Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
David Darcy was a fine full back. John Schultz made the point yesterday that given his fine kicking it was easy to position yourself for his kick outs. I had only recently spoken to David at his home in Byron Bay where he was living with Luke's brother Mark.
They had appointed a General Manager to conduct the family's hotels in Melbourne. It was a tough week for the Club, as fellow back man John Bradbury's funeral was held just on Friday with John's eulogy been given by fellow player and close friend Ray Baxter.
Our thoughts and condolences are extended to both the Darcy and Bradbury families.
Very sad news all round. I remember going to see a match at Princes Park in the very late 50s or early 60s. It was a glorious sun filled day with not a breath of wind. Ray Baxter was playing too. In the press report in the Herald or Sporting Globe that evening the reporter made much of the highlight of the match: "the magnificent exhibition of drop kicking provided by the opposing full backs, Peter Barry and John Bradbury." And he was not exaggerating. I still remember the red Sherrin turning end-over-end against the blue sky backdrop. Vale John and David.