Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  80
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

In praise of Jackson Macrae

150 games this week for a bloke who flies under the radar but such an important player for us. His game on the weekend was quintessentially Macrae. An absolute gun.

A couple of years ago when Stringer was traded I wrote this article about the differing careers and personalities of the two blokes who were drafted together: The story of Jack and Jake. Many people have told me how much they liked this one so it might be worth a trip down memory lane.

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-...-jack-and-jake

Congratulations to Jack and thanks ALWAYS for that goal in 2016.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: In praise of Jackson Macrae

What a gun
    Incredibly underrated in the comp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TBT - 150 games have really crept up. Macrae is an absolute gun and I would have him 100 more than Jake.

As Remi mentioned, he is so underrated, but then he was AA last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolute gun. Criminally underrated, even by some of our own supporters. I believe should have won a B&F by now. Just so consistent and reliable. He's rarely injured *touches wood* but it'd be interesting to see how we fare without him. I feel he is one of our most important players.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all above, he deserves all the adulation and praise we can muster absolute warrior for our team; a rarely humble hero.
    Let's bring home the four points for a premiership superstar.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the criticism we’re hearing about Sam Walsh now has been levelled at Macrae, and has probably damaged his standing both in the general public and evidently before All Australian selectors. Another player that Brendan McCartney put a lot of effort into trying to get the least out of as well. But Jack has been a superstar for a long time despite what some would have you believe.

Average players simply don’t have 33 touches in a Grand Final, or have games of 43 disposals with multiple goals before they turn 20. What a great player he’s been and he’s not even halfway done yet.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also he’s probably indirectly responsible for turning the entire club around when he politely informed Matthew Boyd that he was not, in fact, Nathan Buckley and it might behoove him to try and hit a target once in a while.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Raw Toast, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we boast a more consistent, high-level match day performer over the last five years?

No. The answer's no.

Jacko's a dead set machine and his ability to roll up every week and get it done during a span when our collective output has been maddeningly inconsistent just makes you doubly grateful for *in my best Luke Darcy voice* the way he goes about it.

Rolled gold stud. Underrated? Who dare underrate this bloke any more?

Let's go another 150 please Jacko and sneak a couple more flags for your efforts.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep-Jack Macrae is a keeper.

Good article Bulldog Tragician-well worth a re-read.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Jacko. absolute superstar and humble as they come.

I remember listening to him on SEN as Stringer was being traded and they spoke of the sliding doors of their two paths. he basically called out they had very different lives and the pressures on both of them were very different and he empathised that the pressure of kids and his home life wasnt something he knew enough about to comment on - pretty mature for a 23 year old.

i still find it funny he is called the most underrated player by people who "dont support the dogs" - i think that should be rebadged as people who "dont really know footy" because anyone that does wholeheartedly rates him from my interactions.
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    A lot of the criticism we’re hearing about Sam Walsh now has been levelled at Macrae, and has probably damaged his standing both in the general public and evidently before All Australian selectors. Another player that Brendan McCartney put a lot of effort into trying to get the least out of as well. But Jack has been a superstar for a long time despite what some would have you believe.

Average players simply don’t have 33 touches in a Grand Final, or have games of 43 disposals with multiple goals before they turn 20. What a great player he’s been and he’s not even halfway done yet.
    What do you mean by this?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Also he’s probably indirectly responsible for turning the entire club around when he politely informed Matthew Boyd that he was not, in fact, Nathan Buckley and it might behoove him to try and hit a target once in a while.
    I vaguely remember something along these lines, what actually happened?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great player. Goes under the radar. Just works so hard in that midfield. He is a major part of the engine room.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great piece TBT

The irony I suppose is that Jack is widely known as being "underrated" by everyone which actually makes him "rated"
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Jet. Way tougher than he looks too.
    "It's over. It's all over."