Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  71
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 11 Vs Brisbane 2020

I'm not sold on Gardner's future, but he isn't the first player who presented poorly in his first few showings, and subsequently come good.
    I'm more interested in how more highly touted guys like Mclean, Richards, Lipinski, JJ, Dale and Bruce perform. Their performance will have a bigger say in whether we win or lose tomorrow than Gardner will.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Picking Gardner isnt going to be the difference between us winning and losing. Hope he has a good game but im not that fussed by his inclusion
    I guess a few of us (me included) wonder why that spot isn’t given to someone like either of the Youngs- particularly Lewis - who have more upside. Gardner looks like an average footballer at best. Lewis has way more upside... but he’s on ice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I guess a few of us (me included) wonder why that spot isn’t given to someone like either of the Youngs- particularly Lewis - who have more upside. Gardner looks like an average footballer at best. Lewis has way more upside... but he’s on ice?
    Maybe for a good reason, like, is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches?

I'm not enamoured in any way with Gardner, but he at least looks lean and fit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Maybe for a good reason, like, is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches?

I'm not enamoured in any way with Gardner, but he at least looks lean and fit.
    I can remember being impressed by Lewis Young in his first game. He had 20 possessions and took quite a few overhead marks. I thought “this kid is a real find “. He played then the way we desperately need someone to play now.

If he is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches it is a shocking indictment on the coaches.

This thought should not be entering our heads in professional sports.

This squad is starting to look like where talent goes to die.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting on how JJ bounces back. I'm looking forward to the game so I hope we do well.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I can remember being impressed by Lewis Young in his first game. He had 20 possessions and took quite a few overhead marks. I thought “this kid is a real find “. He played then the way we desperately need someone to play now.

If he is training poorly and is unfit and can't get a kick in the scratch matches it is a shocking indictment on the coaches.

This thought should not be entering our heads in professional sports.

This squad is starting to look like where talent goes to die.
    I think the coach is cooked. I've sat on the fence for a while on this and the credits he has kind of kept me in his corner. They've well and truly dried up now. The baffling selections each week is just icing on the cake on what has been a complete failure from 2017 until current time. 2016 seems like 10 years ago. It has been that bad

8. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It will be interesting on how JJ bounces back. I'm looking forward to the game so I hope we do well.
    I made a comment on this in the game day thread last week. Will it get into his head and go further downhill. I don't think he's been the same since an unknown Sydney player started pushing him around. That has lived in his head ever since I hope last week's disaster doesn't stay in there.

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to Gardner the Afl has been littered with players struggling big time in their first couple of matches or even seasons and then having good careers. I wish him all the best.

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    In regards to Gardner the Afl has been littered with players struggling big time in their first couple of matches or even seasons and then having good careers. I wish him all the best.
    He's got good height, a bit of pace and is can play a few positions so he was a good addition to our list after a couple of seasons at Geelong and I guess we were hoping we could turn him into another Joel Hamling
    With a bit of luck his best football is still to come
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's got good height, a bit of pace and is can play a few positions so he was a good addition to our list after a couple of seasons at Geelong and I guess we were hoping we could turn him into another Joel Hamling
    With a bit of luck his best football is still to come
    This. I reckon the flag has corrupted a lot of dogs fans. We always give our players a go, and although there's many valid points amongst the considered opinions on his ability, im more than willing to give him one. A go that is. *ducks again*

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This. I reckon the flag has corrupted a lot of dogs fans. We always give our players a go, and although there's many valid points amongst the considered opinions on his ability, im more than willing to give him one. A go that is. *ducks again*
    An old original WOOFER (SS) use to use the term "the 20 game rule" before deciding whether a player is any good. Gardner has played 4 games, so let's see how he goes. He is 197cm, and only 23 years old, time will tell.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Grantysghost, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imo none of the interchange bench currently deserve a game. Gardner might be a good bloke but thus far he is light years away. Player managers should be talking to Lewis Young, Sweet and Greene because they are being wasted and crucified by this match committee who seems to be rolling dice to come up with selections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Imo none of the interchange bench currently deserve a game. Gardner might be a good bloke but thus far he is light years away. Player managers should be talking to Lewis Young, Sweet and Greene because they are being wasted and crucified by this match committee who seems to be rolling dice to come up with selections.
    I wonder if the club could be a little bit more transparent regarding selections. Seems to be a real pain point for many and maybe they could be better around communication on this front whilst maintaining appropriate secrecy. Maybe just a small column from an assistant or MC member on the website explaining decisions would help bridge the gap. Not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    An old original WOOFER (SS) use to use the term "the 20 game rule" before deciding whether a player is any good. Gardner has played 4 games, so let's see how he goes. He is 197cm, and only 23 years old, time will tell.
    Lewis Young had a much more impressive start to his career, playing the last 7 games of 2017, and quite well.

He then got 2 games in 2018 and 5 games in 2019. 1 this year.

15games in three and a half years. The last 8 have come in ones and twos, not enough to fit into the team.

Will he ever get to 20?

Gardner (good luck to him) seems blessed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Yeah us supporters know better
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.