Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Football Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's the number of 1v1 contests along the bottom and the loss rate up the side.

Eg: Harris Andrews has contested 55 1v1s for a loss rate of about 15%. Charlie Ballard has contested 36 1v1s for a loss rate of 36%.

I'm surprised Keath has such a high loss rate, I thought he had been fairly solid 1v1 this season. I guess not all 1v1s are created equal though. There are those that should be fairly easily spoiled and then there are those where the kick is to advantage and gives the defender little chance.

Williams is less surprising. He is solid in the air when intercepting, but defending isn't his go.
    Its all relative. He is our best 1 on 1 defender (at a guess) so by default we rate him!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it considered a 1 on 1 contest when you're 10-20 metres in front of your direct opponent, and watch the ball sail over your head for an easy mark?

Asking for a friend.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Its all relative. He is our best 1 on 1 defender (at a guess) so by default we rate him!
    Funnily enough I just looked up Cordy's loss rate this season - an excellent 17.6% (3 from 17). A big improvement on his career average.

Keath has lost 9 from 24.
    Williams 9 from 15.
    Wood 3 from 13.
    Gardner 5 from 11.

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Is it considered a 1 on 1 contest when you're 10-20 metres in front of your direct opponent, and watch the ball sail over your head for an easy mark?

Asking for a friend.
    The “over 40 metre kick to the other team counts as an effective disposal” loophole for key defenders.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Article on our win over Melbourne, from the website Stats Insider.

https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/...r-season-alive
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Thanks Grantysghost, bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Richard Little

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks Axe Man, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    10 out of 17 final quarter inside 50s resulting in turnovers seems like a particularly poor result. Was this structure, decision making or fatigue impairing skill execution? Probably a bit of everything.

By comparison the Cats had 15 of their 22 resulting in either scores or stoppages. They were so efficient in the final quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    10 out of 17 final quarter inside 50s resulting in turnovers seems like a particularly poor result. Was this structure, decision making or fatigue impairing skill execution? Probably a bit of everything.

By comparison the Cats had 15 of their 22 resulting in either scores or stoppages. They were so efficient in the final quarter.
    Surely fatigue played a big part

Post Thanks / Like

Good analysis that confirms what I saw on the night. Whilst everybody gets hung up on the ruck situation and nobody (including Bevo) is happy with things at the moment, it wasn't why we lost.

14. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good analysis that confirms what I saw on the night. Whilst everybody gets hung up on the ruck situation and nobody (including Bevo) is happy with things at the moment, it wasn't why we lost.
    I get what you are saying but is there an element of the fact that we are entering games each week with one less midfield rotation because we are running Dunks in the ruck and therefore into the ground?

This time last year he was a real force for us with our midfield rotations, he not the same player now because of the way we are using him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get what you are saying but is there an element of the fact that we are entering games each week with one less midfield rotation because we are running Dunks in the ruck and therefore into the ground?

This time last year he was a real force for us with our midfield rotations, he not the same player now because of the way we are using him
    And we tried to make him a forward last year from memory ? Does Bevo just not rate him as a mid ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And we tried to make him a forward last year from memory ? Does Bevo just not rate him as a mid ?
    I don't think it's that. We tried for the first 5 games of last season to play him mainly as a forward but once he moved into his more natural midfield role his performances and that of the clubs improved as well.

Dunkley is going to answer whatever challenge is thrown at him but this one appears to be a big ask
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

There is only so much midfield time to go around (unless You play Dunkley as a ruck/mid hybrid as we are currently doing, but that's a whole different conversation). This year Dunk's midfield minutes have largely been taken up by Libba and Bailey Smith, as compared to last year and it's not like they have been poor. Josh's effectiveness in the midfield is clearly diminished by playing in the ruck, but is that a net gain or loss for the team - I don't know.

We would love to see 2019 Dunkley back again but to be fair he wasn't present early in the season before injury and ruck work either.

Post Thanks / Like

From Richard Little