Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Analysis

Some football analysis from Richard Little Data Scientist at VIS and ex Essendon Analytics - on the Saints win and accurate kicking

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Because of Jazzdogs recommendations I stumbled across Rob Harding on Twitter @robharding21. He is/has done AFL opposition strategy analysis and he live tweets certain games on what is happening, why it is happening and what the opposition need to do. As a layman in this stuff I find it extremely interesting and he responds to questions asked.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Because of Jazzdogs recommendations I stumbled across Rob Harding on Twitter @robharding21. He is/has done AFL opposition strategy analysis and he live tweets certain games on what is happening, why it is happening and what the opposition need to do. As a layman in this stuff I find it extremely interesting and he responds to questions asked.
    yes I have done the same. The above post is from Richard Little @alittlefitness

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    yes I have done the same. The above post is from Richard Little @alittlefitness
    I wonder why he doesn't use the name Dick instead of Richard?

The saint's have certainly opened up some teams this season. The get the ball forward so quickly with numbers running forward. It causes panic amongst defenders. Its their transition from offence to defence and vice versa that has been impressive. With their defence holding up well it gives them confidence moving forward.

Against us most of their goals seems to be from the goal square so it wasn't surprising their accuracy was very good again.

Maybe we should have someone following these Richard Little and Rob Harding on twitter in the coaches box
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

The saints have been incredibly accurate this season because they have so much space in their 50 that they get most of their chances in great positions. Or, they use their 2nd ruck and the long arms of King to bring the ball to ground for their excellent crumbing players. How they get that much space inside 50 (as opposed to us who have 100,000 people) is interesting. Obviously they transition very quickly from defence, but how? They seem to play large numbers around the ball and draw the opposition with them. It’s just work rate

Post Thanks / Like

I heard an interesting observation on the weekend - where a team has confidence that their key forward(s) will not get outmarked (at least getting the ball to ground), the small forwards and onballers will run forward knowing there is likely a ground ball opportunity. Where the key forward is regularly being outmarked their teammates will be hesitant to over-commit forward, not wanting to get burnt on the rebound. As a result the chance to win a forward 50 loose ball is greatly diminished. Shows the importance of a competitive key forward, even if they aren't clunking marks. I think this is part of St Kilda's success.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The % of scores from stoppages was interesting. I was expecting us to be at the bottom and we weren't far off it in terms of scores from around the ground stoppages (surprise surprise) but Richmond are essentially dead last in both centre and around the ground stoppages. Yet they're the favourites for the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound familiar?

"Winning the ball in tight at the back of the contest can make it difficult to find clear space. Rather than immediately attacking after winning possession, teams can often get stuck in a handball loop as they look to work the ball out.

There's also nuanced positioning in the outer layer of the stoppage. Teams need to decide whether to man to up the opposing sweeper to make them accountable or gamble on having a spare elsewhere.
    "

Post Thanks / Like

A snapshot look at the Bulldogs Without the Ball by the Shinboner.

It looks at the 15 minute patch in the second quarter V Brisbane.

It also has still shots and GIFs highlighting certain plays.

I have pasted the link only so the page can gets some views.

https://theshinboner.com/2020/08/13/...sis-shinboner/
    Last edited by azabob; 13-08-2020 at 12:07 PM.

12. Thanks Rocket Science, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A snapshot look at the Bulldogs Without the Ball by the Shinboner.

It looks at the 15 minute patch in the second Quarter.

It also has still shots and GIFs highlighting certain plays.

I have pasted the link only so the page can gets some views.

https://theshinboner.com/2020/08/13/...sis-shinboner/
    "There’s no question what the Bulldogs can do with ball in hand. But that’s only half the game"

Bevo needs to have this painted in huge letters on the wall of the locker room, or the hotel lobby.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the matter of analysis and individual vs collective backline responsibility ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    On the matter of analysis and individual vs collective backline responsibility ...

Can you please explain what this means for the untrained

Post Thanks / Like

Is it loss % of one on one contests?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that's the number of 1v1 contests along the bottom and the loss rate up the side.

Eg: Harris Andrews has contested 55 1v1s for a loss rate of about 15%. Charlie Ballard has contested 36 1v1s for a loss rate of 36%.

I'm surprised Keath has such a high loss rate, I thought he had been fairly solid 1v1 this season. I guess not all 1v1s are created equal though. There are those that should be fairly easily spoiled and then there are those where the kick is to advantage and gives the defender little chance. I can't recall being upset that Keath failed to spoil something he should have too many times.

Williams is less surprising. He is solid in the air when intercepting, but defending isn't his go.

19. Thanks bornadog, Rocket Science thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post