Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratch match wrap | Dogs v Suns

link

The Western Bulldogs had a number of strong performers in a Sunday afternoon scratch match against the Gold Coast Suns.

Ryan Gardner, Rhylee West, Ben Cavarra and Fergus Greene led the way for the Bulldogs, whose side also featured a couple of Richmond players and a rotating Sun.

Greene snared four goals, with West and Lachie Young the other Bulldogs to impact the scoreboard.

Draftee Riley Garcia played his first game as a Bulldog, featuring in the first quarter as a first step back from his ACL injury.

Coach Daniel Giansiracusa said it was pleasing to get a full game under his players’ belts, after a week off between scratch matches.

“It was great to get 80 minutes of game time into the boys… they were really craving a proper hit-out,” he said.

“The conditioning element of getting game time into guys is essentially what we’re looking for at the moment, while still trying to develop them so they’re ready when they get an opportunity at senior level.”

Lachie Hunter, who is unavailable for AFL selection at the moment due to personal reasons, also featured in the scratch match.

“We played him inside, and he probably looked better inside than outside, where we’ve become accustomed to seeing Lach,” Giansiracusa said.

“He’ll be better for the run and he approached it with the right attitude, which is what we were looking for.”

Daniel Giansiracusa on

Ryan Gardner…
    “I thought Gardy was really solid. He’s got the ability to read the ball coming in and usually in these games it’s in a bit more space. He was really assertive with his mindset and was willing to come off his opponent and support for his teammates. That’s his second game back now from a minor calf injury.”

Rhylee West…
    “He started forward, because it’s probably more likely if he comes into the senior side he plays forward with the way our midfield is set up. It was good to see him hit the scoreboard early and run some good patterns. When he went into the midfield, he showed a real appetite for the contest, not only to win the ball himself but putting pressure on the opposition.”

Fergus Greene…
    “He was scratchy early in the game, but as it went on he got some good chemistry with his teammates up the field and put himself in a position to impact the game and the scoreboard. He’s playing some good footy. It was great that he took his opportunities this week… When he got his opportunities, on the lead-up most of the time, he was able to convert which was pleasing for us.”

Ben Cavarra…
    “He was buzzing around, putting pressure on the opposition and putting himself in positions to help us on the scoreboard. It was great that he was able to hold onto the ball and help his teammates to get into positions further up the field and send them on their way. He’s putting some consistent form together.”

GOLD COAST SUNS 5.3 8.8 12.9 15.9 (99)
    WESTERN BULLDOGS 3.1 5.2 6.3 8.6 (54)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratch match wrap | Dogs v Suns

Free Ferg
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't mind seeing a forwardline of:

Cavarra Bruce Weightman
    Greene Naughton Wallis
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad the club has stepped up and is providing some info on the scratch matches.

Are they conditioning us for a Gardner return?

Hopefully Fergus and Cavarra get a chance to show if they are worthy of a list spot going forward at some stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Fergus Greene.

Pros: At AFL level, got space and finds the ball inside the F50
    Cons: Gets the ball very wide at AFL level, giving himself lower % shots on goal

Verdict: getting shots on goal, as opposed to our current approach of kicking it in blindly and letting the opposition walk it out, would help us right now.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So if they can show us a video of Riley Garcia running around without getting the ball, why can't we get at least some vision of the actual scratch matches.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Fergus Greene.

Pros: At AFL level, got space and finds the ball inside the F50
    Cons: Gets the ball very wide at AFL level, giving himself lower % shots on goal

Verdict: getting shots on goal, as opposed to our current approach of kicking it in blindly and letting the opposition walk it out, would help us right now.
    Can we play with both Dale and Greene Deep in the Forward Line together?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm glad the club has stepped up and is providing some info on the scratch matches.

Are they conditioning us for a Gardner return?

Hopefully Fergus and Cavarra get a chance to show if they are worthy of a list spot going forward at some stage.
    I am disappointed no details on guys like Lew Young

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am disappointed no details on guys like Lew Young
    So based on the report, there are just 4 players from the scratch match who might be considered for a call up against Brisbane.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    So based on the report, there are just 4 players from the scratch match who might be considered for a call up against Brisbane.
    If Brisbane agrees to a pressure free game and maybe 16 each a side, Gardner is a lock for BOG.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    To be fair we did get belted.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing a forwardline of:

Cavarra Bruce Weightman
    Greene Naughton Wallis
    Don't you mean backline?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Don't you mean backline?
    Tells you how atrocious our current forward set up is, doesn't it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Tells you how atrocious our current forward set up is, doesn't it
    Yes, yes it does.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I asked the media content producer at the AFL who covers WB (Jourdan Canil) about Lew Young and this was his response:

I certainly agree with you on those points and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him given a run again soon. I think Bevo is trying to find the right mix with Naughton out, but that’s a smaller line up at the moment. If he bangs down the door he’ll get his chance.