Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb Daniel - The Gun - 100 Games

Daniel is an absolute gun and racks up his 100th this Wednesday. I can't believe how quickly this has come up. Still only 24 years old and plenty of years ahead of him

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Caleb Daniel - The Gun - 100 Games

Caleb’s century cause for celebration

Caleb Daniel had his doubters when he was drafted, but in the Bulldogs’ eyes, the upside was clear.

Elite kick. Tick. Elite decision-maker. Tick. Elite runner. Tick.

In 2014, Daniel became the shortest player to enter the AFL system since 1990 Brownlow Medallist – and Bulldog great – Tony Liberatore.

Somehow, he slipped to Liberatore’s boys in red, white and blue, as their fifth selection in the draft alongside current teammates Toby McLean, Bailey Dale and Zaine Cordy.

Daniel has repaid the Bulldogs faith time and time again.

This week, he will play his 100th AFL game, alongside fellow milestone men Jack Macrae (150th) and Bailey Williams (50th).

“Caleb’s a terrific player, he’s one of those players whose recent form has been outstanding,” Macrae said.

“He’s just such a clever player.

“Whenever he gets the ball, I think everyone’s eyes light up because they know they’re probably going to get a kick to them.

“His skill is outstanding and his courageousness for such a small player is terrific.”

Then list manager Jason McCartney and his team have proven to be right, going by his draft-night comments about the South Australian product.

"Many people have questioned his size but we went back and analysed how he won the football,” he said at the time.

"His kick and decision-making and ball retention are so critical in the game, he was exceptional at that."

Daniel’s debut came mid-way through his first season, 2015, and he got a taste of finals football.

The following year, he became a premiership player.

He’s had a number of roles since then, and has now settled into a quarterback-style role at half back over the past two seasons, alongside fellow playmakers Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier.

Regardless of role, he’s been ultra-consistent and a dependable presence – playing 99 of a possible 112 games since debut.

Five of those missed games were last year due to hamstring injuries, when he was perhaps in All Australian contention after notching eight 30-plus disposals games as a defender.

“He’s really built into the role,” Macrae said of Daniel the defender.

“I think now the leadership side of his game’s really coming out and he’s bringing other players along with him, which takes a bit of time.

“He’s one of those players you just look at and know what you’re going to get.

“I think the rest of the competition is starting to take notice of what we’ve known for a few years now.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations and well done. Looking forward to anther 200 games of quality just like the last 100
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Pound for pound, he has to be close to the most talented player in the league. Definitely one of the smartest.

It's been a joy to watch him and he's not even in his prime yet.

Kudos to our recruiting team for pulling the trigger.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great player. Easily the smartest on our list.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Some of his disposal in the wet last game was just ridiculous.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most skilled players ever to pull on the jumper

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Caleb. A fine 100 game career to date.

I still remember speaking with my wife's cousin at xmas just after Caleb had been drafted, and he had played a few games with Caleb at South Adelaide when Caleb as a 17 year old played some seniors. He told me we'd drafted a beauty of a player who was the best kick he'd played with.

Set us alight in the 2016 finals with his enormous elimination final game (33 and a goal), and has done brilliantly to adapt to new roles. Has really race to 100 games, and looks every chance to play 200, if not 250 - a great buy for a pick 50ish.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Caleb. I annoy my friends by constantly talking about him and I was even lucky enough to have a chat with him after the GF; he has been one of my favourites ever since. Stark example of what makes our game so accessible, he possesses incredible skill and decision making which are second to none. A few choice tatts now too. Here's to another 300 !

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s got to be the safest pair of hands in the AFL. We sometimes over rely on his decision making and execution.

Amazing to think he hasn’t played 100 games yet considering all he has accomplished.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Daniel is an absolute gun and racks up his 100th this Wednesday. I can't believe how quickly this has come up. Still only 24 years old and plenty of years ahead of him

Great highlights but how that goal from 50 in the 2016 elimination final didn’t make the cut....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Great highlights but how that goal from 50 in the 2016 elimination final didn’t make the cut....
    Think it's only 2019.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Underrated.

His footy IQ is matched only by Pendlebury, nobody else.

Extremely clean, highly skilled, courageous. If he was 185cms he'd win a Brownlow. Great career to date.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I wasn’t keen on him playing in defence. Very happy to be completely wrong. He’s having a brilliant year. Love him.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Really good player. He uses the ball so well. Congrats Caleb on 100 Bulldog games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"