Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs Port Adelaide 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Does Vanders have any worries re the head high bump on Balta in the last ? It looked like a dogs one weeker.
    Yes he does. It's real borderline on a fine or 1 week. The MRO have a very dim view on that sort of contact to the head - the only thing that might save him is low enough impact and a favourable medical report on Balta.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight showed against a top 4 Club in Richmond how far off the pace we really are at the moment. Until we get the likes of Dunkley Naughton Duryrea Schache and play Lew Young we will continue to struggle. Playing the likes of Gowers Suckling and Trengrove on tonight’s performance was a mistake whilst Johannissen continues to play poorly. Bruce has played one good game in nine and his form is a big problem.

3. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it surprising that for a side that struggles so hard to link up going forward, especially when missing our hardest running linkman in Hunter, that we have completely ignored both Hayes and Smith who while neither being great, appeared to both be in the senior frame early this year and both are surely our next two options for that role.

Aside from Essendon we are surely the club with the most forwards incapable of doing anything outside the 50m mark, Lloyd, Bruce, Gowers and Wallis all offer actually nothing upfield and McLean should but doesn't. On top of that aside from McLean none offer any real defensive pressure or pace (I mean Lloyd and Wallis try but they're not catching anybody that can get out of a light jog).

I would make the following changes.

If English is not being rested, then he plays as the sole ruckman. If he needs a rest, give him one, and play Sweet or Trengove as the sole ruck.

I want two key forwards that at least compete, Bruce is pretty shit at it but he has to stay, Gowers is not a key forward and while he does try he isn't good at it. Drop him. Top bloke and top trainer I'm sure but the novelty has well and truly worn off for him as an AFL player. If they want to play Trengove on Dixon then Cordy swings forward for this role, otherwise I'd play Lewis Young instead of Trengove at whichever end the coaching staff like him at this week. I personally prefer him in defence but seeing as he is a less good Naughton (contested marking light on his feet mobile tall that can find the ball but is a bit of a mixed bag) I'm happy for him to play in whatever role we assigned Naughton in our forward plans.

McLean continues to give us nothing, I'm kind of in the camp now that we clearly have no idea how to make him work so don't bother, he has no trade value anyway so don't play him and send him to another club at the end of the year for his own sake. He was really good once, but since 2017 has played maybe 2 games I would classify as "better than ok", so lets just move on. He is the one I take out for the Hayes/Smith swap, don't care which.

I haven't replaced Gowers yet so in his place I'd put someone who ideally has some forward instincts, some pace and can push a little higher on occasion. Basically another Laitham Vandermeer. I'm not sure we really have anyone on the list that is all that and isn't a complete gamble in terms of output (ie. Weightman), except for Dickson I guess but I'm not sure he is still on our list so assuming he was delisted and they just forgot to tell any of us then probably West gets the spot, or maybe Greene (I think he might actually be more of the Dale/Lloyd/Wallis type to get 6 touches and do nothing upfield but i do want to see him play). I'm fine with Weightman getting the spot but I really want contributors in the side to try to bring up the serviceability of our bottom 5 and Weightmans two games have basically been a complete load of nothing with two nice goals thrown in. Cavarra I guess could also fit the bill here fwiw but again he hasn't been sighted since celebrating with the boys after kicking his first goal in our round 1 thrashing.

Btw Lipinski and Richards were terrible but they will both be good players and are important in trying to give our side a clean ball user and pace respectively (even though both failed miserably tonight) so both get more chances (plus i really like them both and there is nothing to replace them with).

Oh I forgot Suckling, I guess any of the above comes in for him, maybe adding Young and Butler to the list, at least they are decent users and can find the ball, although I think they should be in defensive spots I don't have any of to hand out. I don't really rate any of the other smalls we have available (which is basically just Porter and Lynch).

As always these changes don't make any real difference, what matters is that we actually turn up and show some grit when things aren't going our way. The defence has been decent for the most part so they are largely untouched Trengove possible switch excepted, ruck is rotational, I'm more trying to give our forwardline an ability to not be so one paced. At the moment it's like a baby bird waiting to get the footy vomited into its mouth, I'd like to atleast put a player or two in there that could help it fly (apologies for the atrocious analogy).

So:
    Drop Trengove (who may be immediately recalled two lines down), Gowers (controversial), McLean (unuseable) and Suckling (uncharacteristically quiet)
    English stays in, but if he isn't going to be our only ruck then either Trengove comes straight back in or Sweet comes in.
    If they want Trengove on Dixon then he comes straight back in and Cordy goes forward, if they want Keath or *cringe* Cordy on Dixon then Young comes in to play forward (or back if they want to put Cordy forward)
    McLean goes out for Hayes or Smith. If Hunter is available then obviously he comes in here.
    Gowers goes out for Dickson/West or failing them any of Greene/Weightman/Cavarra.
    Suckling for whatever balances us best out of the leftovers from the above two lines plus Butler and Young, but in true Beveridge style i am expecting Khamis.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes Scraggers, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we still believe we have a tilt, then put our best 22 on the park. That means Gowers is gone (passport stamped) Suckers out (injured) and Bruce needs a rest (unless the Match Committee is wiling you play both Bruce and Schache for multiple games in a row to get them used to playing with each other). Trengove gets one more week. Bring in West for Gowers, Le Young for Suckers.

If however (based on our four BIG losses) we are building to 2021, the bring in Sweet (bye bye Trengove), Kharmis (Please don’t come back Gowers) and West for Suckers (injured)
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Personally I think Gowers and Lloyd's cards need to be stamped and their termination notices provided. Neither are going to be a part of any premiership tilt. Lloyds role has been replaced by Wallis - he is a better forward and can go i and get his own ball if necessary. Gowers is simply a liability who no only doesn't do the team things, but also doesn't get the ball enough.

To me - West for Lloyd and Lew Young/Schache for Gowers. Bruce needs support. He needs someone who will take one of the tall defenders and Schache to me needs to be allowed to fail and not be immediately dropped.
    Well said. Lloyd looks too slow for mine. Gowers too clumsy. Does my head in Gowers has multiple games and displays less than nothing and Schache is dropped after one game. Surely this has an negative impact on the players.

Post Thanks / Like

Vandermeer would be a bit stiff if he gets a week although he is a Dog so maybe it will be two weeks.
    To me Balta made it look worse than it was in that he paused and then moved forwarded into Vandermeer who was stationary at the time of impact with his hands up.
    Also there was a sling tackle in there but I can't remember who was involved, not by one of ours but one of theirs.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

We get stuck into Dale about defensive pressure and rightly so at times but Lloyd is similar. He'll probably be safe because of Suckling's injury though.

Gowers out and thanks for your services. Quick one for SC'ers he finished off with a -2 score in a full game.

I'm not sure where to go after a loss like this. Schace back? Weightman? Anyone else from injury ready?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Well said. Lloyd looks too slow for mine. Gowers too clumsy. Does my head in Gowers has multiple games and displays less than nothing and Schache is dropped after one game. Surely this has an negative impact on the players.
    Well said. Lloyd escapes a lot of criticism but only seems to get involved when the side is going well. He offers nothing when he has to work for it. The other one I would throw in is Trengove. There is a reason why he wasn't getting a game at Port and to offer him 3 years @ $500k+ is just wrong. Maybe throw that kind of money at Balta.

Post Thanks / Like

Our depth is just not there at present.

In: West, Schache, Le Young
    Out: Suckling, Gowers, Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yes he does. It's real borderline on a fine or 1 week. The MRO have a very dim view on that sort of contact to the head - the only thing that might save him is low enough impact and a favourable medical report on Balta.
    A free kick, that is all it should be. No damage down to anybody
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A free kick, that is all it should be. No damage down to anybody
    Never left the ground, tucked the arm in, no damage done.

Free kick, perhaps a reprimand.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Vandermeer would be a bit stiff if he gets a week although he is a Dog so maybe it will be two weeks.
    To me Balta made it look worse than it was in that he paused and then moved forwarded into Vandermeer who was stationary at the time of impact with his hands up.
    Also there was a sling tackle in there but I can't remember who was involved, not by one of ours but one of theirs.

Riewoldt sling tackled one of our players. Not even a free.

Post Thanks / Like

Really looking forward to this game.

Last night I saw a handball chain involving 7 players in 25 m of ground that led to a turnover and a Richmond runaway.

Pretty confident that we can make it 8 (unless someone remembers what their feet are for).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    [/B]

Riewoldt sling tackled one of our players. Not even a free.
    JJ. Lifted him off the ground
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes Bulldog4life, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're shuffling deck chairs at this point.

I'm inclined to give a few players 3-4 games to see if they're worth keeping (Greene top of the list but even somebody like Khamis).