Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  71
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 11 Vs Brisbane 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Our forward line is a shambles but so are the entries. The cohesion between our mids and forward is a disaster.
    Touching on this, we haven't actually played our BEST midfield all season, and what I consider the best are: Bont, Dunks, Libba, Macrae, Smith, Hunter - We have yet to play a game with all 6 playing their proper positions, when we can (Hopefully this weekend) I think our mids will fix up their problems and hopefully start delivering into F50 a bit better.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Roarke Smith.

Played pre-season as an outside mid and looked to have found a spot. I was surprised he was overlooked in R1.

Sent to purgatory for 7 months.

Returns on a zero playing base knowing it is a career on the line type scenario and doesn't exactly light it up against the top of the ladder Power.

I vote we give him another chance. I know - he has had chances over the journey (and injuries) but can we give him a shot in the wing role he seemed to be playing OK in for a couple of games just to see if he can do it?
    He has been such an unlucky player and I'd like to see him given another week. I think in the current circumstances it is pretty tough to come into an AFL standard game when there's only been scratch matches, and fit in immediately. I'm not sure what his role/position was, it is so tricky on TV, he just didn't get it enough if he was on the wing and getting involved more is definitely his challenge.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke Smith.

Played pre-season as an outside mid and looked to have found a spot. I was surprised he was overlooked in R1.

Returns on a zero playing base knowing it is a career on the line type scenario and doesn't exactly light it up against the top of the ladder Power.

I vote we give him another chance. I know - he has had chances over the journey (and injuries) but can we give him a shot in the wing role he seemed to be playing OK in for a couple of games just to see if he can do it?
    A tend to agree, I have no issue with Roarke getting another game. I don't recall any howlers, he just struggled to get involved. We have seen worse performances this season and he may well have largely done what was asked of him by the coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke Smith.

Agree with this.

I'm not a fan of Roarke, but there's absolutely no sense to bouncing players out of the side after 1 week given the current inability to play proper matches at the lower level. Anyone coming into the side really needs to be afforded 2-3 weeks and at this point, I would like to see us do this to make definitive calls at the end of the year to the list. Guys like Porter, Greene, Roarke, Hayes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Roarke actually started well. Got involved early with some clever bits of play. But after the 1st quarter he did go missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    If a big strong tall centre half back marks a kick-in on the 50 m arc and kicks it to a big strong tall centre half forward who hits Bruce on the chest with a 40 metre pass, leading to a goal, I don’t care if any of them stretch out on the grass for a 5 minute nap. They have covered the ground better than what we are doing now.
    I'm not sure this scenario has happened in AFL football for 30 years.

7. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I was going to say the same thing - you would need to get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour to see this play out live.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, that is not our issue. We move the ball faster than any team from one end to the other. We just don't take all out chances in the FWD50.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I thought Roarke actually started well. Got involved early with some clever bits of play. But after the 1st quarter he did go missing.
    Agree

Post Thanks / Like

Williams kicks to Naughton/Sweet, English/Naughton ,Bruce/English goal . Won’t happen, concept would not activate a brain cell that could test it.

But I think it would work better than a chain of 7 handballs that leads to a turnover (which I have seen this year). Also would remove the need to have 4 Bulldogs competing in the same pack (which I have seen this year).

Unfortunately I can’t claim credit for the idea, but I would like to see it tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was going to say the same thing - you would need to get the DeLorean up to 88 miles per hour to see this play out live.
    Funny and not footy related but I saw a real live Delorean on the weekend. Some guy was driving it in London. We think it had something wrong with it as it was making a god awful noise and he was driving with one of the wing doors open

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also, that is not our issue. We move the ball faster than any team from one end to the other. We just don't take all out chances in the FWD50.
    What do the numbers
    represent?

It is the Bulldogs goal scoring this year. Median (expected) result is 7.

In The game with 13 Bruce, Schache and Wallis got 10. Speed wasn’t relevant. Strength and positioning were.

We move the ball fast and nobody knows where it’s going to finish up. That’s why 7 out of 8 entries don’t get a goal.

A game based on defined targets might slow them down, straighten them up, and leave them breathing well enough to kick straight.

And in the winning streak last year we tended to play with 4 genuine talls which was a change from the earlier losing streak which made the wooden spoon a possibility.

14. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Danjul-insightful post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Funny and not footy related but I saw a real live Delorean on the weekend. Some guy was driving it in London. We think it had something wrong with it as it was making a god awful noise and he was driving with one of the wing doors open
    Haha, probably not surprising for a near 40 year old car that was plagued with quality issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    That's what they do. It took Hollywood's vivid imagination to get one to run for all of a two hour movie.

However, on the football front, Schache must come back, to lead where Bruce is not, to separate the Lion's defenders. We must get back to the manic pressure of 2016, disrupting their disposals, or their forward line will have a picnic.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.