Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A list of interminable issues

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We added Bruce who was rated with that F50 marking ability and now is nowhere near as effective
    Losing Naughton and adding Bruce shouldn't have made that much of a difference between 2019 and 2020 but it has
    Last night we had Bruce lead into an enormous hole and mark about 35m out. Goal followed.

I also saw Bont try to outmark him, and English coming the other way managed to punch the ball away from both.

I think the first instance was an accident because I saw the second repeated by other forwards many times.

I am sure I saw West do it a few weeks ago and maybe Weightman last week.

Got to feel sorry for Bruce, he seems to be the only full forward who has his teammates as such a liability.

There is no coordination on the forward line so the ball bounces out of the 50 metre arc easily.

2. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Last night we had Bruce lead into an enormous hole and mark about 35m out. Goal followed.

I also saw Bont try to outmark him, and English coming the other way managed to punch the ball away from both.

I think the first instance was an accident because I saw the second repeated by other forwards many times.

Got to feel sorry for Bruce, he seems to be the only full forward who has his teammates as such a liability.

There is no coordination on the forward line so the ball bounces out of the 50 metre arc easily.
    Yep. All players leading for the same ball doesn't help our cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Also I think whether you or anyone else agrees/disagrees IS relevant. Perhaps the issues I've listed aren't as problematic as I think. Afterall these are just my observations from sitting on a couch watching the games on TV. It'd be good to hear other perspectives.
    Yeah - I guess but I didn't really mean it like that. What I meant was:

"There is a lot of 'stuff' to unpack (both watching the game and in your post) but we clearly can't fix EVERYTHING...we need to focus on 'something'". I guess I really wanted to know what YOU thought might be correctable in the short term (given it was your list)...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah - I guess but I didn't really mean it like that. What I meant was:

"There is a lot of 'stuff' to unpack (both watching the game and in your post) but we clearly can't fix EVERYTHING...we need to focus on 'something'". I guess I really wanted to know what YOU thought might be correctable in the short term (given it was your list)...
    The talent is there. All it needs is for the coach to say two words:

spread out,

Maybe add in two more:

man up,

Maybe include:

kick it.

There. Half of the problems solved.

Now add to that a key position backman, a centre half forward who leads away from Bruce, a genuine second ruck to take pressure off English and half of the rest are taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like

The talent is there. All it needs is for the coach to say two words:

spread out,

Maybe add in two more:

man up,

Maybe include:

kick it.

There. Half of the problems solved.

Now add to that a key position backman, a centre half forward who leads away from Bruce, a genuine second ruck to take pressure off English and half of the rest are taken care of.
    I'll add three more: "front and square". We never seem to have anyone at the foot of the pack.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'll add three more: "front and square". We never seem to have anyone at the foot of the pack.
    If they are they are right in their jumper and not a good distance back for a spillage and clean possession. Spacing has been awful for a while, I can't comment on this season to much as I don't really notice it watching on TV, if I'm at the ground I see more but it's often something I'm moaning to myself about on the drive home after a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We added Bruce who was rated with that F50 marking ability and now is nowhere near as effective
    Losing Naughton and adding Bruce shouldn't have made that much of a difference between 2019 and 2020 but it has
    He was fourth in contested marks last year and he has been disappointing this year with only 8 after 9 games. Dixon is leading with 26, and the next best is 18. Tim English has 15.

He is another one that has stacked on the weight and needs to trim up
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He was fourth in contested marks last year and he has been disappointing this year with only 8 after 9 games. Dixon is leading with 26, and the next best is 18. Tim English has 15.

He is another one that has stacked on the weight and needs to trim up
    He also needs some help!

With Naughton either ineffectual or injured we have no other aerial threats in the forward half and it means Bruce is drawing a crowd whenever he goes near the ball. No surprise that his best performance was in a game that Schache played and did well to draw other defenders away and opened up some leading lanes.

And are you able to provide some fact on his playing weight now as opposed to in other years? Or are you just guessing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    And are you able to provide some fact on his playing weight now as opposed to in other years? Or are you just guessing?
    Guessing from looking at him compared to previous years

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Guessing from looking at him compared to previous years
    BAD's previous occupation was guessing people's weights in a travelling carnival, he is remarkably accurate.

13. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This 100% Way to many of our players flying for the same ball instead of letting Bruce do all the work, some of our guys really need to watch it coming into the 50 and if they see Bruce going for it, stay at ground and get ready to crumb if it comes out the back or isn't marked. His an excellent mark above his head and I have no idea why half our guys are so intent on spoiling him in the contest.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    BAD's previous occupation was guessing people's weights in a travelling carnival, he is remarkably accurate.
    Very funny.

Tell me what is your opinion on his size?

Post Thanks / Like

Very funny.

Tell me what is your opinion on his size?
    He does appear big but I've got no idea if he's bigger than last year, I never took much notice of him at St Kilda.

By the way I wasn't having a crack at you, just a joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He does appear big but I've got no idea if he's bigger than last year, I never took much notice of him at St Kilda.

By the way I wasn't having a crack at you, just a joke.
    All good I took it as a joke. I was starting to think maybe I am too harsh on his weight

Post Thanks / Like

Others will be better versed than I - but is the place to start this week the midfield?

If Bont, English and Smith are as poor again, and collectively we over possess, turn it over and perhaps don't work hard enough defensively, allow easy forward exits, then we are not likely. Will we throw a curve ball like resting English and blooding Sweet in his home state?

Is the midfield the starting place for getting a better performance this week?

Sure the backline had some moments that weren't super, the ball got out the back too easily, but when you allow midfields time and space to set it up then guys like Lynch will occasionally take a good mark etc. I felt like the backline hung in there and worked away at it.

The forward line has been in a state of flux all season with players coming in and out of the team - Wallis has been the constant, Bruce is new to the team, and Vandameeer is new to senior AFL footy but has made a really bright start. Around them Naughton, Schache, West, and Dale, plus Lloyd and Gowers, and Richards have been in and out of the forward line through form and injuries - isn't it natural at this stage that we wouldn't be as cohesive in that area?

Or is that a cop out?