Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A list of interminable issues

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is this what constitutes a deep dive now does it?

Team is good when they show up and it's on their terms. Team not good when they don't and it's not.
    I thought it was just stating the obvious with no real analysis
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought it was just stating the obvious with no real analysis
    Instead of the first sentence reading Terry Wallace has taken a deep dive into some worrying trends at Western Bulldogs over a 15-game stretch. it should have said Terry Wallace has not reviewed data properly, uses the outcomes of his poor data analysis to form a view of the Western Bulldogs whilst ignoring other glaring issues that impact performance.

Unless he's talking about preseason, in the last fifteen games we've played in two games that have been decided by less than 25 points, actually, two within the last fourteen. In the eight weeks prior to the first of the two in that fourteen, we played in three games decided by less than four goals and won all of them, having won another by 25 points.

Who does this shit and puts it to print? Now I went for 22 games because that's the length of a home and away season. I wonder what the norm in a home and away season for winning games decided under four goals is. Is five a lot?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure where to post this but here seems as good a place as any:

TERRY WALLACE’S DEEP DIVE INTO THE BULLDOGS’ WORRYING PATTERNS

Terry Wallace has taken a deep dive into some worrying trends at Western Bulldogs over a 15-game stretch.

The Bulldogs could be outside the top eight by the end of the weekend after they were comprehensively beaten by reigning premiers Richmond to the tune of 41 points on Wednesday night.

peaking on SEN’s The Match Committee, Wallace assessed the manner in which the Dogs have been beaten in recent times and the question marks over their adaptability against well-structured sides.

“There is an absolute pattern occurring, in a matter of fact, it’s occurred for longer than that (this season),” the former Bulldogs coach said.

“In their last 15 games that they’ve played only one game, which was last weekend in the wet and slippery conditions against the Gold Coast, only one game has been decided by less than 24 points.

“They’ve either won every game by four-plus goals or they’ve been beaten every game by four-plus goals in 15 games.

“Who have they beaten this season? They’ve beaten 10th, 12th, 14th and 17th with one win against a top eight side in Essendon. They have beaten sides who are either immature or that lack real genuine organisation and cohesion.

“This is their losing margins this year: 52 (points), 39, 52, 41 – they’ve been belted when they’ve got beaten. So that’s against Collingwood (ninth), St Kilda (fifth), Carlton (11th) and Richmond (3rd).

“What are those sides to me? Most of them are good sides but what they are is they are disciplined and organised in their game structures and game plans.

“The young sides and the lack of organisation sides the Doggies are beating, the sides who work them out and figure them out, they don’t beat.

“When they get beaten, what beats them? It is absolutely clear what beats them – it’s sides who control the ball against the Bulldogs. Their inside 50 effectiveness drops from a win where it’s 49 per cent … to in a loss it’s 35 per cent. They are 14 per cent different if they are not allowed to play their own natural game.

“If they’re not allowed to play their natural game and the pressure comes back on them the other way, they fall apart.”

The Dogs have a quick turnaround before playing Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Monday night.
    It's a point well made by Plough and I'm sure Bevo would be aware of this but figuring out the answers required to turn things around has proven difficult for him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I appreciate some of the areas in the opening post are around structure and longer term work towards area's I can still pick a few that I think can be fixed during and at the end of the season:

1) Be prepared to employ a run with player. It doesn't need to be every week but Martin posed a huge challenge for us before the game and we didn't do a lot to curb that.
    2) Be consistent with team selections. If Schache is made to earn his spot and is dropped after one poor game in conditions he was never suited for why is Bruce picked each with just one good game behind him.
    3) Be prepared to more honest and ruthless at the end of the season with the players that are retained
    4) Be prepared to bypass the sports scientists instructions and get players to do extra work on their set shot goal kicking. I'm over seeing tricky goals packaged up on the highlight reels and would prefer to see a more efficient conversion performance by our forwards
    Efficient goal kicking is a boring aspect that I enjoy and as Mofra often points out, if a player like Casboult can improve everyone can improve
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm on my lonesome here but i think Schache fixes some of our forward line issues.

He doesn't get tangled up with Bruce for every entry, he makes repeated leads and can actually finish. Not a world beater by any stretch but imo makes us less predictable. Just don't play him in the wet
    Malthouse tried that out with Beasley until Beaser had a day out in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He also needs some help!

With Naughton either ineffectual or injured we have no other aerial threats in the forward half and it means Bruce is drawing a crowd whenever he goes near the ball. No surprise that his best performance was in a game that Schache played and did well to draw other defenders away and opened up some leading lanes.

And are you able to provide some fact on his playing weight now as opposed to in other years? Or are you just guessing?
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Guessing from looking at him compared to previous years
    I’m not aware of Josh Bruce’s weight comparison year on year but can think of very few modern day player’s going around with his body shape. Hawkins would be the closest but at face value Jack looks leaner and seems more mobile than Josh. Josh could do worse than to model himself on Hawkins who are both in the twilight years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Schache perfectly compliments our forward line. He's exactly what we need along with a natural small forward. Problem with Schache is his efforts. If he'd just pull his finger out he'd have a permanent spot in the team on his ability. Hopefully it clicks for him soon otherwise what a waste.
    I agree. I would liken him to Port’s Todd Marshall. In fact all of Marshall’s average stats this year line up almost exactly to Schache’s career averages.

Marshall gives Port’s forward-line a different look, is often a handful for the second or third best tall defender, and importantly keeps his opponent accountable when the high ball comes in (stopping them from being a second or third up against Dixon). He is also very accurate with his limited shots on goal.

Marshall out is a big win for us, guaranteed he would have kicked a bag on us while everyone is busy worrying about Dixon. I’d say likewise Port would view us not playing Schache as a win for them.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I’m not aware of Josh Bruce’s weight comparison year on year but can think of very few modern day player’s going around with his body shape. Hawkins would be the closest but at face value Jack looks leaner and seems more mobile than Josh. Josh could do worse than to model himself on Hawkins who are both in the twilight years.
    Hawkins is a star who has rarely (if ever) played as the lone tall in the F50.
    He's also part of a F50 system that went out in two draft/trade periods and prioritised ground-ball pressure to surround their talls with (Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers, Rohan, Narkle, etc).

I don't think Bruce's body shape is the issue, it's our system of bringing the ball in when the defence has made position. We do generate scoring chains from the back half and move the ball quickly, meaning we can score when the defence is out of position. Once they're set we seem clueless, with Wallis being smart enough to sneak into a good position our only avenue to goal.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone think Tom McDonald could be a handy addition to our backline?

He has been pushed out of defence when the dees were struggling to score in 2018(kicked 50 odd) and since they have recruited Lever and May. He is lost forward and would continue to be lost forward in our forward line but I reckon he would add value down back.

I cant see why we cant play Cordy/Keath/McDonald in defence with either Keath/McDonald playing as an intercepter.

Not sure of his contract status.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post

He has been pushed out of defence when the dees were struggling to score in 2018(kicked 50 odd) and since they have recruited Lever and May. He is lost forward and would continue to be lost forward in our forward line but I reckon he would add value down back.

I cant see why we cant play Cordy/Keath/McDonald in defence with either Keath/McDonald playing as an intercepter.

I like the thought, looking for the next Crozier (player not utilised at current team) but Tmac is a poor kick and drives Demons fans insane. I vote for no more poor kicks in our team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I like the thought, looking for the next Crozier (player not utilised at current team) but Tmac is a poor kick and drives Demons fans insane. I vote for no more poor kicks in our team
    I'm not sure his kicking out of defence would be an issue. He is signed till 22 I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard pass.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Hard pass.
    How come? Wasn't he very good as a defender?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure his kicking out of defence would be an issue. He is signed till 22 I believe.
    Sorry I was talking about his field kicking. It was always heart in mouth stuff out of defence. He is a decent set shot.
    Talking to Dees friends they say hes lost his athleticism which was a strength since his knee injury last year.
    I watched last week's game he was terrible, had no lateral movement.
    I actually quizzed someone he was that bad as to what's wrong with him.

18. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How come? Wasn't he very good as a defender?
    I just don't rate him. I can't really give you a better response.
    "It's over. It's all over."