Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Bevo burning out?

This is not a slap at the coach but what is going on in Bevo's head? It's not the match selections I'm referring to it's a lack of a realistic game plan. Expecting a young list to attack the game in a highly physical and mental way with a high press thrown in against older, more experienced teams is a ridiculously over optimistic game plan. It's just not sustainable. It's was worked out well before the Port Adelaide game this pre-season teams were exploiting our press in 2017 and scoring against us heavily on the turnover and from stoppages. So what's changed since then? Nothing. Why?

I love Bevo I will be forever indebted to him but we need an influx of new ideas badly. He needs support. I've always said Bevo is not a career coach he cares too deeply and he'll burn out so he has to stop micro-managing every single facet and start leaning on others more for support. His recent article and watching him with his head in his hands after the Richmond game tells me Bevo is burning out, if he hasn't already.

Think we need an assistant coach clean out, like, most of them. What do you reckon?

Apologies if something like this has gone up I haven't logged on for a few days.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Bevo burning out?

On the weeks when we lose yes, on the weeks we don't, no.

Seriously though are we willing to admit that we are a developing side? If so, what style of game should a developing side be taught to play? Is teaching them a style that requires mental fortitude and intensity a bad thing? Not sure, it seemed to be a decent development path throughout the Bmac to Bevo transition and played a massive part in us winning a flag - albeit we had some more senior heads in the team at the time.

I think we're a team that struggles really badly when we don't show up mentally, I also think we're struggling because we're immature and have two new KPPs trying to fit into the side, an inconsistent and developing ruck, some key players out of the side and an unbalanced forward line.

Bevo could be burned out, but I think our issues stem from having too many similar types running through the middle and forward, no small to medium high quality forwards, and a team that is either too difficult to switch on week in week out or can't motivate itself to show up consistently like the good teams can.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Think we need an assistant coach clean out, like, most of them. What do you reckon?
    I don't think we need a clean-out.

I suspect the current assistants would say there are things they would like to do if they were given the latitude to do so (within the confines of the overall plan of course). Whilst you would have thought the hub-life would have helped creating a bit more coaching innovation, it doesn't really seem to have...

As for 'expecting a young list....' - well, I would have said we had significantly more experience on the park than Richmond the other night and I'm not sure you could call whatever it was we were doing a 'high press'...maybe a 'big cushion' would be a better description?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, didn't really answer the question. I saw a coach entirely frustrated and angry after the game last week. Not sure if that's with himself or with the players and the other coaches. It's too hard to tell.

The recurring themes are troubling, but to mine a lot of them involve what's going on between the players ears.

Post Thanks / Like

But why are we sticking to this game plan? Good teams have it sussed and good teams are adaptable. We simply aren't not at the macro i.e. the game plan or the micro i.e. game day tactics. Sure we've got a lot of players with similar skill sets but why haven't we developed something else to compliment those? It seems like we are sticking with this until we get it right but teams are all over us now. In a big way. We get smashed. We can't wait until our young team 'gets it'. It will be too late.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But why are we sticking to this game plan? Good teams have it sussed and good teams are adaptable. We simply aren't not at the macro i.e. the game plan or the micro i.e. game day tactics. Sure we've got a lot of players with similar skill sets but why haven't we developed something else to compliment those? It seems like we are sticking with this until we get it right but teams are all over us now. In a big way. We get smashed. We can't wait until our young team 'gets it'. It will be too late.
    I don't know what other type of style we should be playing though. If we're vanilla and lacking in some key areas should we just park the bus?

Does that teach the players anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't know what other type of style we should be playing though. If we're vanilla and lacking in some key areas should we just park the bus?

Does that teach the players anything?
    When the opposition is chipping the ball around we still defend grass 20 metres away. They take the ball to an unmanned runner who goes deep into their forward line. I have not seen a game where we have made a move to block the flow when the other team is establishing momentum.

When we set up for short handballs and the opposition corrals us into causing turnovers we handball more, not less. So the opposition sets receivers with a second player waiting to mark 35 metres away. Richmond did this repeatedly and we didn’t change our game in any way.

We are the most inflexible team in the competition. Smart opponents capitalise on this. At selection They know we have the same players doing the same thing in the same place.

Who will be our only overhead marking forward? So put 2 defenders on him. That’s why the Dogs have only kicked more than 8 goals twice this year.

Who will be our undersized key position backman? Put a strong tall on him. The response will be attempted spoils so have 2 small players at ground level. That’s why teams that beat us double our score.

So predictable.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know all this and I suspect the coaching staff do as well. That may be a bit of a signal as to why there seems to be a huge amount of frustration in the box right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta be honest every coach looks exasperated when playing badly
    Don’t think he’s On his pat malone there
    I think every team in this comp had their “one wood” game style and every other side knows each other’s weaknesses.
    Lot of this is above the shoulders and the whole we have to be 100% intensity to win is applicable to every side in this competition

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every team's game style is sussed out.
    Its just a matter of whether you can trust your team to wrest ascendancy from the other and be able to impose your strengths over theirs.

The question I think needs to be asked is: Is our inability to consistently control a game on our terms an execution issue or a willingness. And within that question are two more; is it a lack of willingess to execute, or a lack of capability to execute?

And from there further a question, is the lack of willingness/capability a permanent issue with our personnel or a learning process we've got to go through?

I know Mike said Richmond were more inexperienced than us, but they do have a key core of experienced heads still at top of their game.
    We don't have very many of those. And its exacerbated by our 1 elite gamebreaker in Bont, for whatever reason, not being able to impose himself.

I think we've still not explicitly acknowledged we are in that awkward transition phase. Maybe that's why we've played so many debutants this year? To try and see who the next crew that are willing and capable of executing our game going forward.

16. Likes jeemak, soupman, azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Bevo is burning out but it going through a tough patch and not coming up with the answers
    The balance of the season is a great test for him and the players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be the lack of runners so the message can't be reinforced as quickly as it could in the past.
    With a lack of experienced leaders on the park could the players react slower or not at all when the shit starts to hit the fan and just end up chasing backsides all night.
    They mike players up in games maybe we need halve a dozen of our most senior players miked up with direct contact with the coaching box.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Its just a matter of whether you can trust your team to wrest ascendancy from the other and be able to impose your strengths over theirs.

The question I think needs to be asked is: Is our inability to consistently control a game on our terms an execution issue or a willingness. And within that question are two more; is it a lack of willingess to execute, or a lack of capability to execute?

And from there further a question, is the lack of willingness/capability a permanent issue with our personnel or a learning process we've got to go through?

I know Mike said Richmond were more inexperienced than us, but they do have a key core of experienced heads still at top of their game.
    We don't have very many of those. And its exacerbated by our 1 elite gamebreaker in Bont, for whatever reason, not being able to impose himself.

I think we've still not explicitly acknowledged we are in that awkward transition phase. Maybe that's why we've played so many debutants this year? To try and see who the next crew that are willing and capable of executing our game going forward.
    Yes but ours is such high risk. Are the benefits worth it? If we're off we're taken to the cleaners. Am I being glass half empty? I dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

Good post, well articulated.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but ours is such high risk. Are the benefits worth it? If we're off we're taken to the cleaners. Am I being glass half empty? I dunno.
    Us being off usually involves two key aspects. A lack of intent, and disorganisation within or an overly aggressive press/ poorly spread defence. Put those two things together and it gets ugly quickly.

Are these two things really something that we can fix with the right players with the right mentality?