Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  68
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking teams is really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Now - maybe the #1 option should be Le Young - like everyone else I would have thought he would be an established player by now - but for whatever reason (ands we would all love the answer) he isn't. Why can't we get this info? What has he done wrong? Will we ever know??
    Very disappointed in the club not giving us progress reports on players not in the senior team. Last year we had a write up each week on the performance of players, but this year we get a short write up of 3 or 4 players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the coach is placing a premium on that the defenders need to have some pace. It's the most likely reason why Trengove hasn't been in the mix this season and almost certainly the reason why Roberts wasn't used much in his last season with us
    I would have said pace and the ability to kick the ball, but Sid was a very good kick even if his decision making was sometimes a little slow.

On Gardner, I think he will continue to frustrate. He has the physical attributes and by all accounts works really hard off field, but he's just lacking 'something', the ability to instinctively make position and hold his temperament. That's something that may come in time, but ideally that's something that he would work on at VFL level while better options get their chance at senior level.

The opaque nature of the selection process doesn't help though. With Croizier out, who intercepts? If Gardner was earmarked as a KPD in Crozier's absence and Wood gets the job on Cameron, we've taken our two medium interceptors out of our normal set up. That's actually a very big change to our 2020 back 6 and that sort of week to week change is what seem to rile fans the most.

If our Pan A is to generate scoring chains from the back half but we've taken away our best avenues to win the ball back off the opposition in the back half, that just seems completely nonsensical to the outside observer. It's no wonder our fans are confused.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes 1eyedog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Gardner was picked to play on Hipwood. OK. Why? I think that is the debate I would love to have because the 'Gardner is no good and everyone who selected him is a goose' response. Ultimately I suppose people will do what they want - I just get bummed out by the "he's rubbish - everyone is an idiot" responses because it leaves no room to respond or debate.
    From all that we can gather Garnder is favoured because of his work ethic on the track and his theoretical attributes. That's a nice idea but really can't be all there is to it. Actual in-game performance has to be criteria number one, and if the only form we're willing to go off is sixteen-a-side scratch matches where players are swapping jumpers then we aren't considering selection from all angles.

In our situation where no one has nailed down a spot and there is no one (the club's opinion not mine) who is head and shoulders above their contemporaries talent-wise then everyone (within reason) should be given an opportunity to play a position. Improving your form at a higher level is a full on thing and is a big part of why it's so frustrating the same guys seem to be tried over and over.

Regarding his selection to play on Hipwood - it's fine in theory because that's the exact sort of player he would be on the list to play on. He got handily beat and gave away some panicked free kicks, and that's frustrating but fine. The real frustration is if we were to look at that performance, take seemingly nothing from it, say "hey you'll get em next time" and just keep persisting with it. If it's a developmentally-minded selection then we should be looking to get the games into 18-months-younger, possibly AFL quality Lewis Young. If it's a win-now move then we should be trialling our other options.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

This just tells me we need an agile, athletic 200cm full back, someone like Darcy at Collingwood. We have noi one to play against Dixon, Lynch, Hipwood types.

Start recruiting boys.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This just tells me we need an agile, athletic 200cm full back, someone like Darcy at Collingwood. We have noi one to play against Dixon, Lynch, Hipwood types.

Start recruiting boys.
    The 200cm Roughead has done a good job for Collingwood in the back line as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I still really struggle with his departure.
    How do we arrive at a acenario where a premierahip player, who grew up supporting our club is so disenfranchised that he considered retiring.
    For me his departure raises some interesting questions.
    His playing role is exactly the thing we are missing.

8. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    How do we arrive at a acenario where a premierahip player, who grew up supporting our club is so disenfranchised that he considered retiring.
    Seems he's happier playing as a key defender, and given we've let go Roberts and shunned Trengove, we were *never* going to play Jordan in that part of the ground with his physical attributes.

Never

The full forward thing late in his Dogs career was strange to say the least.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's an interesting one isn't it? I mean, most of us weren't overly upset when Roughy left. He hadn't been playing well. But when you see what he's been doing at Collingwood you start to wonder why. Why is he performing for them, in a role we so desperately needed coverage in? Why didn't we play him at FB? It's not like he hadn't before. Then all the same development questions reappear.

Post Thanks / Like

He is very slow I am afraid, but could have been a filler till we developed the right bloke.

I am still hopeful Young can do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

B-Mac was heavily criticized for playing him as a defender, Bucks is seen as pulling off a good strategic move

Does he cover the ground any better than Trengove? I wouldn't suggest so but he has been effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought he was poor for us as a defender and always worried when he was selected there.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah it's an interesting one isn't it? I mean, most of us weren't overly upset when Roughy left. He hadn't been playing well. But when you see what he's been doing at Collingwood you start to wonder why. Why is he performing for them, in a role we so desperately needed coverage in? Why didn't we play him at FB? It's not like he hadn't before. Then all the same development questions reappear.
    I think there was a few of saying we should keep him because we had some holes in the back line and not much depth in the ruck
    I get why we let him go but when you read that we need a 200cm defender and know that Roughie is going OK at the Pies it does make you wonder

Wood is getting some slaps on the back for a good game in nullifying Cameron, Roughie is seen a slow even if he nullifies an opponent

16. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B-Mac was heavily criticized for playing him as a defender, Bucks is seen as pulling off a good strategic move

Does he cover the ground any better than Trengove? I wouldn't suggest so but he has been effective.
    That's a good point. I doubt he covers the ground any better than Trengove. He has a better reach but perhaps its the Collingwood defence setup that helps Roughy get away with his limitations. Since Howe has been out (a huge part of their setup) Roughy has suffered somewhat. In any case he would be good backup for us but with our reluctance to play Trengove, he probably wouldn't be getting a game and perhaps that's why he chose to leave.

By the way, when did we recruit Trengove? Was it after Roghy left?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That's a good point. I doubt he covers the ground any better than Trengove. He has a better reach but perhaps its the Collingwood defence setup that helps Roughy get away with his limitations. Since Howe has been out (a huge part of their setup) Roughy has suffered somewhat. In any case he would be good backup for us but with our reluctance to play Trengove, he probably wouldn't be getting a game and perhaps that's why he chose to leave.

By the way, when did we recruit Trengove? Was it after Roghy left?
    We recruited Trengove in 2017 for the 2018 season. Roughead left us at the end of the 2018 season

Interesting that both players were drafted in the same year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah I thought he was poor for us as a defender and always worried when he was selected there.
    I get that but I also thought he played some good games.