Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forward focus fine for Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    1981 - Shane Loveless (hit the piss and went bush)
    1989 - Adrian Campbell (terrible knee injury the following year)
    1993 - Danny Del Re (out of favour with Joycey)
    1995 - Richard Osborne (joined the filth)
    1996 - Jason Watts (disappeared, along with his perfect hair)
    1997 - Simon Minton-Connell (couldn't mark above his chest)
    2004 - Jade Rawlings (sook who didn't want to be there)
    2009 - Jason Akermanis (douchebag)
    1978 Kelvin Templeton 118
    1979 Kelvin Templeton 91
    1980 Kelvin Templeton 75

1981 preseason game does his knee never plays a decent game again, gone at the end of 1982.

1982 Simon Beasley 82
    1983 Simon Beasley 69
    1984 Simon Beasley 61
    1985 Simon Beasley 105
    1986 Simon Beasley 88
    1987 Simon Beasley 73
    1988 Simon Beasley 82

Retired by R10 in 1989.

2002 Nathan Brown 57
    2003 Nathan Brown 56

2004 was playing at Richmond

2010 Barry Hall 80
    2011 Barry Hall 55

Retired at the end of 2011.

Winning our goalkicking is a curse!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the adage is true, you're not truly done at the top level until you've topped the Dogs' goalkicking.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

So.

Anyone else feeling a bit, let’s say, realistic about Wallis as a forward long term? He was totally anonymous in the final aside from a couple of gifted opportunities, and he really seems like the sort of player who can’t make his own chances at goal.

I love him but he can’t be our first option.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So.

Anyone else feeling a bit, let’s say, realistic about Wallis as a forward long term? He was totally anonymous in the final aside from a couple of gifted opportunities, and he really seems like the sort of player who can’t make his own chances at goal.

C'mon man we have enough forwards to be soberingly realistic about without doing Mitch as well.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    C'mon man we have enough forwards to be soberingly realistic about without doing Mitch as well.
    I can't recall a time where a high ball came in or where the ball was in front of Mitch and he made a goal happen. Naughton had a shocking year but I can think of plenty of examples of both.

He is definitely a cog in a good forward line but he can't be the focal point like he was most of this year. Yet another thing that is Josh Bruce's fault.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall a time where a high ball came in or where the ball was in front of Mitch and he made a goal happen. Naughton had a shocking year but I can think of plenty of examples of both.

He is definitely a cog in a good forward line but he can't be the focal point like he was most of this year. Yet another thing that is Josh Bruce's fault.
    Mitch is our 2020 Brad Johnson, we wish a 5'11" bloke wasn't our KPF but doesn't mean he's a bad player
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Mitch is our 2020 Brad Johnson, we wish a 5'11" bloke wasn't our KPF but doesn't mean he's a bad player
    Not sure that Mitch is as multi dimensonal ad Johnno, but I do believe he has 'fabric' qualities, that are important.

He's come back from an historically horrific injury. Nathan Brown never recovered from a similar injury.

I think Mitch can play an important role over the next 2 -3 years, in our forward line, and his intangibles will supplement Naughty and Jamarra.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Wallis on the forward line is the hardworking guy who scores goals and also creates goals for his teammates. Would be interesting to see his assist stats this year as well as his goal stats. The other good thing about wallis is that he is acccurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Not sure that Mitch is as multi dimensonal ad Johnno, but I do believe he has 'fabric' qualities, that are important.

He's come back from an historically horrific injury. Nathan Brown never recovered from a similar injury.

I think Mitch can play an important role over the next 2 -3 years, in our forward line, and his intangibles will supplement Naughty and Jamarra.
    Yeah I think he’s good enough to warrant opposition attention. And this was proven on multiple occasions a last season. That’s all you can ask for with Mitch. He was never supposed to be the main guy but credit to him (and debit to Bruce/Dale/Lloyd etc) for becoming that last year. We won’t go very far if he continues to be our no 1 forward though. But if he continues last seasons output then the opposition will be forced to put attention into him. Given he’s a fantastic 1-1 forward that can only benefit Naughts and Jamarra as we can isolate Mitch away from the others to drag defenders away. How we never got that right last season is a mystery to me but hopefully we get it right for 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Agree. Wallis on the forward line is the hardworking guy who scores goals and also creates goals for his teammates. Would be interesting to see his assist stats this year as well as his goal stats. The other good thing about wallis is that he is accurate.
    25 goals, 11 assists
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Mitch plays nothing like Johnno.
    Johnno could out-run anyone who could spoil him, and outmark anyone who could run with him.

Wallis is great. He's unique. He rarely marks above his head, is slow as a wet week, and doesn't have much (if any) X factor.

He's also incredibly smart in positioning as the "other" option, has ridiculous core strength so in any wrestle he invariably holds his position and marks the ball, and even better never gets in the way of the big guys who fly for marks and/or bring the ball to ground. Wally's opponent never gives a chop-out to his teammates because Wally doesn't allow them to.

He's a good solid cog and even better - he sacrificed his natural game and preferred position for the good of the team. A few other blokes on our list should take note.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Mitch plays nothing like Johnno.
    Johnno could out-run anyone who could spoil him, and outmark anyone who could run with him.

Wallis is great. He's unique. He rarely marks above his head, is slow as a wet week, and doesn't have much (if any) X factor.

He's also incredibly smart in positioning as the "other" option, has ridiculous core strength so in any wrestle he invariably holds his position and marks the ball, and even better never gets in the way of the big guys who fly for marks and/or bring the ball to ground. Wally's opponent never gives a chop-out to his teammates because Wally doesn't allow them to.

He's a good solid cog and even better - he sacrificed his natural game and preferred position for the good of the team. A few other blokes on our list should take note.
    He also flies the flag if necessary. He is a tough bugger.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So.

I was pretty happy to let him go when Brisbane were sniffing around as i didn't think him being a good forward was sustainable but his 2020 has done enough to alleviate my fears.

While I share your concerns as to his limitations to get involved i do think he has two key attributes no one else brings to our team:

Very importantly, he is a steadying influence in front of goal. We have had many issues throughout the Beveridge era with dominating play for little reward or needing a goal to stay in touch. We know that if Mitch gets a shot within 40m it is almost always a goal, and much like when Dickson used to calm us down by banking those opportunities having Mitch as the only bloke we can rely on to convert them means he is very important. We have no one else on the list who has shown an ability to kick those important regulation goals.

Secondly, and MJP often harps on about this (although I am going to butcher the words involved), is that you need some fabric players on the list that have had to overcome adversity to get to where they are and drive standards within the group. Think Picken, Morris, Boyd etc. Mitch was a high draft pick and a father son recruit, so he had an easy start to his career, but since then has struggled for form, struggled for a position and had his fair share of injury hardship as well, and he has still managed to dig himself into our best 22. Having a guy like him in the side is very important for the group dynamic.

He adds more things, he is hard at it, flies the flag and is clearly a leader, and we have the added bonus of never having to use him in the midfield again which is a win. He does lack mobility but luckily the talls we want to play forward with him (with the very clear exception of Bruce) all cover the ground well, are pretty quick and decent at ground level (English if he plays forward might not be amazing at all of those tbf), so he doesn't make our forwardline too top heavy.

I am very happy to have Mitch as a regular part of our forwardline until we have someone else push him out and deliver on the things only he is capable of delivering on atm.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes Mofra, Sedat, The Underdog, Smads57, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what soupa said
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We know that if Mitch gets a shot within 40m it is almost always a goal,
    those two misses in the EF would have made a difference to the result.