular Gary Lyon, Jason Dunstall and Nick Riewoldt. David King is ok on that score as well, but not as good as he thinks he is. Also Ross Lyon has been exceptional since moving into the media this year - his work on Footy Classified on Wednesday evenings is top shelf and unfortunately all too short while the enormous egos of Eddie and Caro hog the airtime.

Ch 7 have actually given up on the pretense of even basic analysis altogether this season. They are an indictment on the game and on themselves. As the chief broadcaster of our game, they simply need to be removed forever - they clearly do not give a shit about the game and are only involved to cynically use the game to make stars out of their commentators. On that score their coverage is much closer in style to a nondescript reality TV series who prioritise the judges over the contestants - this is exactly what Ch 7 do with their commentators over the players and the actual game.
    I don't watch the show but remember seeing a segment on us after our loss to the Saints. He pointed out that we were lazy and not quick enough in manning the mark. This was leading to the saints going from one end of the ground to the other with ease. I made a point of looking at this in our game the following week and surprise surprise we made a much better effort and it paid dividends.

Ex-coaches would make ideal analyst commentators. I mean recent ex-coaches. Even assistant coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Fox Footy is far from perfect (hello Dwayne Pipe) but they do have some good analysts that dissect the tactical side of the game well - in particular Gary Lyon, Jason Dunstall and Nick Riewoldt. David King is ok on that score as well, but not as good as he thinks he is.
    Don't they just state the bleeding obvious and present it like it is a gift being bestowed?

I still think the TV analysts tell you the *WHAT* - but are terrible at the WHY. I mean, we can SEE team x is playing an extra at the stoppage, or one team has changed from zoning to 1v1 with the outside mids at bti's...but what I want to know is WHY exactly they *THINK* that has happened. And WHY is one player or another playing in a role? Give us something that we can't SEE.

Stats aren't the answer here. Well - maybe interpretation of them can be an answer, but surely these guys are there because having played at the highest level they can provide some info as to what is behind a particular tactic on a particular day. Over the past couple of weeks we have seen GWS lose the i50 count by 20 and comfortably win, and Carlton lose the i50 count by 12 or something and comfortably win. How about an in-flight comparison of how those two stat-lines reflect similarity or differences in those two teams - and what is different in the outcomes of the games vs a common opponent (Dogs) in a 3-week time span.

What do I want from the commentators? Something I can't work out for myself by just watching the game...when are we going to get some genuine inside track info? And if the answer is never, then why are they there.

Watching the Hunter/Docherty song-and-dance act last week week was interesting. Why was Hunter selected for that role? Why the change to McLean later? Had anyone spoken to the coaches about this? Why did they do it? Is that why Hunter seemed so desperate to win the footy early in the last? Why, why, why?

I want them to do some actual work. Get some stuff prepared. Ask the coaches some pre-game questions and be prepared to share the answers. Dig into x's and o's and share...not state information that anyone who has watched the game for more than 5-minutes can recognise in an instant.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I want them to do some actual work. Get some stuff prepared. Ask the coaches some pre-game questions and be prepared to share the answers. Dig into x's and o's and share...not state information that anyone who has watched the game for more than 5-minutes can recognise in an instant.
    I nodded so much reading that I've done something to my neck.
    I would love to see a commentary model with one genuine caller (Hudson, Whateley, Donegan, Jason Bennett are all good) and a couple of experts sans ego who analyse and bounce of each other with ideas of what is happening. Like to see more coaches in this role, lesser known assistants for eg.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 17-07-2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: phone typing fun times

Post Thanks / Like

It's great to see this type of media out there. I'll take note in the future, as it's nice to either agree or disagree with people who understand the game and aren't constrained by network priorities. thanks for posting.

Interestingly, a bit of positional discipline could have made this week's article redundant. Is holding a field position knowing you always have space to roll back to that much of a concern, or does it require experience? Are our defenders worried if they don't press up the outlet will be too easy and our slow forward line will struggle to contain the footy in transition?

If it's obvious to these guys and a lot of us (albeit not shown on major network broadcasts) how do professionals *!*!*!*! it up so often? I think it has to be between the ears.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how much these guys take into account the game is played us versus them, and by that I mean, the way we want to play versus the way our opposition wants to play.

The Daniel example they use and a couple of others highlights the potential of this mantra. Anyway, even if they don't the fact they're talking and presenting at this level inspires much higher quality debate.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The Shinboner has gone into some detail on our third quarter dominance (link) - the video it refers to, and rest of the round wrap-up, can be found at the link:

The Bulldogs, spreading a defence
    In recent weeks we’ve covered how Essendon’s defensive efforts have been both excellent and what its entire game has relied on as it works into improving the offensive side.

On Friday night, and in particular the third quarter, we saw what happens against a side which can work around that pressure and leave Essendon with few answers. The Bulldogs ran riot in the term, a +36 disposal advantage along with kicking 5.3 from 13 inside 50s, compared to Essendon’s 0.3 from eight entries.

Those extra Bulldogs disposals were key as they simultaneously picked holes in the defence while stretching the ground as wide as possible, a tough line to straddle. It never gave the Bombers much of a chance to pressure like they have so well over the last month or so.

This passage of play sums it up best. From a kick out, the Bulldogs maintain possession for 40 seconds with six kicks, six handballs and six marks, eventually finding Jason Johannisen with an uncontested mark inside 50.

First the Bulldogs go wide from the kick out, but instead of being pinned close to the boundary Lachie Hunter moves inboard. It’s the type of aggressive kick Essendon normally thrive on, but the angle was changed just enough to avoid what had been set up down the line, finding a leading Cody Weightman.

Then even as the ball goes through the centre circle and Essendon numbers try to swarm on Hunter, notice how the Bulldogs have deliberately kept options open in every direction.

It allows Hunter to almost blindly fling a handball backwards, knowing he has cover and realising the disposal defuses that Essendon layer of defence around the ball.

The zig-zag movement following the handball allows Bailey Smith to easily find Johannisen for a shot he converts. Just excellent work all round from the Bulldogs.
    The kick from Hunter to find Weightman's chest in a field of defenders is ridiculous. That play also highlights his workrate and ability to stay involved in the play.

There is also an analyst on Twitter (Richard Little @alittlefitness) who posts some nice images with a statistical focus. This tweet is an example, where he highlights how the Bombers were unable to convert possession into Inside-50s and had three long gaps where we completely dominated territory. It's a really nice visualisation of possession that I haven't seen before.

20. Thanks azabob, Bulldog Joe, bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post