Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  149
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R13 2020

We were just so much better collectively without the ball today pressure across the board so much more consistent.

Love playing during the day, without the dew city conditions at night, it suits our game plan.

Mitch Wallis has finally accepted he is now a forward and isn't it showing. Well done Mitch thats what you call leadership mate.

Bailey Williams still the player of the year for mine, been so consistent, he has time with the footy, generally makes the right decision and has real penetration in his kicking.

The exciting thing is that, we have plenty of room for improvement, Bevo let's continue to build with a similar side for the rest of the year and go into round 1 next year using this foundation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Well I’ll start with the positive. The passage of scoring play in this game went against the grain of all our games this season. We, for once, were able to put this game away with 15 minutes of dominance. That’s a good sign that we were able to score freely. Usually we’re dominating possession and inside 50s for no result only for it to turn the other way for 10 minutes and the games gone.

The negative was our last quarter. Right from the start we looked to be going into defence only which was too early. Fortunately for us if there is one side worse than us at butchering The ball and making poor decisions, it’s Melbourne. They dominated us in the last bit just stuffed up countless times that we got away with a severe lack of intensity. We might have lifted if it got close but I was disappointed with that last quarter.

On the whole we got a deserved win. Small improvements but still a lot to work on. I think we’ve got the right tools we just need to sharpen up (no pun intended) sooner rather than later.
    Couldn't agree more about the last quarter, thought the cue was put in the rack a little and we were let off the hook when a better team would have challenged us more thoroughly.

This team frustrates me and I'm sure they'd frustrate the coaching team as well because the down times in games are so often caused by lapses in intensity. It takes courage to keep taking it to the opposition and run hard both ways, going into a defencive mindset is the easier thing to do.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...over-melbourne

Bulldogs box on with crucial win over Melbourne
    The Bulldogs have jumped into the top-eight on the back of a 28-point victory over Melbourne at Metricon Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge used a 1950s boxing match to inspire his troops in a crucial Sir Doug Nicholls Round clash with Melbourne on Saturday.

Despite taking some blows late in the second term, the Bulldogs counter-punched with a brutal burst of attacking football in the third quarter to set up a 28-point victory at Metricon Stadium.

The Dogs kicked six goals from 10 inside 50s in the pivotal third quarter, keeping the Demons goalless, after trailing by seven points at half time.

Mitch Wallis kicked a career-high four goals (taking his season tally to 20), benefiting from another strong performance from the midfield group.

Captain Marcus Bontempelli was a star performer again with 22 touches (16 contested), a goal and five tackles, while Bailey Smith’s enormous season continued with 26 disposals and a goal.

Dashing defenders Jason Johannisen (21 possessions at 90% efficiency), Bailey Williams (19 disposals) and Caleb Daniel had a big say in the outcome, particularly in the defining third quarter.

The win was the Bulldogs’ second in a row, and seventh win of the year, ahead of a season-defining fortnight of games against Geelong and West Coast.

The Bulldogs started the game brightly and could have built a strong early lead if they capitalised on their inside 50 dominance in the first term (13-5).

The Demons were efficient when they went forward, as the teams went goal-for-goal in the second term, but the Dogs conceded the last two goals of the second quarter to trail by seven points at the long break as Melbourne got on top.

Bulldogs’ forward Josh Bruce was switched into the ruck during the second half and Tim English pushed forward, and English booted one of his team’s six majors from a strong contested mark as they surged to a match-winning lead.

Wallis’ fourth six-pointer, a brilliant mark and goal as Melbourne was mounting a charge in the fourth quarter, eased the nerves of Dogs’ fans as their team marched to victory.

MATCH DETAILS

Western Bulldogs 2.4 4.4 10.5 12.8 (80)

Melbourne 1.3 5.5 5.8 7.10 (52)

GOALS

Western Bulldogs: Wallis 4, McLean, Vandermeer, Liberatore, Bontempelli, Smith, Williams, English, Cavarra

Melbourne: Weideman 2, Melksham, Oliver, Fritsch, McDonald, Spargo

BEST
    Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Smith, Wallis, Macrae, Hunter

Melbourne: May, Viney, Petracca, Weideman

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Enjoy every km, were you the only Woofer there today?
    I was there. Been to all the GC and the Gabba match this year. Best footy viewing year (by volume) I’ve had.

Post Thanks / Like

Credit to Bevo for revamping things after half time. We had a great 3rd quarter and it set up a comfortable win
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Credit to Bevo for revamping things after half time. We had a great 3rd quarter and it set up a comfortable win
    Not cooked yet
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes azabob, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Disagree to a point. Yes, if a player is 80 metres out it is time wasting. However, if a player is 60 mts out do we leave it up to the umpire to decide that player X is incapable of pulling a 65mt barrel out of his arse? That's a very difficult position to put an umpire in.
    Can you imagine it?

Umpire: "TIME..unrealistic"

Player: "What? ! I can kick it."

Umpire: "No chance mate. You've never kicked over 50 in your life. You and I both know you're not up to it. And don't get me started on the last kick you butchered.."

Player: "WTF?"

Umpire: "Fifty..."

10. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good result and some promising signs.

1. For the 1st time in quite a while, it wasn't clear to me in the first 10 minutes or so what sort of team had presented for duty. Which was a good thing, I think because it probably meant we had a mixed bag against some decent opposition. What I observed was a team deal with a deadlock and wrestle a few small momentum swings back in our favour. We haven't really done that for a while.

2. It looked like we would struggle to get enough contributors and s oreboard pressure, but most in the squad got busy at some point, including a few who needed to step up getting involved after half time.

3 Laitham ran with some real aggressive intent, to mixed results, but in doing so added a dimension to our game that is exciting and difficult to deal with. Kept going all day too, which was brave for a young bloke.

4 Coaches made adjustments at half time. We got the response required from players who weren't getting near it. A relief to see a tangible change in how we went about it and who went where.
    Last edited by SonofScray; 22-08-2020 at 08:12 PM.

12. Likes jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not cooked yet
    Have I ever said or implied that?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the quality of the win is being underrated. We were much more physical and our intent and attack were always strong. We were clearly the best team in the first quarter in tricky conditions. The second qtr was an arm wrestle, they lifted, we didn’t though have that lapse of concentration that has been a problem. I wasn’t hopeful in the third qtr but I loved watching the number of 50/50 contests where in tight we got it out and then there were some great passages where we linked up where we for once made the most of our dominance. We are shaky with marking forwards but I’d like to know how many times when it hit the deck, we moved it out slickly under great pressure. I’d have liked to see us canter away but even a noted panic merchant such as myself never really felt we’d lose.

There are great contributions on this site but I felt recently the negativity was overwhelming. We played well in a crunch game, Bevo coached well, and just for today I’m celebrating some really great signs for us now and even more for us being a real threat in 2021.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Good post TBT. You are a great contributor to Woof. Yeah we can be negative on here at times but I’d say it is because we just love the Bulldogs so much
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Have I ever said or implied that?
    No, sorry you thought it was directed at you. It was made in jest
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No, sorry you thought it was directed at you. It was made in jest
    You are such an agitator and you need to pull your head in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I think the quality of the win is being underrated. We were much more physical and our intent and attack were always strong. We were clearly the best team in the first quarter in tricky conditions. The second qtr was an arm wrestle, they lifted, we didn’t though have that lapse of concentration that has been a problem. I wasn’t hopeful in the third qtr but I loved watching the number of 50/50 contests where in tight we got it out and then there were some great passages where we linked up where we for once made the most of our dominance. We are shaky with marking forwards but I’d like to know how many times when it hit the deck, we moved it out slickly under great pressure. I’d have liked to see us canter away but even a noted panic merchant such as myself never really felt we’d lose.

There are great contributions on this site but I felt recently the negativity was overwhelming. We played well in a crunch game, Bevo coached well, and just for today I’m celebrating some really great signs for us now and even more for us being a real threat in 2021.
    Well said.
    If Bailey Williams' form holds is he a a sneaky for at least the AA squad?

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, I'm 7 minutes in to watching the game.. now i understand how woeful the commentary is. Gary Lyon, what a bell end.

20. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post