Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A list of interminable issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He also needs some help!

With Naughton either ineffectual or injured we have no other aerial threats in the forward half and it means Bruce is drawing a crowd whenever he goes near the ball. No surprise that his best performance was in a game that Schache played and did well to draw other defenders away and opened up some leading lanes.

And are you able to provide some fact on his playing weight now as opposed to in other years? Or are you just guessing?
    We're also not fantastic at kicking to his advantage. Maybe it's a Bruce thing though as we manage to make it work with Wally.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where to post this but here seems as good a place as any:

TERRY WALLACE’S DEEP DIVE INTO THE BULLDOGS’ WORRYING PATTERNS

Terry Wallace has taken a deep dive into some worrying trends at Western Bulldogs over a 15-game stretch.

The Bulldogs could be outside the top eight by the end of the weekend after they were comprehensively beaten by reigning premiers Richmond to the tune of 41 points on Wednesday night.

peaking on SEN’s The Match Committee, Wallace assessed the manner in which the Dogs have been beaten in recent times and the question marks over their adaptability against well-structured sides.

“There is an absolute pattern occurring, in a matter of fact, it’s occurred for longer than that (this season),” the former Bulldogs coach said.

“In their last 15 games that they’ve played only one game, which was last weekend in the wet and slippery conditions against the Gold Coast, only one game has been decided by less than 24 points.

“They’ve either won every game by four-plus goals or they’ve been beaten every game by four-plus goals in 15 games.

“Who have they beaten this season? They’ve beaten 10th, 12th, 14th and 17th with one win against a top eight side in Essendon. They have beaten sides who are either immature or that lack real genuine organisation and cohesion.

“This is their losing margins this year: 52 (points), 39, 52, 41 – they’ve been belted when they’ve got beaten. So that’s against Collingwood (ninth), St Kilda (fifth), Carlton (11th) and Richmond (3rd).

“What are those sides to me? Most of them are good sides but what they are is they are disciplined and organised in their game structures and game plans.

“The young sides and the lack of organisation sides the Doggies are beating, the sides who work them out and figure them out, they don’t beat.

“When they get beaten, what beats them? It is absolutely clear what beats them – it’s sides who control the ball against the Bulldogs. Their inside 50 effectiveness drops from a win where it’s 49 per cent … to in a loss it’s 35 per cent. They are 14 per cent different if they are not allowed to play their own natural game.

“If they’re not allowed to play their natural game and the pressure comes back on them the other way, they fall apart.”

The Dogs have a quick turnaround before playing Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Monday night.

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So are we the worst of the better teams or the best of the worst teams?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty fair analysis by Plough, and one that many on here have previously noted over the last 18 months

I hope we can unlock the secret to reversing this clear trend. Otherwise we will be stuck in the middle-of-the-road and nowhere near contending.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I'm on my lonesome here but i think Schache fixes some of our forward line issues.

He doesn't get tangled up with Bruce for every entry, he makes repeated leads and can actually finish. Not a world beater by any stretch but imo makes us less predictable. Just don't play him in the wet

7. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Others will be better versed than I - but is the place to start this week the midfield?

If Bont, English and Smith are as poor again, and collectively we over possess, turn it over and perhaps don't work hard enough defensively, allow easy forward exits, then we are not likely. Will we throw a curve ball like resting English and blooding Sweet in his home state?

Is the midfield the starting place for getting a better performance this week?

Sure the backline had some moments that weren't super, the ball got out the back too easily, but when you allow midfields time and space to set it up then guys like Lynch will occasionally take a good mark etc. I felt like the backline hung in there and worked away at it.

The forward line has been in a state of flux all season with players coming in and out of the team - Wallis has been the constant, Bruce is new to the team, and Vandameeer is new to senior AFL footy but has made a really bright start. Around them Naughton, Schache, West, and Dale, plus Lloyd and Gowers, and Richards have been in and out of the forward line through form and injuries - isn't it natural at this stage that we wouldn't be as cohesive in that area?

Or is that a cop out?
    It's not a cop out. It's a valid point. I guess the concern is we've never been settled up forward. When was the last time we had a settled forward line? Even in our premiership year it wasn't exactly settled apart from Stringer and Dickson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm on my lonesome here but i think Schache fixes some of our forward line issues.

He doesn't get tangled up with Bruce for every entry, he makes repeated leads and can actually finish. Not a world beater by any stretch but imo makes us less predictable. Just don't play him in the wet
    Schache perfectly compliments our forward line. He's exactly what we need along with a natural small forward. Problem with Schache is his efforts. If he'd just pull his finger out he'd have a permanent spot in the team on his ability. Hopefully it clicks for him soon otherwise what a waste.

Post Thanks / Like

He just constantly leads at the ball carrier, which means players upfield don't need to try and slow the game down to retain the ball.

He's no KPF but he does work hard and lead, lead, lead. He will have up and down games but right now he wouldn't be the worst forward we have if he gets a chance this week (I really believe he would have played last game except for concussion).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Others will be better versed than I - but is the place to start this week the midfield?

If Bont, English and Smith are as poor again, and collectively we over possess, turn it over and perhaps don't work hard enough defensively, allow easy forward exits, then we are not likely. Will we throw a curve ball like resting English and blooding Sweet in his home state?

Is the midfield the starting place for getting a better performance this week?

Sure the backline had some moments that weren't super, the ball got out the back too easily, but when you allow midfields time and space to set it up then guys like Lynch will occasionally take a good mark etc. I felt like the backline hung in there and worked away at it.

The forward line has been in a state of flux all season with players coming in and out of the team - Wallis has been the constant, Bruce is new to the team, and Vandameeer is new to senior AFL footy but has made a really bright start. Around them Naughton, Schache, West, and Dale, plus Lloyd and Gowers, and Richards have been in and out of the forward line through form and injuries - isn't it natural at this stage that we wouldn't be as cohesive in that area?

Or is that a cop out?
    I don't think that's unreasonable. A lot of the malaise when we're playing poorly can be traced back to set up and intent between the arcs I think......noting it may only just seem that way because you can't see the whole ground on TV.

You're also right about the forward line, and it shows that without Lloyd or Dickson in the team, and with Dale putting in lackadaisical performances the mix we have is light on for quality forward craft and nous.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Not on your lonesome-I agree. Schache also a reliable goal kicker-unlike most of rest of team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not sure where to post this but here seems as good a place as any:

TERRY WALLACE’S DEEP DIVE INTO THE BULLDOGS’ WORRYING PATTERNS

Terry Wallace has taken a deep dive into some worrying trends at Western Bulldogs over a 15-game stretch.

The Bulldogs could be outside the top eight by the end of the weekend after they were comprehensively beaten by reigning premiers Richmond to the tune of 41 points on Wednesday night.

peaking on SEN’s The Match Committee, Wallace assessed the manner in which the Dogs have been beaten in recent times and the question marks over their adaptability against well-structured sides.

“There is an absolute pattern occurring, in a matter of fact, it’s occurred for longer than that (this season),” the former Bulldogs coach said.

“In their last 15 games that they’ve played only one game, which was last weekend in the wet and slippery conditions against the Gold Coast, only one game has been decided by less than 24 points.

“They’ve either won every game by four-plus goals or they’ve been beaten every game by four-plus goals in 15 games.

“Who have they beaten this season? They’ve beaten 10th, 12th, 14th and 17th with one win against a top eight side in Essendon. They have beaten sides who are either immature or that lack real genuine organisation and cohesion.

“This is their losing margins this year: 52 (points), 39, 52, 41 – they’ve been belted when they’ve got beaten. So that’s against Collingwood (ninth), St Kilda (fifth), Carlton (11th) and Richmond (3rd).

“What are those sides to me? Most of them are good sides but what they are is they are disciplined and organised in their game structures and game plans.

“The young sides and the lack of organisation sides the Doggies are beating, the sides who work them out and figure them out, they don’t beat.

“When they get beaten, what beats them? It is absolutely clear what beats them – it’s sides who control the ball against the Bulldogs. Their inside 50 effectiveness drops from a win where it’s 49 per cent … to in a loss it’s 35 per cent. They are 14 per cent different if they are not allowed to play their own natural game.

“If they’re not allowed to play their natural game and the pressure comes back on them the other way, they fall apart.”

The Dogs have a quick turnaround before playing Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Monday night.
    Is this what constitutes a deep dive now does it?

Team is good when they show up and it's on their terms. Team not good when they don't and it's not.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is this what constitutes a deep dive now does it?

Team is good when they show up and it's on their terms. Team not good when they don't and it's not.
    I don’t believe it’s the team showing up or not.

The trouble is every time they have played they have the same game plan with the same key players.

Last year Cordy (one of my favourite players) was killed with bigger key forwards repeatedly kicking personal bests. So where is the only place we play him. On a big key forward. Which his talent is wasted. Sure we have seen him slide along the ground to touch the ball on the goal line , but the game plan is only generating half of what he is capable of.

Now we are seeing The Bont and English and Bruce go the same way.

Time to base the game plan on football theory and not business management feel good sessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, I was wondering why players arrive to training in smart casual and with their laptops.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is fine in the wet. He proved it last year.

The problem is when he doesn't feel like trying, which he also proved last year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes WBFC4FFC, azabob, Topdog liked this post