Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What ever happened to Matthew Dent?

After 1996 Fitzroy merged with the then Brisbane Bears forming the Brisbane Lions and giving them first pick of FFC players.

One player not selected was Matty Dent, who then came to us and gave good service - he had a superb season in his first with us in 97 and was excellent again with 98 as a tough but attacking rebounding small defender - strong in the air, good foot speed and a pretty good long kick.

I hardly remember him after this period

What are others memories of him?

Why did his career end with us?

Was his nickname really Psycho Chicken?

Any idea what he's up to now?

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What ever happened to Matthew Dent?

Played a few games for Hawthorn in 2001 after they picked him up in the pre-season draft.

Returned to Sturt and played in their 2002 premiership.

Looks like he has taken to coaching back home in Adelaide from this 2015 article:

Colonel Light Gardens keeping quiet ahead of division five amateur football grand final

COLONEL Light Gardens is trying to keep a lid on things ahead of the club’s division five grand final against Para Hills this Saturday.

The Lions’ coach Matthew Dent and president Matthew Lemmers have declined to speak to the Mitcham & Hills Messenger, while Dent has refused to let players be interviewed.

The media ban places huge expectations on the amateur league club, which is on the brink of its first A-grade flag since 2007.

Colonel Light Gardens will enter the premiership decider as favourite after winning the second semi-final against Blackfriars Old Scholars on August 29.

The Lions stormed back from being three points down at three-quarter time before prevailing 13.11 (89) to 9.21 (75).

The result ensured they earnt promotion to division four for next season.

Colonel Light Gardens should be fresher than its grand final opponent after having a week off.

Para Hills beat Blackfriars 15.13 (103) to 12.12 (84) in the preliminary final on Saturday.

Dent played 118 games for Western Bulldogs, Fitzroy and Hawthorn from 1994-2001.

He led Happy Valley to a Southern Football League premiership in 2012.

The 2002 Sturt premiership player is in his first season as coach at Colonel Light Gardens.

The Lions ended the minor round second on the ladder with a 13-5 record.

Arren Harvey is the club’s leading goalkicker with 67 majors.
    And this from 2018:

The Border Downs Tintinara football club are looking to recover from a disappointing 2017 with the appointment of former AFL player, Matthew Dent, as head coach for the 2018 season.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Career Season Averages
    Year Team GM K H D M G B T HO FF FA GA I50 CL CG R50 BL
    2001 Hawks 8 7.5 4.6 12.1 5.1 0 0.1 1.1 0.1 0.6 0.6
    2000 Bulldogs 6 9.7 4.7 14.3 3.3 0.2 0.2 0.8 0.3 0.5 1.2
    1999 Bulldogs 16 7.0 2.8 9.8 2.1 0.1 0.1 0.8 0.2 0.9 0.9
    1998 Bulldogs 21 10.0 5.9 15.9 3.1 0.1 0.1 1.3 0 0.8 1.1
    1997 Bulldogs 20 9.4 6.3 15.8 3.8 0.2 0.1 1.4 0 0 0
    1996 Lions 19 11.5 8.2 19.7 4.3 0.3 0.2 1.9 0.1 0 0
    1995 Lions 20 10.7 4.5 15.1 4.0 0.1 0.3 1.9 0 0 0
    1994 Lions 8 5.5 5.0 10.5 1.9 0 0 1.1 0 0 0
    Career 118 9.4 5.4 14.8 3.5 0.2 0.1 1.4 0.1 0.3 0.4 0 0 0 0 0

Matthew was a tough reliable player and gave us good service.

I had forgotten in 2001 he was traded to the Hawks playing 8 games only.

In 2002 he went back to SA and played in Sturt's premiership, the team he had started with before being drafted by Fitzroy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He was one of the instigators in the fight against West Coast. Took Worsfeld on and Woosha gibbed it big time.

I too had forgotten he had gone to Hawthorn. Just reading through a few articles on him he won the best clubman in his one and only season with the Hawks.

I will ask around and see if I can find out what happened to bring his time with us to such a sudden end and why he only played a few games in 2000.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He was one of the instigators in the fight against West Coast. Took Worsfeld on and Woosha gibbed it big time.

I too had forgotten he had gone to Hawthorn. Just reading through a few articles on him he won the best clubman in his one and only season with the Hawks.

I will ask around and see if I can find out what happened to bring his time with us to such a sudden end and why he only played a few games in 2000.
    A key member of my all time favourite team - 1997. I still maintain it was our most FUN season ever - zero expectation, awesome outcomes. Disappointing PF day but hell, back then I had a "This team is awesome, we'll get 'em next year" philosophy going on...ummmm....no.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember him as a tough as nails type, he really should have worn number 8 instead of 21 as he was just that "type".

It's always been a hard number at the dogs. I loved Kennedy as a kid and had a soft spot for Bernard Toohey in his couple of years for us, then of course there was that steam tractor Mitch Hahn and Trengove can certainly handle himself too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I remember him as a tough as nails type, he really should have worn number 8 instead of 21 as he was just that "type".

It's always been a hard number at the dogs. I loved Kennedy as a kid and had a soft spot for Bernard Toohey in his couple of years for us, then of course there was that steam tractor Mitch Hahn and Trengove can certainly handle himself too.
    Not sure Dent was more deserving of the 8 than the bloke who wore it at the time, one Daniel Southern.

Patrick Veszpremi must have almost ended your love affair with 8?

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Dent was terrific for us in that Early Wallace era 97-99. I think our style of tough uncompromising footy with plenty of run and flair suited his style.

He fit right in with fellow antagonists Danny Southern and Kritter in the backline and wasn't afraid to unsettle the dust. From memory he clocked Jason Ball in the prematch brawl v West Coast in the last game at Whitten Oval. I loved how we dished it out to them in the 90's!! If he was in our team today he would probably get Toby Greene.

But he could really play. I was sad to see him go. Would have been worthy of 100 games for us.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

15. Likes azabob, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure Dent was more deserving of the 8 than the bloke who wore it at the time, one Daniel Southern.

Paused, not ended.

Southern was another favourite. Jeez we've done well with West Aussies over the years, my first football memories were watching guys like Beasley and Hardie run around and right now Naughton and English are our two most promising talls.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Daniel Southern was absolutely the epitome of Number 8 and Mitch Hahn as the follow was also outstanding.

Patrick Veszpremi, just proves there is an exception to every rule. Not wishing to be unkind to Patrick, but he was the marshmallow under the tortoise shell.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Matthew Dent was terrific for us in that Early Wallace era 97-99. I think our style of tough uncompromising footy with plenty of run and flair suited his style.

He fit right in with fellow antagonists Danny Southern and Kritter in the backline and wasn't afraid to unsettle the dust. From memory he clocked Jason Ball in the prematch brawl v West Coast in the last game at Whitten Oval. I loved how we dished it out to them in the 90's!! If he was in our team today he would probably get Toby Greene.

But he could really play. I was sad to see him go. Would have been worthy of 100 games for us.
    The 97/98 backline was the best, took no **** from anyone.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

20. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Daniel Southern was absolutely the epitome of Number 8 and Mitch Hahn as the follow was also outstanding.

Patrick Veszpremi, just proves there is an exception to every rule. Not wishing to be unkind to Patrick, but he was the marshmallow under the tortoise shell.
    Rick Kennedy, the toughest player I have ever seen and my favourite number 8
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got great value from Dent “physco chicken “ as he was known
    Loved that side and he fitted right in
    Played with a chip on his shoulder like our club did in that era

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Rick Kennedy, the toughest player I have ever seen and my favourite number 8
    Played with that awful lump at the top of his thigh like a muscle out of place. Remember the day a young plugger was punching him repeatedly as he lay in foetal position protecting himself. Was extremely tough.

Dent will always be remembered for that last game at WO and Michael Gardner, I remember him more as a Lion for some reason but was a durable and dependable defender for us.
    Reminded me a bit of Bernard Toohey, unassuming but granite tough, a loyal team man and more skilled than he appeared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The 97/98 backline was the best, took no **** from anyone.
    Southern, Kretiuk, Croft for starters.