Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  126
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R11 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I didn't think you had a comprehension issue.

I have disagreed with
    1. he causes turnovers by making bad decisions - Absolutely Disagree
    2. seldoms hurts the opposition. Absolutely Disagree. He is one of our prime movers

additionally I have added how he contributes within his skill set for 2 other points.
    I certainly do sometimes, my Mother drank heavily during the pregnancy. And focus. I often lose focus on the topic.

Anyway, it was dealt with in an earlier post, the discussion was clouded by our definition of hurt factor and I agree. But I stand by what I said.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get what 1ED is saying - Macrae isn't going to kick 3+ goals like a Dusty/Danger/Bont and he's not going to run the lines like Hill/I Smith/Gaff. These are all players who can rip sides apart with dominating hurt factor.

But he's still very damaging and hurts sides with his ability to win the ball inside and outside the contest, bring others into the game with his hands and his vision/risk taking with his kicking.

I think Hunter is a player that lacks hurt factor much more so than Macrae, and that's despite Lachie being a very good player.

4. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Macrae currently leads the inside 50s stat for us with 39 from the 10 games - I think that really hurts the opposition. 7th overall in the AFL out of 800 players.

Our inside 50s are not hurting anyone other then ourselves. 7 out of 8 bounce back out. Often marked by opposition, giving them time to set up a damaging play.

That is why we struggle to get a handful of goals.

If someone improved Macrae’s kicking a little it might be helpful.

He is a fantastic player, always has been, but like many others at the club he is not showing the benefit of quality mentoring. (Apart from becoming a ruckman- which actually diminishes his contributions).

Oh well, at least he stayed. Oh well, at least he isn’t getting worse- we can say that about others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Our inside 50s are not hurting anyone other then ourselves. 7 out of 8 bounce back out. Often marked by opposition, giving them time to set up a damaging play.

That is why we struggle to get a handful of goals.

If someone improved Macrae’s kicking a little it might be helpful.

He is a fantastic player, always has been, but like many others at the club he is not showing the benefit of quality mentoring. (Apart from becoming a ruckman- which actually diminishes his contributions).

Oh well, at least he stayed. Oh well, at least he isn’t getting worse- we can say that about others.
    I think his kicking has improved tremendously over the years. Example that bullet pass last week to hit (i can't remember) right on the chest 40 metres out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae is a damaging player. Accumulators don't rank 27th in the AFL in metres gained, which is a really impressive feat considering his rate of centre bounce attendance (actual accumulators Tom Mitchell and Matt Crouch are 87th and 1,000,000th for comparison). Can't believe this is even an argument to be honest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Macrae is a damaging player. Accumulators don't rank 27th in the AFL in metres gained, which is a really impressive feat considering his rate of centre bounce attendance (actual accumulators Tom Mitchell and Matt Crouch are 87th and 1,000,000th for comparison). Can't believe this is even an argument to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Brisbane by 16 points
    Macrae BOG having an amazing year. Doesn't hurt the opposition but is a super contributor.
    Gowers first goal.
    ANY other team would instantly contract Jack Macrae for $800k-$1M a year. he is AA and elite. Is Gowers in the team ?

Brisbane by 30
    BOG Macrae
    First goal Vandermeer

Post Thanks / Like

How often is Macrae also the link when we clear out of defence. He is an amazing player. Without Jackson, no 2016 flag. As well as THAT goal, his efforts in the Hawthorn match as well as the GF were incredible, in fact whenever I’ve watched that game I’ve seen more and more how influential he was - it wouldn’t have been an injustice if he’d won the Norm Smith medal.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    There’s no argument. Nobody on here is picking on Macrae. Nobody is criticising him in a negative way.

WE knew he would be one of our best players for a decade when we drafted him. And he has proven us correct.

But to point out, in a minor way, that he is not perfect is a crime. Wow.

Professionals are always striving to be better. People on here want them to be the best they can, that’s why they offer constructive comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae is superb. Dependable but at a much higher level than who we would usually ascribe that adjective too. He has one particular kick, low across his body and pulled to try and cut away through traffic that I think he over uses a bit. It looks good when it gets where it needed to go but is difficult to handle and doesn't take enough ground to really open up the field. He needs to use that a bit more sparingly.

Anyway. Tonight:

We will get flogged.
    Expecting one of our low energy, disorganised nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog by 19 points
    First Goal: Bruce
    BOG: Macrae

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bulldog by 19 points
    First Goal: Bruce
    BOG: Macrae
    Hopefully a good night for you seeing the boys live.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Went up last year
    Reckon most of them hadn’t been to a game in 10 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hopefully a good night for you seeing the boys live.
    Thanks.
    I'm always a bit wary of going to Lions home games. Crowd aren't very knowledgeable, and Qlder's have a massive parochial chip on their shoulders. Hopefully they're more tolerant these days and my kids aren't witness to anything ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...watch-round-11

Four things to watch: Round 11
    The four hot topics and talking points ahead of Saturday night's clash against Brisbane at the Gabba.

1. Dogs add forward firepower

The Bulldogs will welcome back two proven goal-kickers in Aaron Naughton and Bailey Dale this week.

Both were pivotal players in 2019, but have had their injury struggles in recent times.

Naughton hasn’t played since round four, while Dale has missed the past three weeks.

But their nous around goal will be welcomed by a Bulldogs’ outfit which fought valiantly, however could only manage five goals last week against Port Adelaide.

Don’t expect miracles from the returning duo straight away. However, two more dangerous targets will undoubtedly help – and potentially free up others around goal.

2. The Neale Factor

Brisbane star Lachie Neale is among the Brownlow Medal front-runners at this point of the season.

He’s having another exceptional season.

Despite the shortened quarters, Neale is averaging 28.5 disposals and 5.5 clearances per game. Both of those numbers put him among the competition’s elite.

He’s also averaging a goal per game.

The Bulldogs have a star-studded midfield group of their own, but no doubt they will have one eye on reducing Neale’s impact as best they can.

3. Point to prove

Every game is important in this shortened season.

But you get the feeling these two teams will both have a point to prove on Saturday night.

The Bulldogs find themselves outside the top eight with a 5-5 record after 10 rounds – and desperate for a win after losses to top-four teams Richmond and Port Adelaide.

The Lions sit inside the top four – with a 7-3 record – but were humbled by the Tigers also last week.

Both of these teams are chock-full with young talent and will be looking forward to the opportunity on a big Saturday night stage.

4. English exam

Tim English has taken some big strides already in 2020.

Saturday night against the Lions looms as another opportunity for him to further establish his reputation as a star on the rise.

The Lions have a relatively inexperienced ruck combination this week – with Oscar McInerney joined by Matt Eagles in their side this week.

English is still just 22 years old, but the emerging big man has proven a match-winner on multiple occasions this year.

He’s averaging more than 15 disposals per game, and the Bulldogs will be hoping he can continue to make his presence felt around the ground.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"