Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do we do about our forward Llne

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Our forward line. No wonder we can't kick goals.
    Yes. But do we bring this on ourselves? It’s just I see this every time we play but I don’t see it in every other game. There’s something we’re doing that brings this on. It’s probably our decision and a main reason as to why we get killed out the back once we don’t win the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

So Port have an extra one in there and we have Jack Macrae or Cordy I can't tell which sweating on the clearing kick on the outside. I understand the set up but geez we make hard work of it and we have been doing this for so long! Why are we so convinced this is the way forward?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yes. But do we bring this on ourselves? It’s just I see this every time we play but I don’t see it in every other game. There’s something we’re doing that brings this on. It’s probably our decision and a main reason as to why we get killed out the back once we don’t win the ball.
    Our crowding around the stoppage (sometimes +1 or +2) to allow quick handballs out and move the ball forward also lets us down especially when we do a hurried kick 15-20 it goes straight into the arms of the oppositions defense as they keep a one or two players back.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    So Port have an extra one in there and we have Jack Macrae or Cordy I can't tell which sweating on the clearing kick on the outside. I understand the set up but geez we make hard work of it and we have been doing this for so long! Why are we so convinced this is the way forward?
    Obviously its Cordy. Why would our ruckman be out of the contest waiting for the clearing kick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Our crowding around the stoppage (sometimes +1 or +2) to allow quick handballs out and move the ball forward also lets us down especially when we do a hurried kick 15-20 it goes straight into the arms of the oppositions defense as they keep a one or two players back.
    Are teams just accepting this knowing they'll hurt us on the rebound? I mean we shoot ourselves in the foot (or as another poster put it, in the head) more often than not so maybe teams are letting us outnumber the stoppages knowing they'll have an extra man back to chop of the eventual errant kick and, expecting this, their mids/wings/forwards start transitioning before us to get a jump start running forward into a paddock.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously its Cordy. Why would our ruckman be out of the contest waiting for the clearing kick?
    Yeah that's Cordy with Macrae in the ruck and Tim on the outside on the right lol
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Its too congested. we almost need to go 2 in the 50 and the rest out with our speedy runners Richards, Vanders etc running on to the ball.

If we are going to play the way we currently do then you need 2 talls - one to take pack marks and the other to lead. It eases congestion as the both run to different places
    We have the ideal leading key forward in Schache who when playing is clearly our best kick for goal. I also believe we could do worse than play Lew Young who was originally recruited as a key forward to be the other key forward. Young in the past has dominated in the ruck with Footscray and would be an ideal support to English. It was very strange to see our best mid fielder in Macrae on a number of occasions last night doing the ruck work. Give both Schache and Young 4-6 matches together. We couldn't do any worse.

s

9. Likes GVGjr, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's Cordy with Macrae in the ruck and Tim on the outside of the right lol
    Sorry I was being facetious with the fact that Macrae was playing ruck at throwins in the final quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Are teams just accepting this knowing they'll hurt us on the rebound? I mean we shoot ourselves in the foot (or as another poster put it, in the head) more often than not so maybe teams are letting us outnumber the stoppages knowing they'll have an extra man back to chop of the eventual errant kick and, expecting this, their mids/wings/forwards start transitioning before us to get a jump start running forward into a paddock.
    I believe so.

Pressure the bulldogs at the source and they will turn it over either by foot or by hand on the way out.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I was being facetious with the fact that Macrae was playing ruck at throwins in the final quarter.
    yeah I know I got it!

Post Thanks / Like

There was two minutes to go and we were desperate for a goal
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was two minutes to go and we were desperate for a goal
    Our forwardline was indeed congested, but that was particularly so as we were pressing hard and Port's players all headed down to try and stop us..I guess that's why Cordy and Crozier were there as well. In fact who wasn't??
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Smith and Richards missed one each in open play and McLean got his 2 so had they converted a different story but yes we need to ultimately create space in there as much as we can to free it up and give us an opportunity and getting more easier set shot opportunities.

Schache, Dickson are 2 great kicks at goal and you would want to get the ball in their hands but obviously have not been playing.

Also someone mentioned maybe a new forward line structure coach would be helpful in changing the structure up there. The forward line when we played North operates very well - need to try and replicate that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I know I got it!
    aha! Your edit was faster than my response!

Post Thanks / Like

Be awesome if all our forwards didn’t lead to the same spot when we have controlled entry and we didn’t send all players up.