Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RIP David Darcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    David Darcy was a fine full back. John Schultz made the point yesterday that given his fine kicking it was easy to position yourself for his kick outs. I had only recently spoken to David at his home in Byron Bay where he was living with Luke's brother Mark.
    They had appointed a General Manager to conduct the family's hotels in Melbourne. It was a tough week for the Club, as fellow back man John Bradbury's funeral was held just on Friday with John's eulogy been given by fellow player and close friend Ray Baxter.
    Our thoughts and condolences are extended to both the Darcy and Bradbury families.
    Very sad news all round. I remember going to see a match at Princes Park in the very late 50s or early 60s. It was a glorious sun filled day with not a breath of wind. Ray Baxter was playing too. In the press report in the Herald or Sporting Globe that evening the reporter made much of the highlight of the match: "the magnificent exhibition of drop kicking provided by the opposing full backs, Peter Barry and John Bradbury." And he was not exaggerating. I still remember the red Sherrin turning end-over-end against the blue sky backdrop. Vale John and David.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Former Bulldogs player David Darcy passes away

The football community is mourning the passing of former Western Bulldogs player David Darcy.

Darcy, the father of broadcaster and former Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy, died on Saturday aged 76.

Darcy was due to call Saturday night’s West Coast v Geelong match and was replaced by Hamish McLachlan following the sad news.

David Darcy played 133 games and kicked 47 goals for Footscray, in two stints, from 1963-66, and from 1968-71.

He represented Victoria four times, and also spent four seasons with South Adelaide in the SANFL, including two years as captain-coach.

Luke was recruited to the Bulldogs under the father-son rule in the 1992 AFL Draft.

Luke, who also hosts Triple M’s Hot Breakfast alongside Eddie McGuire, went on to have a 14-year career at the Bulldogs, and is now a Director at the club.

David Darcy and wife Janet have four children, Luke, Matthew, Kim and Alysha.

They grew up in the South Australian desert town of Roxby Downs where David and Janet operated a pub. The children have also gone on to run a successful pub and hospitality group.

Darcy’s fellow commentator James Brayshaw said he recalled Darcy telling him he’d won the lottery with his Dad.

In a Father’s Day question and answer on aflplayers.com.au last year, Luke, himself a father of four, spoke of the close bond he shared with his Dad.

“I wouldn’t say I go to my Dad for advice, but I think about him all the time. ... I’d describe him as the least over the top parent that I think I’ve ever met. He had lots of stuff he could have passed on, but he doesn’t overburden you with his thoughts, but he’s always there, always asking questions and interested in you, but never judgmental on anything you do. I’m probably scarily like him in many ways, drafted father-son, commentated football, etc. It’s amazing how similar our lives have been so far.”

3. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watching Dogs vs Port.... where are the black arm bands??

Seems a disappointing oversight.

5. Likes Prince Imperial, Eastdog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just watching Dogs vs Port.... where are the black arm bands??

Seems a disappointing oversight.
    Yeah I was thinking that we would have had them on tonight.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo in his presser said probably next game they'll wear the black arm bands to pay tribute.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

8. Thanks Webby thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...ng-david-darcy

Remembering David Darcy
    Footscray-Western Bulldogs Hall of Fame Legend John Schultz reflects on the career of his former teammate David Darcy.
    By Andrew Gigacz

David Darcy, who passed away at age 76 on the weekend, was always a sporting natural.

More than a year before he played his first game of football for the Bulldogs, he was making news on the cricket field, with The Age of December 14, 1961 reporting that Darcy had taken 6/36 for sub-district team Sunshine, having earlier made 21 with the bat.

As a star footballer with Sunshine YCW in the Footscray District Football League, Darcy came under the notice of Footscray talent scouts, and he made his senior debut in the opening round of the 1963 season, named at centre half-forward.

The Dogs went down to North Melbourne that day, but the following week they recorded a big win over Fitzroy, with the 19-year-old Darcy kicking a game high three goals. From there he became a permanent team member, giving the Bulldogs good service in the forward line.

As good as he had been in the forward line, David Darcy really blossomed when captain-coach Ted Whitten switched him to full back. He took to the key defensive post like a duck to water.

1960 Brownlow Medallist John Schultz, a teammate in Darcy's first five seasons, described the defender as very relaxed, almost lackadaisical in his approach to the full back role.

Ruckman Schultz, who saw Darcy at close quarters often when resting in the back pocket, marvelled at his ability to read the play.

"He would stand 10 or 15 yards in front of the full forward, whereas most defenders in those days liked to have 'touch' with their opponent,” he said.

Darcy's strengths didn't lie simply in stopping big forwards, says Schultz.

"He was very skilful, and he had a beautiful drop kick. When he kicked out, I would place myself at half back and run towards the boundary line. David's kicks would arrive at the designated spot the very moment I did."

The two played state football for Victoria together, an experience Schultz enjoyed immensely.

Asked about son Luke Darcy's recent revelations of his father getting his hair shampooed at half time, Schultz said, "Well I can't confirm if shampoo was involved but Alan Jackson, one of the club volunteers would spray our hair with water when we came in at half time. It helped to refresh us."

Outside of football, David Darcy was a very good golfer and an astute businessman, said Schultz. It was business that took Darcy to South Australia in 1967, and again in 1972, curtailing his playing days at Footscray. During his time in Adelaide, Darcy played for and captain-coached South Adelaide in the SANFL.

Darcy played 133 games and kicked 47 goals for Footscray from 1963 to 1966 and from 1968 to 1971. He also played 44 games for South Adelaide, hanging up the boots in 1973.

The Darcy legacy at Whitten Oval was further enhanced with son Luke Darcy's fine 226-game career for the Bulldogs, which took in a best and fairest award, a leading goalkicker trophy and the captaincy.

The club extends its condolences and deepest sympathy to the family and friends of David Darcy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Eastie I am not sure this is relevant or adds value to the discussion.

I think this article needs to be removed.
    Yeah I think you are right Aza. It has been removed.

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a shame David can't be around to see his grand son debut.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Bulldog4life, azabob, MrMahatma, josie thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post