Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  126
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R11 2020

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We're not rebuilding by stealth. You're just not allowed to say you're rebuilding so close to winning a flag irrespective of how many players you've turned over and how difficult you've found it to replace those players in the most part with seasoned performers of their quality. It's why you hear Bevo say we're young but we don't want that to be a hindrance to progress and we want to learn quickly.

We've had some success in adding experience to the list with Crozier, and hopefully we'll have more with Keath and Bruce once the latter gets some support. With respect to player development this year it is difficult to gauge how players should be tracking as there's no competitive footy at the lower level each week, but of the players you mention only Lynch concerns me in lieu of his good finish to 2018 and falling off a cliff last year.
    If we were rebuilding I wonder how that would be accepted by some of the better players in the group
    Would the likes of Bont, Macrae, Dunkley who had been a part of a flag want to wait around for 3 years or so until a rebuild might be completed?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we were rebuilding I wonder how that would be accepted by some of the better players in the group
    Would the likes of Bont, Macrae, Dunkley who had been a part of a flag want to wait around for 3 years or so until a rebuild might be completed?
    Same could also be said of Alex Keith and Josh Bruce.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Same could also be said of Alex Keith and Josh Bruce.
    They haven't been part of a Bulldogs flag though. Their motivations for arriving at the Kennel might have been a bit different
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think those players are probably aware that the rebuild has been going on for a few years including this one. What will annoy them is if it doesn't bear fruit in the next couple of years.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think those players are probably aware that the rebuild has been going on for a few years including this one. What will annoy them is if it doesn't bear fruit in the next couple of years.
    I'm sure it was pitched to both players that with them our team would better and we'd be looking to go deep into the finals again. A lot pegged us to go that way. If Keath had his time again he probably would have chosen St. Kilda. We probably would have still got Bruce even if we were projected to go like we have. Saints didn't want him.

I don't buy the rebuild route theory. I think we're driving this car without a steering wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm sure it was pitched to both players that with them our team would better and we'd be looking to go deep into the finals again. A lot pegged us to go that way. If Keath had his time again he probably would have chosen St. Kilda. We probably would have still got Bruce even if we were projected to go like we have. Saints didn't want him.

I don't buy the rebuild route theory. I think we're driving this car without a steering wheel.
    Tend to agree.

Bruce didn't entertain many other offers either and explicitly stated he wanted to play finals, so I doubt in our meetings with Keath/Bruce we spoke much about being an under developed side.

Post Thanks / Like

Well all they and their player managers would need to do is look at our profile and how we performed over the course of the last few years to know that we're under developed and trading on potential.

Potential is speculative. 2005/06 and 2007 taught us that, no?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.