Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  167
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Festival of Footy (Round 13-18)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    That's why they pay Jezza the big bucks.
    Seriously, Cameron just does not stand with the group of leading tall forwards such as Riewoldt, Lynch, Dixon, Kennedy, Hawkins or even Gunston.

Pea heart. Hope the Dees offer him a juicy contract.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Lonie a good tackle earlier and a nice crumbing goal. Doesn’t look as hopeless as claimed on here by some.
    GWS were completely non competitive. They played with no desire tonight. Those are the games where Lonie stands up.

Post Thanks / Like

After the GWS grand final catastrophe I remember reading a stat that for teams who get thrashed in a GF it’s pretty much the end of that groups aspirations. everyone still thought they’d contend again this year but there must be something about a capitulation on that stage that exposes pretensions and/or breaks spirits. Their run last year was compared to ours in 2016. Makes it even more epic what we did, going that extra step in a GF is something else altogether. Glad that as usual the franchise has proved to be a hollow vessel.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes Dry Rot, merantau, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    After the GWS grand final catastrophe I remember reading a stat that for teams who get thrashed in a GF it’s pretty much the end of that groups aspirations. everyone still thought they’d contend again this year but there must be something about a capitulation on that stage that exposes pretensions and/or breaks spirits. Their run last year was compared to ours in 2016. Makes it even more epic what we did, going that extra step in a GF is something else altogether. Glad that as usual the franchise has proved to be a hollow vessel.
    After we did them in the prelim I'd taken a different view with GWS, given they'd had heartbreak and they presented as a list of original players who had done it tough and journeymen who had bought in, to finally make a grand final. Dare I say it, irrespective of their roughhouse BS they almost seemed human and worthy of being called a club.

But then I read how they treat everyone on different levels in terms of pay and hierarchy and the cracks were immediately present. Their tough guy attitudes turn to shit when not everyone buys in, their ball movement turns to shit when not everyone buys in, their rampant attack on the ball turns to shit when not everyone buys in. It seems that over the last few years players at GWS have become sick of the churn and sick of some players taking the spoils and the rest fighting over the scraps. and with reaching the pinnacle and falling short those on the outside have nothing in the tank.

Leon Cameron isn't in control of this, but he can eat up his just desserts because he mollycoddled the BS culture that club has perpetuated and promoted over his tenure and there's no sympathy from me for him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes soupman, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of warmed to the idea of them experiencing some success once they went through some hardship. The lost prelim final to us, the missed chances in the following seasons, the big injury lists, losing good players, and getting annihilated in the grand final all suck as supporters but they mean you earn the wins when they come. At least now if they do become good and win the flag next year I feel like it is somewhat earned and wasn't just a straight ascendancy from formation to premiership, so I wouldn't resent them winning a premiership in 2021 like I would've in 2016 or even 2017. I think they are also building slowly off field and for the most part are doing things right.

The exception to that obviously is the players and playing culture. Wankers (Cameron, Finlayson) and bullies that like playing the victim (see Haynes and most particularly Greene), and leaders and off field group (coaches and such) that clearly encourage their behaviour, and continue to promote this culture of entitled brats that enjoy poking a kid in the eye then cry when they get in trouble for it. The list management strategy is part of that imo, so it is pleasant to watch them fail dismally and not even get a pick for it.

So yeah, I actually don't think the club is undeserving of success as such, if they can get a good group together and make their way to the top and win good on them, but the playing group and those associated atm are f*cked and I'm hoping for a fair few of them their careers don't amount to anything.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes jeemak, merantau, azabob, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ever wanted a definition of "Didn't fire a shot" just roll the tape of GWS in the 2nd half of the Round 18 v Saints, 2020.
    That was the most spiritless, lifeless, gormless performance I've seen from a team for many a year. I loved it.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want them to win a flag until they have been in the system for 50 years. By that time hopefully they have stood on their own two feet without being gifted players and taken enough hard knocks and set backs that they have earned the passage of right.
    Until that time they can get well and truly stuffed.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soupaman you can also add Phil Davis as a ‘victim’ and Mumford as a bully.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    That's why they pay Jezza the big bucks.
    If this Jezza is worth 1.5 million this season the real bonafide "Jezza" would be worth 10 million if he was playing today. This bloke isn't worthy to be called Jezza irrespective of his name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I don't want them to win a flag until they have been in the system for 50 years. By that time hopefully they have stood on their own two feet without being gifted players and taken enough hard knocks and set backs that they have earned the passage of right.
    Until that time they can get well and truly stuffed.
    Hear hear. Make that 63 years for mine. One year more than dogs took. Until all of Thug Greene and Cameron and Mummy retire and Cameron too for encouraging a faux tough guy/sniper culture I will continue to cheer for every loss they have. Starting to dislike Haynes too who although a v good player is starting to flop around for free kicks a lot - a characteristic that is not endearing. Their Daniel I do not mind - seems tough and gutsy. One of only a handful I do not mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Leon Cameron isn't in control of this, but he can eat up his just desserts because he mollycoddled the BS culture that club has perpetuated and promoted over his tenure and there's no sympathy from me for him.
    I blame one man for the culture at the club and that is Sheedy. Leon didn't help change it at all, or couldn't change it. Sheedy's bullshit tough guy image belongs in the 1970s and 80s. He was the wrong person to kick off the club.

I also read somewhere about an ex player describing the club from his time there. He said there was alot of talent at the club but they didn't play as a team, but rather as individuals. This is one of the roles of coaching, to get the players to be a team. The old adage of a team of champions versus a champion team - we know who wins.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Bulldog Joe, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I blame one man for the culture at the club and that is Sheedy. Leon didn't help change it at all, or couldn't change it. Sheedy's bullshit tough guy image belongs in the 1970s and 80s. He was the wrong person to kick off the club.

I also read somewhere about an ex player describing the club from his time there. He said there was alot of talent at the club but they didn't play as a team, but rather as individuals. This is one of the roles of coaching, to get the players to be a team. The old adage of a team of champions versus a champion team - we know who wins.
    It was Brett Deledio.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stat, we may be the same:

STK only played 5 games vs sides that were sitting inside the eight in 2020

1-4 vs sides sitting inside the eight

9-2 vs sides sitting outside the eight
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Interesting stat, we may be the same:
    Yes I think this year the top 5 are a clear cut above the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

You’d think the saints had made the grand final the way they’re carrying on