Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  149
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R13 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Williams could have easily been in the votes but I wouldn't say he was clearly better than anybody else there - they are all worthy.

I'm not sure why but I tend to view Williams a little more critically than most others seem to. I'm always surprised by his disposal efficiency at the end of the game being quite high because I tend to notice him kicking directly to the opposition most weeks. At least 3 times on Saturday Melbourne marked his kicks. Admittedly they are usually long kicks so not especially damaging to us. He is also a terrible one on one defender. He has an unacceptably high loss rate which he really needs to improve.

Don't get me wrong though - I think he has improved out of sight and played another good game on Saturday. The AA call I saw on here is a little premature though.
    But you're looking at it the wrong way. He's not there for his hard defensive work, agreed he's not the greatest at ground level one on ones, but he is solid in the air imo, anyway, he has other defenders to cover for him in this way (Wood / Crozier). His gig is to provide rebound out of D50 because that is where we scored the heaviest. So no, he's not in AA calculations due to his ability to defend, he's in AA calculations because he's top 10 in the league for metres gained overall, metres gained per game (I know he kicks long), but he's also top 3 for rebound 50s which means he's a critical component for the way we score.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?

I mustn't watch him too closely as I think he defends pretty well and think he's often beaten in 1 on 1 contests due to a miss-match in opponents rather than poor technique, but if you say so.
    Yeah it's not like he's noticeably getting monstered by his direct opponent week after week. I just had a quick look at the stats and all of the leaders in one on one defensive losses are pretty much also all the best intercept defenders, which is what Williams is developing into nicely.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?

I mustn't watch him too closely as I think he defends pretty well and think he's often beaten in 1 on 1 contests due to a miss-match in opponents rather than poor technique, but if you say so.
    He's got one of the worst 1 on 1 loss rates in the league. Can't always be due to mismatches.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    But you're looking at it the wrong way. He's not there for his hard defensive work, agreed he's not the greatest at ground level one on ones, but he is solid in the air imo, anyway, he has other defenders to cover for him in this way (Wood / Crozier). His gig is to provide rebound out of D50 because that is where we scored the heaviest. So no, he's not in AA calculations due to his ability to defend, he's in AA calculations because he's top 10 in the league for metres gained overall, metres gained per game (I know he kicks long), but he's also top 3 for rebound 50s which means he's a critical component for the way we score.
    I think he's great in the air taking an intercept mark, not so much when he has to spoil. You make it sound like I was saying he's no good, I did the opposite, I think he's been great but he still has some room for improvement. I don't expect him to be Dale Morris on defence but I do expect him to pull his weight. Caleb Daniel is a competent defender, that's all Bailey needs to be. He doesn't get a free pass just be because he provides us drive off half back.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree BAD. We are all guilty of criticizing the club on their lack of vision of scratch matches etc but this type of stuff is really really good.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...aways-round-13

Key Takeaways: Round 13
    The key talking points from our 28-point win over Melbourne on Saturday.

1. Dogs find new gear

How about that third quarter?

The roles were reversed in the scheme of the Bulldogs’ season on Saturday afternoon.

At times, it’s been a one-quarter lapse that has cost them – think the Richmond, Port Adelaide and Brisbane Lions games.

But this time, against another finals contender in Melbourne, it was the Bulldogs who found that spark.

A six-goal-to-nil burst after half-time was the catalyst for an impressive win, led by none other than skipper Marcus Bontempelli.

2. Devastating dee-fensive transition

The Bulldogs’ back line has the capability to turn defence to attack in a matter of seconds.

And that’s exactly what they did, on multiple occasions, against the Dees.

The return of Jason Johannisen and Hayden Crozier offered the Bulldogs even more attacking power off half-back, alongside Caleb Daniel and Bailey Williams.

You could make a case for it being Johannisen’s most impactful game of 2020, with 21 disposals and some sizzling, line-breaking runs.

Bailey Williams continued his breakthrough season, generating almost 600 metres gained from 19 disposals, while Daniel’s precision passing and Crozier’s intercepting and rebound were also important.

3. Where there’s a Wall, there’s a way

With every week of 2020, Mitch Wallis the forward has gained more fans.

This time, he produced a career-best four goals to help lead the Bulldogs to victory – and with his daughter Charlotte in the stands for the first time.

Wallis has been one of the side’s most consistent players this year and leads the goal-kicking tally with 20 majors from 13 games.

The way he has settled into his new role has been outstanding.

His strength in the contest as a midfielder has transitioned to his forward play, and he sure knows how to make the most of his opportunities around the big sticks.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"