Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  26
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 10 Vs Port Adelaide 2020

Does anyone know what was the point of playing Trengove last week?

Post Thanks / Like

Port lose Ebert to injury, which is a win to us. Although the ‘in’ is Boyd Woodcock, who is a player I hoped we’d take in the ‘18 draft. Was super impressed with him in the final series he played for North that year.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
    HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
    C: Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
    HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Laitham Vandermeer
    F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
    Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
    Int: Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Roarke Smith
    Emer: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Jordon Sweet

IN: Josh Dunkley, Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith
    OUT: Matt Suckling (hamstring), Jackson Trengove, Billy Gowers
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    No. He seemed to have no defined match-up or role last week, and seemed to have zero agility or pace. I would have been happy to see him play 80% ruck just to see how he held up, but that wasn't the case.

It all seems a bit bizarre.

Post Thanks / Like

At last we have the 3 blondes in the lineup; Bailey Smith, Cody Weightman and Roarke Smith. Should be eye catching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    At last we have the 3 blondes in the lineup; Bailey Smith, Cody Weightman and Roarke Smith. Should be eye catching.
    Tim English?

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His hair is in a category of its own

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    No. He seemed to have no defined match-up or role last week, and seemed to have zero agility or pace. I would have been happy to see him play 80% ruck just to see how he held up, but that wasn't the case.

It all seems a bit bizarre.
    He was a late inclusion because Richmond also had a late in with a ruckman
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s certainly a better 22 than last week, but still a bit baffling. I’m dreading same structure, same game plan, same result.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fear Roarke as much as I used to. He's grown on me a bit. I thought he was serviceable last year when he played. I'm a bit surprised this is his first game this year actually. What he brings to the team is effort. He's not gifted with Bont like skills(not many are) but he'll bring 100% effort and goes in pretty hard.

Dunks is a welcome face back in the team. He's been missed with his tackling pressure around the packs. We wouldn't have won even with Dunks last week but Richmond wouldn't have got as much easy ball going their way with Dunkley around. Libba, Bont and Smith will be very happy he's back aswell so he can do some heavy lifting.

Weightman is an exciting prospect and I hope he brings that excitement with him again.

Its going to be a tough ask against Port but if we bring our best we can beat them for sure. We just need to hurt Dixon.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
    HB: Bailey Williams, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
    C: Jason Johannisen, Jack Macrae, Pat Lipinski
    HF: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Laitham Vandermeer
    F: Mitch Wallis, Josh Bruce, Cody Weightman
    Foll: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley
    Int: Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Sam Lloyd, Roarke Smith
    Emer: Ben Cavarra, Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene, Jordon Sweet

IN: Josh Dunkley, Cody Weightman, Roarke Smith
    OUT: Matt Suckling (hamstring), Jackson Trengove, Billy Gowers
    On paper the defensive back six look strong, however as always Wood and Crozier will need to provide aerial support to limit the impact of Dixon. Our one on one ability against the likes of Dixon, Kennedy, Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch etc is still a major concern.

The midfield brigade looks OK, maybe a little slow. With our speed coming from a non-traditional wingman in Johannisen. Pace support will come from Bailey Smith. Dunkely returning to the side is huge, but I'm not expecting a typical Dunkley game.

The forward line is definitely our weakness (shock horror). It is made up of a mismatch of players. Bontempelli top 5 midfielders in the game playing as CHF, McLean who by no one's standards is travelling well, Vandermeer is playing the high forward role and using his running ability to get on the end of transition plays - hopefully the wingman of the future we are calling out for.

Wallis has been brilliant this season, his way to change and adapt to what the team needs has been nothing short of extraordinary. Maybe top 5 in our B&F currently - however we cannot overlook his shortcomings in the role he is playing, namely his speed. Weightman hopefully can complement Wallis, but from my limited viewing of Weightman he is more of a lead and mark forward than a traditional quick defensive forward.

Opinions on this board seem divided on Bruce, my expectations were for Bruce to compete and average 1.5- 2 goals per game. I do wonder is it the club or him? I tend to think its a bit of both. He needs to be the number 2 forward and he is obviously missing Naughton.

The interchange is not flush with stars (other than Bailey Smith) so hopefully they understand and play their role accordingly.

Our midfield and forwards desperately need to find the connection between the two parts of the ground and apply defensive pressure when it is their turn.

Hopefully our boys are on tonight and can do the basics such as hold our structure, apply defensive pressure and support your teammate when required.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On paper the defensive back six look strong, however as always Wood and Crozier will need to provide aerial support to limit the impact of Dixon. Our one on one ability against the likes of Dixon, Kennedy, Hawkins, Cameron, Lynch etc is still a major concern.

Opinions on this board seem divided on Bruce, my expectations were for Bruce to compete and average 1.5- 2 goals per game. I do wonder is it the club or him? I tend to think its a bit of both. He needs to be the number 2 forward and he is obviously missing Naughton.
    The old saying ‘horses for courses ‘ comes to mind when I read the first point here. The back six are good, but short. Dixon is 200cm and 105kg. None of our six are one on one possibilities. Does Port exploit that weakness. If so, Do we counter their advantage by having 4 of the backmen jump against him. That didn’t work out well last week because it leaves opposition crumbers to hurt us.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

on the second point, Bruce kicked goals when Naughton was absent . He worked well with Schache who played well as an effective decoy and got some goals himself. I think the team needs Naughton, Bruce needs someone who makes the opposing players think twice about loading up on him. It wouldn’t hurt to tell our guys to stop kicking it over his head. (Maybe paint a target on his jumper)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure on that.

Keath - looks to struggle on the gorillas. Has had a very good year otherwise.
    Cordy - is under-sized as a key defender and is often caught out of position on fast breaks resulting in easy shots on goal to his opponent.
    Crozier - great interceptor, but is he a good distributor by foot?
    Wood - played one decent game all year, and that might be extended to a couple of years. His ability to distribute the ball effectively is highly questionable.
    Williams - having a good year, but as we saw last week can't play as the 3rd tall.
    JJ - struggles to have an influence every week. Extremely important that he does and he is one of the few players in our team that breaks the game open with angles & pace.
    Daniel - has been very good.

The midfield brigade looks OK, maybe a little slow. With our speed coming from a non-traditional wingman in Johannisen. Pace support will come from Bailey Smith. Dunkely returning to the side is huge, but I'm not expecting a typical Dunkley game.
    Very slow and what's our POD through the middle?

The forward line is definitely our weakness (shock horror). It is made up of a mismatch of players. Bontempelli top 5 midfielders in the game playing as CHF, McLean who by no one's standards is travelling well, Vandermeer is playing the high forward role and using his running ability to get on the end of transition plays - hopefully the wingman of the future we are calling out for.

Wallis has been brilliant this season, his way to change and adapt to what the team needs has been nothing short of extraordinary. Maybe top 5 in our B&F currently - however we cannot overlook his shortcomings in the role he is playing, namely his speed. Weightman hopefully can complement Wallis, but from my limited viewing of Weightman he is more of a lead and mark forward than a traditional quick defensive forward.

Can't agree that Wallis has been brilliant... he's been serviceable with his steady finishing a bonus in a team that struggles in that area, but he's such a limited player these days. Maybe he would be better with other players around him, but his lack of pace/ mobility sticks out in an otherwise slow forward line, but his output has been more than others which explains how bad they've been.

Bruce hasn't been helped by the lack of support in the aerial stakes. A healthy Naughton would make his job much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Weightman gets a chance ahead of Cavarra.
    I love Flea's energy but I'm just not sold on him being ready for AFL football yet.

McLean, Richards and Lloyd need to do something proactive, anything.
    HF is a dead zone for making the play, but someone needs to spark the F50 into action. Vandermeer is a blueprint, he's raw but by god he has a go.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting that Weightman gets a chance ahead of Cavarra.
    I love Flea's energy but I'm just not sold on him being ready for AFL football yet.

McLean, Richards and Lloyd need to do something proactive, anything.
    HF is a dead zone for making the play, but someone needs to spark the F50 into action. Vandermeer is a blueprint, he's raw but by god he has a go.
    Agree with this.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cav in replace of Lloyd. Having both Weightman and Cav might give us some needed energy when the ball hits the ground.