Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  106
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R10 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    KT after his knee injury maybe, but that's simply not true concerning a player who was a champion in a very weak team. Bruce's performance tonight was simply beyond incompetence.
    If we had KT we would have won, simple.

2. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Though Bruce has been very poor we bomb it to him and he also has his teammates attempting to outmark him. We rarely manufacture a one on one contest for him. He’d win his fair share of those just from his strength.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Though Bruce has been very poor we bomb it to him and he also has his teammates attempting to outmark him. We rarely manufacture a one on one contest for him. He’d win his fair share of those just from his strength.
    I think this is by design. Creating goals by luck and all that stuff is a lot easier (?) with the ball on the ground.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Spot on. I've been banging on about this for a while. Sadly with lockdown I've been watching my fair share of footy and we are by far the worst team (maybe except Adelaide, that's a maybe though) at generating quality F50 entries. We didn't have a single entry last night that ressembled anything of quality. It's diabolical.

Bruce's issues aren't the problem. They are a sympton of a larger issue. OK I admit he was terrible last night with his positioning and his poor ability to create a contest but you are right in that our putrid delivery and then other forwards don't help his cause by jumping for the same randomly kicked skyball. We only have to look at his one good outing vs North. He was unstoppable and you know why? Because that's the only game this year where we have had quality delivery into our F50 and our forwards have worked well together. Sadly Schache was a large cause of that and he no longer gets selected but more sadly is the fact that I think North contributed more to our success than we did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At least someone on hear acknowledges Bruce's condition. I have been calling him over weight, but maybe I should have been saying out of condition.
    I tend to think some people focus too much on age, height and now weight. They're minor considerations in assessing a players performance.
    If it was a problem with his weight then the club wouldn't or shouldn't be playing him.

What we can say about Bruce is that he just isn't performing well and has played just one good game for the season.
    On form, he shouldn't be selected each week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Spot on. I've been banging on about this for a while. Sadly with lockdown I've been watching my fair share of footy and we are by far the worst team (maybe except Adelaide, that's a maybe though) at generating quality F50 entries. We didn't have a single entry last night that ressembled anything of quality. It's diabolical.

Bruce's issues aren't the problem. They are a sympton of a larger issue. OK I admit he was terrible last night with his positioning and has poor ability to create a contest but you are right in that our other forwards don't help his cause by jumping for the same ball. We only have to look at the game vs North. He looked like unstoppable and you know why? Because that's the only game this year where we have had quality delivery into our F50 and our forwards have worked well together. Sadly Schache was a large cause of that but more sadly is the fact that I think North contributed more to our success than we did.
    Another tall who leads has to be part of the picture if he’s to become a decent player for us. He’s surrounded by slowish guys who aren’t natural crumbers. We fight hard to lock it in when it hits the deck but that creates more packs and congestion. Our goals are so hard to get. The one where Wallis tapped it to McLean was great persistence and winning multiple contests but oh for a few cheapies or what other sides do to us... getting it out the back and a simple chain of unattended players waltz to goal.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes Mofra, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Emotional post-game scenes after brave Bulldogs’ close loss to flag contenders Port Adelaide

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says his slide “let one slip” against Port Adelaide, lamenting several crucial turnovers during a valiant loss to the ladder-leaders.

Despite matching their opposition in clearances and contested possessions, the Bulldogs lost their second straight game on Monday night, going down to the Power by 13 points to take their 2020 record to 5-5.

Melbourne champion Garry Lyon described the Bulldogs’ effort as “brave” while Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy said Beveridge’s troops “didn’t lose any friends”.

“Their workrate is sensational, they’ve got a very young side and if you’re a Bulldogs supporter, you’d be pretty keen to be on the train at the moment,” Healy told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

Despite this, Beveridge and the Bulldogs were left devastated after a game that saw them boot 5.12 from 39 inside 50s, while the more efficient Power kicked 8.7 from 35 entries.

Gun defender and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen was seen close to tears post-game in the Bulldogs’ rooms. In the footage that aired on On The Couch, Johannisen was consoled by teammate Caleb Daniel, runner Daniel Giansiracusa and assistant coach Rohan Smith.

Lyon said Johannisen had a “couple of bad moments” during the game and may have taken it to heart.

Healy added: “I think everybody understands that we’ve all made serious blues and you can flagellate yourself, but ultimately his best efforts were there for everyone to see.”

Speaking to reporters post-game, Beveridge his side had “the game on our terms” for most of the night, but “invited” the Power back into it via a “couple of blatant turnovers”.

“We could have controlled, or made better use of, the football,” he said. “Those two or three times were really outside and open scoring opportunities for us too. It’s theoretically a possible 12-point turnaround.

“But to their credit, they won the day.”

A key area where the Bulldogs were dominated was around contested marks, with the Power winning the count 21-6. Charlie Dixon (5 contested marks) and Mitch Georgiades (3) starred up forward, while Trent McKenzie (3), Tom Clurey (2) and Tom Jonas (1) controlled the air in defence.

With Aaron Naughton sidelined due to injury, Beveridge said his small and mediums forwards were “struggling to compete in the air” at the moment.

“Their defenders took a few too many intercepts, but it happened at the other end of the ground too with Dixon and Georgiades taking eight between them. But that’s where we’re at,” he said.

“We’ve got to continue to pick sides that are going to get across the ground and win games on our terms. We had our opportunity tonight, so we let one slip.”

Healy said the Dogs would be “lamenting a lack of marking power” inside 50.

Lyon added: “They’re hanging out for Aaron Naughton as much as Port Adelaide would’ve been for Charlie Dixon (when he was injured). If Charlie Dixon plays for the Western Bulldogs (on Monday night), they win.

“They’ve tried so many different players going through there over the journey. They think they’ve got one in Aaron Naughton, they hope they have one in Josh Bruce, who only had two possessions.

“This is the balance that Luke Beveridge comes up with. Last week the effort was appalling against the Richmond footy club and there was no redeeming qualities in that at all. This is full of redemption, except on the scoreboard and they haven’t been able to convert.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    If we had KT we would have won, simple.
    Granted a 63 year old with dodgy knees probably wouldn't have been any less effective than Bruce last night, but I'm not sure he could have dragged us across the line.

12. Likes bornadog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Emotional post-game scenes after brave Bulldogs’ close loss to flag contenders Port Adelaide

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says his slide “let one slip” against Port Adelaide, lamenting several crucial turnovers during a valiant loss to the ladder-leaders.

Despite matching their opposition in clearances and contested possessions, the Bulldogs lost their second straight game on Monday night, going down to the Power by 13 points to take their 2020 record to 5-5.

Melbourne champion Garry Lyon described the Bulldogs’ effort as “brave” while Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy said Beveridge’s troops “didn’t lose any friends”.

“Their workrate is sensational, they’ve got a very young side and if you’re a Bulldogs supporter, you’d be pretty keen to be on the train at the moment,” Healy told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

Despite this, Beveridge and the Bulldogs were left devastated after a game that saw them boot 5.12 from 39 inside 50s, while the more efficient Power kicked 8.7 from 35 entries.

Gun defender and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen was seen close to tears post-game in the Bulldogs’ rooms. In the footage that aired on On The Couch, Johannisen was consoled by teammate Caleb Daniel, runner Daniel Giansiracusa and assistant coach Rohan Smith.

Lyon said Johannisen had a “couple of bad moments” during the game and may have taken it to heart.

Healy added: “I think everybody understands that we’ve all made serious blues and you can flagellate yourself, but ultimately his best efforts were there for everyone to see.”

Speaking to reporters post-game, Beveridge his side had “the game on our terms” for most of the night, but “invited” the Power back into it via a “couple of blatant turnovers”.

“We could have controlled, or made better use of, the football,” he said. “Those two or three times were really outside and open scoring opportunities for us too. It’s theoretically a possible 12-point turnaround.

“But to their credit, they won the day.”

A key area where the Bulldogs were dominated was around contested marks, with the Power winning the count 21-6. Charlie Dixon (5 contested marks) and Mitch Georgiades (3) starred up forward, while Trent McKenzie (3), Tom Clurey (2) and Tom Jonas (1) controlled the air in defence.

With Aaron Naughton sidelined due to injury, Beveridge said his small and mediums forwards were “struggling to compete in the air” at the moment.

“Their defenders took a few too many intercepts, but it happened at the other end of the ground too with Dixon and Georgiades taking eight between them. But that’s where we’re at,” he said.

“We’ve got to continue to pick sides that are going to get across the ground and win games on our terms. We had our opportunity tonight, so we let one slip.”

Healy said the Dogs would be “lamenting a lack of marking power” inside 50.

Lyon added: “They’re hanging out for Aaron Naughton as much as Port Adelaide would’ve been for Charlie Dixon (when he was injured). If Charlie Dixon plays for the Western Bulldogs (on Monday night), they win.

“They’ve tried so many different players going through there over the journey. They think they’ve got one in Aaron Naughton, they hope they have one in Josh Bruce, who only had two possessions.

“This is the balance that Luke Beveridge comes up with. Last week the effort was appalling against the Richmond footy club and there was no redeeming qualities in that at all. This is full of redemption, except on the scoreboard and they haven’t been able to convert.”
    Yuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I tend to think some people focus too much on age, height and now weight. They're minor considerations in assessing a players performance.
    Sorry GVGjr, these have to be taken into consideration. The sport is now made up of professional athletes. No longer can just talent get you over the line. You have to be in tip top shape, no matter what your height is, or age is, but running around with a few extra Kgs doesn't cut it.

Tell me, forgetting Bruce's playing performance, do you think he is at his best conditioning and fitness?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry GVGjr, these have to be taken into consideration. The sport is now made up of professional athletes. No longer can just talent get you over the line. You have to be in tip top shape, no matter what your height is, or age is, but running around with a few extra Kgs doesn't cut it.

Tell me, forgetting Bruce's playing performance, do you think he is at his best conditioning and fitness?
    Do you know his weight and fitness levels from his time at the Saints BAD?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bevo in his presser very pointedly made a reference to the JJ handball howler late in the 2nd qtr completely changing momentum of the game. I wonder if he gave JJ a big cook after the game that resulted in this outpouring of emotion.
    I suspect he didn't need to tell/cook JJ. One of those situations where it is pretty obvious, and everyone in the room knows it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Do you know his weight and fitness levels from his time at the Saints BAD?
    No I don't, but I can see from the naked eye he is not the same.

As poster Bullies said, he came back from iso out of condition and as you know, it is difficult to catch up. Last year he was the 5th best contested mark in the AFL, now he can barely leap.

Watch this and tell me if it the same player:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's clearly a different player BAD, are we sure Josh doesn't have a twin brother that's currently running around in the number 17 for us?

Post Thanks / Like

No I don't, but I can see from the naked eye he is not the same.

As poster Bullies said, he came back from iso out of condition and as you know, it is difficult to catch up. Last year he was the 5th best contested mark in the AFL, now he can barely leap.

Watch this and tell me if it the same player:

I'm honestly not sure BAD it's difficult to tell from the highlights. I mean highlights are always highlights and you could get together a roll of lowlights from 2019 as well - just ask any Saints fan.

He may have a bit of extra weight but he's been back training in our system for over two months and should be as fit as he is going to get. He's definitely moving better in those highlights. I don't know our delivery does not help him nor does the congestion in our forward line. Another decent target would also take the heat off him a bit. He appeared really frustrated last night. I'm thinking it's a confidence issue and a total lack of any cohesion with our game plan.

I'm still optimistic about him you don't lose his ability over night.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.