Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs members’ loyalty pays off

Article link

Listen to the podcast here

The loyalty of Western Bulldogs members in 2020 has saved the Club millions of dollars, according to the Club’s two leaders.

The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc for sporting leagues and Clubs all over the world, with the AFL doing everything it can to complete this season and limit the financial damage.

Despite crowds being unable to attend games, Bulldogs members in their tens of thousands pledged their membership money – a gesture which will be pivotal to the Club’s bottom line at the end of 2020.

President Peter Gordon and CEO Ameet Bains discussed the Club’s finances in relation to Covid-19 on the most recent edition of The Drill Hall podcast.

“We started off that period in March thinking there could be a run on membership refunds which might cost us four or five million dollars,” Gordon said.

“And there might be a run on corporate sponsors saying if you can’t deliver the product, you can’t expect the money.”

Bulldogs President Peter Gordon and CEO Ameet Bains come together for the second instalment of The Drill Hall podcast, focussed on how the Club is dealing with the pandemic.

Thankfully, the Bulldogs’ extended family dug deep when the Club needed it most.

“It warrants a massive thank you and sense of gratitude to our members, and fans and partners, who’ve stuck with us,” Bains said.

“The overwhelming number of our members have stuck with us, which has helped sure up our financial position.”

The Club’s board and management has focussed on prudent decision-making which will help navigate its way through the immediate threat of the pandemic and safeguard it for the future, while still doing what it can to support the team to be successful on the field.

The outcome of those decisions mean the Club’s finances could be in reasonable shape by the end of the year.

“When this first broke and we came to understand the dimensions of it, I think I made the public comment that the Club was facing its biggest ever loss,” Gordon said.

“We’ve worked our way through that to a point where we actually think we’ll do alright in 2020.

“It’s true to say we’ve come to understand our business a whole lot more. We know where our ambit is.

“We’re not going to suffer a catastrophic loss. We might make a loss, we might break even, and who knows we might even make a small profit.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog, WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs members’ loyalty pays off

You're welcome Peter. Now give us some scratch match footage and stop picking Billy Gowers.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    You're welcome Peter. Now give us some scratch match footage and stop picking Billy Gowers.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

It's what happens when we have a well run club with the best supporters in the league.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Likes GVGjr, Eastdog, Twodogs, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done everyone

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff! We have the most passionate supporters in the league. Go Dogs!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I would never for one single second have thought about asking for my money back.

11. Likes The Doctor, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Likewise here
    I look at it as a donation to be honest

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping that the better than anticipated position the club is in (compared with what was forecast in March), provides for the club to be able to hire back many of the people that have been stood down. I know that the AFL is having a say in what clubs can and can't do with staff numbers but am unsure of the specifics - but feeling for the many staff at the club who were committed team members and many of which are waiting to find out about where the future lies in terms of getting their jobs again.

Well done to all who were able to keep their memberships up. In times where many lost jobs or are on reduced hours and probably didn't have the option to continue their payments, it would appear that those who could afford it - were happy to continue supporting the club as mostly a donation - which is great.

I'm feeling fortunate that my wife and I kept our jobs and I didn't have to consider the membership refund sceanrio - and with that in mind, if there is a WOOFer out there that wasn't able to renew their membership, for circumstances out of their control - I would be happy to buy one of those 3 game/$95 memberships today if you DM me your details, so that you can continue your consecutive years of membership and get a member pack.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done.

Now let us buy some Western Bulldogs facemasks online!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Well done.

Now let us buy some Western Bulldogs facemasks online!
    I'm thinking of getting this one...

https://www.redbubble.com/i/mask/Wes...47706484.9G0D8

Edit : Would prefer one the club gets the cash from though ! Cmon Gordo get the sewing machine out.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 27-07-2020 at 12:11 PM.

18. Likes WBFC4FFC, Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm hoping that the better than anticipated position the club is in (compared with what was forecast in March), provides for the club to be able to hire back many of the people that have been stood down. I know that the AFL is having a say in what clubs can and can't do with staff numbers but am unsure of the specifics - but feeling for the many staff at the club who were committed team members and many of which are waiting to find out about where the future lies in terms of getting their jobs again.

Well done to all who were able to keep their memberships up. In times where many lost jobs or are on reduced hours and probably didn't have the option to continue their payments, it would appear that those who could afford it - were happy to continue supporting the club as mostly a donation - which is great.

I'm feeling fortunate that my wife and I kept our jobs and I didn't have to consider the membership refund sceanrio - and with that in mind, if there is a WOOFer out there that wasn't able to renew their membership, for circumstances out of their control - I would be happy to buy one of those 3 game/$95 memberships today if you DM me your details, so that you can continue your consecutive years of membership and get a member pack.
    I don't believe we are under any specific restrictions because we didn't get any money from the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL were definitely giving direction on some aspects, regardless of whether you were self funded or taking up a loan with through the AFL - but I'll try and find out more.

Post Thanks / Like

Way ahead of you all...
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good TBT.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"