Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  71
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 11 Vs Brisbane 2020

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Question for WOOF: What is a pass mark for Gardner where you’d be happy for him to play the following week?
    1: Don't fumble
    2: Don't fumble
    3: Don't fumble
    4: Kick true
    5: Kick true
    6: Kick true
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    1: Don't fumble
    2: Don't fumble
    3: Don't fumble
    4: Kick true
    5: Kick true
    6: Kick true
    So no fumbles and no turn overs by foot would be a pass?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Feel for Rourke surely you need a couple of games to get your feet.
    What was the point of playing Roarke for 1 week against Port and Trengove for 1 week (in ruck and not as a key defender on Lynch) against Richmond? Head-scratching.

Brisbane don't have dominant key forwards in great form, so it's puzzling that we replaced a medium running defender with a tall defender who doesn't offer much attacking drive. Maybe Zaine plays up forward in a 3-pronged attack to stretch their defence?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Gardner was solid against Collingwood in contests, he generally got a spoil in or had some kind of impact. Basically most contests he was involved in with that game he did the bare minimum for me to say he did his job. However he undid any positivity that game with his switch stuff up (can't remember if there were more stuff ups but i remember not enjoyign him playing so he must have been bad in other areas too).

The issue is that the risk reward ratio is too out of whack from what we have seen. We are yet to see him have a single moment that you could point to as him demonstrating an AFL attribute. He seems at best fine in a number of areas, but at worst woeful. Young is a good example of another guy with some similiar attribute who has also had his fair share of howlers, but you are happier to wear them with him because you can see his AFL attributes.

So for me to be happy with Gardner playing next week he would need to have a game where he shows any AFL attributes worht persisting with, and his playing is not to the detriment to the side (so no major unforced skill errors). If he can show that he can play a game without being a liability, and show that there is more to him than a skinny tall guy who tries, then I can live with another week.

Unfortunately for him he has already had some very unsubtle bad games, so everyone has already written him off and instead of getting the benefit of the doubt when he eventually stuffs up he will instead just find that any errors confirm peoples perception of him as not good (see exhibit Gowers).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I’m expecting nothing more than a 5 possession game from Gardner, although I’m hoping for 6 plus a contested mark in defensive 50.
    I’m pretty much over understanding the MC.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't get injured so you can help with rotations for the duration of the match.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    What was the point of playing Roarke for 1 week against Port and Trengove for 1 week (in ruck and not as a key defender on Lynch) against Richmond? Head-scratching.

Brisbane don't have dominant key forwards in great form, so it's puzzling that we replaced a medium running defender with a tall defender who doesn't offer much attacking drive. Maybe Zaine plays up forward in a 3-pronged attack to stretch their defence?
    Agree with this. Your reward for training well? A week to prove yourself or you're out. Trengove hadn't played at AFL level since August 2019 and he get's one game in which we were very poor collectively to stake a claim. Irony is the guy who initially usurped him only needed one.
    Roarke the same. I dont mind trying him for a while. He has some decent attributes. Let's see if they go somewhere if he gets a run at it.

Post Thanks / Like

It is painful to say it but I’m really at a loss with this selection, more than I can ever recall being. I don’t really want to outline all the reasons why. I just hope like hell Gardner repays the faith and that we are all collectively VERY wrong.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke isn't an AFL quality footballer, so I'm not overly concerned that he was dropped but it does further highlight how confusing the selection criteria seems to be. Some blokes get extra chances, some don't. You'd want to be in the 'get chances' crew, that's for sure. I thought Roarke was, but who knows.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I sure help Gardner plays well. Because it’ll be extremely worrying if this forum is right more often than the MC.

A pass for me is just for him to nullify most contests and not turn it over. His selection must mean he’s put in countless hours with Mason Cox learning how to kick an Aussie rules football.

Post Thanks / Like

On another note I’m looking forward to seeing our forward line with Naughts and Dale back. Bruce, Dale, Naughton, Lloyd and Wallis is about as good as we will get. Of course two of them are underdone and one horribly out of form but hopefully we’ll see some signs of what we haven’t seen since the 1st quarter of round 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke’s first game was in 2015. He’s more than had his fair shake and there should be no consternation about his use as a plug and play guy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I see Lewis Young is in the emergencies
    Bevo said he was on the brink of selection and was slightly injured
    I’m not sure what’s going on . I hope Gardner goes well and not going to pile on

Post Thanks / Like

If Young has been injured why hasn’t this been mentioned in the injury updates? Instead we’re all left guessing as to why he’s never in the frame for selection. It’s slightly frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

Fergus Green was on the emergency list against Port and is relegated from it against Brisbane
    Jordon Sweet's outstanding run on the emergency list comes to an end

I will be interested to see how we use Gardner.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"