Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  126
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R11 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Was excellent against the Tigers in a disappointing game overall for us. Bont was great against the Swans but yes need to find the form again. Bont and Libba vitally important to our team.
    Was the one thing light against the Tiges Easty. It's funny that Jack is often in our best when we lose but seldom in our top 3 when we win.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Was the one thing light against the Tiges Easty. It's funny that Jack is often in our best when we lose but seldom in our top 3 when we win.
    It is funny. He is so consistent week to week which not a lot of players on our list can say. I've said it before that he's rarely missed a game for us. I think we'd notice big time if he were out injured/suspended.

Post Thanks / Like

you have too admit that Jack does not carry the ball, has no penetration in his kicking, does not get forward as a mid to score that often, is not quick and can often turn it over by making bad decisions. Don't get me wrong, I love him and have had him in my best most weeks this year but he seldom hurts the opposition in any meaningful way.
    The world’s best athletes stay the best because they have people monitoring every aspect of their performance and giving constructive criticism. I feel puzzled that nobody is doing that for Macrae. He could be the competition’s most valuable player with a few of the tweaks you mentioned. Something is lacking in the coaching when we haven’t seen some modifications over the last 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the only one there was a mongrel punt article a few weeks ago that said the very same thing. He's an accumulator and has been playing inside many teams will select one player to tag and Jack has been that player a few times. Re. Bont no impact is a stretch but he is down on form or playing injured and the opposition know it.

You often defend players and while I think it's admirable even you have too admit that Jack does not carry the ball, has no penetration in his kicking, does not get forward as a mid to score that often, is not quick and can often turn it over by making bad decisions. Don't get me wrong, I love him and have had him in my best most weeks this year but he seldom hurts the opposition in any meaningful way.
    I think we are just disagreeing over definitions. I don't believe the only way to hurt the opposition is to do the flashy outside things. Libba can hurt the opposition by denying their mids first use by winning the ball himself. A good backman can hurt the opposition by nullifying a forward. There's more than on way to skin a cat.

To me someone who doesn't hurt the opposition may be a mid that is overly conservative with their possessions, rarely looking to attack, or who has poor disposal and often hands to ball back to the other team. Macrae often hits aggressive angle kicks through the middle that open the ground up for his teammates - that's hurting the opposition to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The world’s best athletes stay the best because they have people monitoring every aspect of their performance and giving constructive criticism. I feel puzzled that nobody is doing that for Macrae. He could be the competition’s most valuable player with a few of the tweaks you mentioned. Something is lacking in the coaching when we haven’t seen some modifications over the last 3 years.
    Is 1ED mentioning tweeks or limitations? To me Macrae plays to his strengths, within his limitations. He can't get quicker or kick the ball further. He may be able to hit the scoreboard more but we have other mids more suited to that. I don't think there's much he needs to change. I strongly dispute that he often turns the ball over with bad decisions though - more of an exception than a rule I would have thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the only one there was a mongrel punt article a few weeks ago that said the very same thing. He's an accumulator and has been playing inside many teams will select one player to tag and Jack has been that player a few times. Re. Bont no impact is a stretch but he is down on form or playing injured and the opposition know it.

You often defend players and while I think it's admirable even you have too admit that Jack does not carry the ball, has no penetration in his kicking, does not get forward as a mid to score that often, is not quick and can often turn it over by making bad decisions. Don't get me wrong, I love him and have had him in my best most weeks this year but he seldom hurts the opposition in any meaningful way.
    I am strong disagreement with much of what you say about Macrae

Jack does not carry the ball True, but he is very effective at moving the ball on and being in position to receive. He provides the options for defenders and sets up scoring chains.

no penetration in his kicking Jack is not a long kick but his DE is very sound.

can often turn it over by making bad decisions I think his issue here is that he often chooses high risk options to get us going, but his turnover rate is not excessive.

he seldom hurts the opposition in any meaningful way His score involvement is ahead of Bont and Macrae is often the instigator of scoring chains, plus a few other opportunities that breakdown due to the performances of those further up the ground.

I do agree that he doesn't do enough in actually taking shots at goal and I am sometimes concerned that he has days where he doesn't work hard enough defensively, but generally that is an exception.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae is a gun what are we doing here.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am strong disagreement with much of what you say about Macrae

Jack does not carry the ball True, but he is very effective at moving the ball on and being in position to receive. He provides the options for defenders and sets up scoring chains.

no penetration in his kicking Jack is not a long kick but his DE is very sound.

can often turn it over by making bad decisions I think his issue here is that he often chooses high risk options to get us going, but his turnover rate is not excessive.

he seldom hurts the opposition in any meaningful way His score involvement is ahead of Bont and Macrae is often the instigator of scoring chains, plus a few other opportunities that breakdown due to the performances of those further up the ground.

I do agree that he doesn't do enough in actually taking shots at goal and I am sometimes concerned that he has days where he doesn't work hard enough defensively, but generally that is an exception.
    So you strongly disagree but then you proceed to break up the post and pretty much agree with everything I've said? Ok.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Is 1ED mentioning tweeks or limitations? To me Macrae plays to his strengths, within his limitations. He can't get quicker or kick the ball further. He may be able to hit the scoreboard more but we have other mids more suited to that. I don't think there's much he needs to change. I strongly dispute that he often turns the ball over with bad decisions though - more of an exception than a rule I would have thought.
    I think his kicking could be improved significantly.

At the moment his passes are floating towards the target and that allows the opposition valuable time to man up and either spoil or corral.

Not worried about distance but a flatter trajectory would help the forwards enormously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think we are just disagreeing over definitions. I don't believe the only way to hurt the opposition is to do the flashy outside things. Libba can hurt the opposition by denying their mids first use by winning the ball himself. A good backman can hurt the opposition by nullifying a forward. There's more than on way to skin a cat.

To me someone who doesn't hurt the opposition may be a mid that is overly conservative with their possessions, rarely looking to attack, or who has poor disposal and often hands to ball back to the other team. Macrae often hits aggressive angle kicks through the middle that open the ground up for his teammates - that's hurting the opposition to me.
    I think you're right. When I say hurting the opposition I meant more in terms of the examples I provided i.e. scoring (although he has brought this into his game over the past few years), carrying the ball etc. but in hindsight he's not that kind of mid, so perhaps I'm judging him for what he's not not based on what he is. I do understand how you define winning the ball in close (which he does at an elite level), as causing hurt to the opposition.

I'm not sure I agree on his kicking. It's been getting crazier and more high risk. Last year he started kicking like Piggy but without the penetration and , this season in particular, has been taking more and more risk with his kicks. Sure he's trying to be creative and get us going and sometimes they don't work. Was it Macrae who tried that sideways kick to JJ that led to turnover goal? I can't remember. I'm just trying to bring attention to that because gifting the ball to the opposition in critical moments is, well it's soul destroying. Just ask JJ.

Anyway that's enough of me looking at Macrae glass half empty, he also has tremendous strengths

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a lot like Scott West from what I remember.

Post Thanks / Like

So you strongly disagree but then you proceed to break up the post and pretty much agree with everything I've said? Ok.
    I didn't think you had a comprehension issue.

I have disagreed with
    1. he causes turnovers by making bad decisions - Absolutely Disagree
    2. seldoms hurts the opposition. Absolutely Disagree. He is one of our prime movers

additionally I have added how he contributes within his skill set for 2 other points.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I didn't think you had a comprehension issue.

I have disagreed with
    1. he causes turnovers by making bad decisions - Absolutely Disagree
    2. seldoms hurts the opposition. Absolutely Disagree. He is one of our prime movers

additionally I have added how he contributes within his skill set for 2 other points.
    Macrae currently leads the inside 50s stat for us with 39 from the 10 games - I think that really hurts the opposition. 7th overall in the AFL out of 800 players.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae is the perfect side kick for Bont. Now if only we could get Bont to play the way he is most damaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Macrae is the perfect side kick for Bont. Now if only we could get Bont to play the way he is most damaging.
    Agree with that, I would love to see Bont outside the contest a bit more.