Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  68
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking teams is really hard.

I generally don't care too much about selections as the people on the panel will have a better insight into how a player is going or who is needed to for fill the game plan the coaches want to implement.
    I can't think on how hard it would be. I did a couple of years coaching under 12 and 14's and I struggled rotating players of the bench to give them a game so I god knows how hard their job is at least they don't have parents yelling in their ear to give little Johnny a go.
    Anyway the match selection thread wouldn't be that long if so people weren't so passionate about who plays.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I generally don't care too much about selections as the people on the panel will have a better insight into how a player is going or who is needed to for fill the game plan the coaches want to implement.
    I can't think on how hard it would be. I did a couple of years coaching under 12 and 14's and I struggled rotating players of the bench to give them a game so I god knows how hard their job is at least they don't have parents yelling in their ear to give little Johnny a go.
    Anyway the match selection thread wouldn't be that long if so people weren't so passionate about who plays.
    Believe me the coaches do have parents yelling in their ear to give them a go. I know for a fact a couple of fathers of sons have questioned the coach over the years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

To supporters, our MC seems to sketch the shape of an oval on the table and throw the names in the air at the end of a hard drinking session. Week after week their selections are hard to fathom.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say I disagree with the thrust of the message. If we can't discuss why certain players are being picked because we aren't privvy to inside intel then why bother discussing anything? Why even bother having the forum?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Gotta say I disagree with the thrust of the message. If we can't discuss why certain players are being picked because we aren't privvy to inside intel then why bother discussing anything? Why even bother having the forum?
    I think it is great to discuss why players are being picked or not, as long as people don't make things up.

This year is really hard as in previous years we have had the form of the VFL to put forward our argument.

I find it difficult this year to argue about players picked but what I have worked out is the MC seems to have slotted players into a competition with each other for a specific role. eg Wood goes out in comes Butler, Wood in Butler then out. Dale out, Gowers comes in and vice a versa.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t agree more. The last few weeks has taken a weird turn.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the opening post is excellent as it talks through the challenges of selections each week and you can either accept that point of view or challenge it. I've gained an added appreciation.
    For some others though there seems to be an effort to control what should or shouldn't be commented on which defeats the point of a discussion forum like WOOF

From my perspective, please keep posting away as you have done for years. Nothing has changed
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes jazzadogs, Topdog, soupman, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that people go overboard because they have the players that they dislike. Gardner is one of those.

It will take a big effort to be worse than R Smith last week.

Appreciate the insight from mjp but certainly agree it's good to discuss and debate why x is in the side instead of y. That's part of why footy is great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I feel that people go overboard because they have the players that they dislike. Gardner is one of those.

It will take a big effort to be worse than R Smith last week.
    I think Gardner has made that big effort!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I think Gardner has made that big effort!
    Haha i was going to make that comment too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Haha i was going to make that comment too
    To be fair, apart from conceding 5 goals to his direct opponent, he did ok.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    To be fair, apart from conceding 5 goals to his direct opponent, he did ok.
    Wasn't just the 5, it was the way it was gifted. 4 free kicks all for the same thing, ie holding on to his jumper

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most frustrating thing for me regarding selection is the fact that this is a compromised year, with a lot of small breaks between games. If we ever had the chance to see players rotated through like LEW Young, Trengove, Greene, Hayes, Cavarra, Lynch etc, it would be now. The fact that all these guys have hardly got a look in, is rather concerning for mine.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I think the most frustrating thing for me regarding selection is the fact that this is a compromised year, with a lot of small breaks between games. If we ever had the chance to see players rotated through like LEW Young, Trengove, Greene, Hayes, Cavarra, Lynch etc, it would be now. The fact that all these guys have hardly got a look in, is rather concerning for mine.
    Maybe those players aren't up to it?

I think Cavarra may come in next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Believe me the coaches do have parents yelling in their ear to give them a go. I know for a fact a couple of fathers of sons have questioned the coach over the years.
    Josh Hill's dad was quite vocal and is made the papers a number of times.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes bornadog liked this post