Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  80
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In praise of Jackson Macrae

At the open training session last Thursday, Macrae came off the track half way thru the session. I was looking to see if he was carrying a niggle or two but couldn't see anything physically wrong (thru binoculars).

I then wondered if he was leaving the ground as the sports science numbers had indicated he was close to his full 'load' for the week.

Maybe in hindsight, he was carrying some little niggle into the game versus Sydney, as his numbers were not as 'Macrae like' as previous.

(Also noted Bevo and McLean in a deep conversation for some time when the training session was ending and suspected he might have been in line for going back to VFL which ended up happening).
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be captain tomorrow night - watch out Port for a huge game from the star.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jacko's a complete pro and we are bloody lucky to have him. Looking forward to a big game from him tomorrow.

There's been some commentary on the site about his accumulation and whether he is actually dangerous with it, and I get it a bit but at the same time his effectiveness is only ever going to be as good as the players around him - just like any accumulator.

I don't think we've ever had a player equally as tricky both by foot and hand as him. In each case he sees angles and executes to them others don't. He's not only a pro, he's a complete freak.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jacko's a complete pro and we are bloody lucky to have him. Looking forward to a big game from him tomorrow.

There's been some commentary on the site about his accumulation and whether he is actually dangerous with it, and I get it a bit but at the same time his effectiveness is only ever going to be as good as the players around him - just like any accumulator.

I don't think we've ever had a player equally as tricky both by foot and hand as him. In each case he sees angles and executes to them others don't. He's not only a pro, he's a complete freak.
    The derision of him as an accumulator is nonsense. For one, getting the ball a million times is a good thing that is hard to do, and secondly, he was second in the AFL for goal assists last year, which is about as damaging as you can be without punching someone in the head.

I do think that we largely hear it from media voices more so than on here though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes ratsmac, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's awesome no doubt as a footballer.

How do we think he will go as El Capitano?

I think it's a brave move by Bevo making him VC but it could really drive him to the next level as a person.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what you mean by tricky but its hard to go past a player like Hawkins, but that's pretty stiff competition.
    I'm liking that Jack has hit the scoreboard a few times this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by tricky but its hard to go past a player like Hawkins, but that's pretty stiff competition.
    I'm liking that Jack has hit the scoreboard a few times this year.
    Leon Cameron too. Him and Hawkins both had the advantage of being genuinely at home kicking the ball left and right footed so they could go in either direction and leave the opposition looking a bit silly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, does Aker count?

At one point he was the best kick in the competition off his right foot and the second best off his left.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I mean, does Aker count?

At one point he was the best kick in the competition off his right foot and the second best off his left.
    That was more with Brisbane than with us though wasn't it?. I mean he was borderline flying with us at times but his truly great footy was with Brisbane.

He still made going to the footy a worthwhile exercise with us though. You'd look down the line wondering where he was when we had the footy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That was more with Brisbane than with us though wasn't it?. I mean he was borderline flying with us at times but his truly great footy was with Brisbane.

He still made going to the footy a worthwhile exercise with us though. You'd look down the line wondering where he was when we had the footy.
    He kicked 20, 49, 43 goals for us
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Leon Cameron too. Him and Hawkins both had the advantage of being genuinely at home kicking the ball left and right footed so they could go in either direction and leave the opposition looking a bit silly.
    100% I just thought of Doug immediately when I heard smart by hand and foot. Doug was a master at getting a handball away and was a great exponent of the look away handball. As you mention he had crazy good vision and the ability to hit targets with either foot at any angle.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably wasn't thinking that far back, more so in modern times.

By tricky I mean there's a lot of times Jacko should either get caught with the footy, or his disposal should get blocked and it doesn't. By foot he works angles not many players can, and by hand he always manages to get it away in close and to my eye rarely gets caught or gives away free kicks for incorrect disposal.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably wasn't thinking that far back, more so in modern times.

By tricky I mean there's a lot of times Jacko should either get caught with the footy, or his disposal should get blocked and it doesn't. By foot he works angles not many players can, and by hand he always manages to get it away in close and to my eye rarely gets caught or gives away free kicks for incorrect disposal.
    I know exactly what you mean.

He’s great at getting it around the corner and I’ve never seen a player so willing to take the extra second and get hit as he disposed of the ball. Jacko has mastered that. Long love the Nater.

19. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I know exactly what you mean.

He’s great at getting it around the corner and I’ve never seen a player so willing to take the extra second and get hit as he disposed of the ball. Jacko has mastered that. Long love the Nater.
    Epitomises the actions speaking louder than words. Need it tonight!

Post Thanks / Like

His right foot is more than handy for a left footer too.