Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  68
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking teams is really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We recruited Trengove in 2017 for the 2018 season. Roughead left us at the end of the 2018 season

Interesting that both players were drafted in the same year
    In hindsight it's a little odd. Roughead is basically a better ruck AND a better defender than JT.

I was never a big fan of JT's recruitment, but he was OK at times early on (and late last year). The falling out with Roughy was weird, it's clear he fell out of love with Bevo and he had commented as such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    In hindsight it's a little odd. Roughead is basically a better ruck AND a better defender than JT.

I was never a big fan of JT's recruitment, but he was OK at times early on (and late last year). The falling out with Roughy was weird, it's clear he fell out of love with Bevo and he had commented as such.
    The Trengove recruitment probably happened a couple of years too late but he was a structure player capable of filling a few spots for us. Roughead could have been given a go as a defender but had lost Bevo's support and maybe that was justified but we needed to have some more options both in the ruck to support English and to cover the back line
    I think list spots were a bit tight when we let him go
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Trengove recruitment probably happened a couple of years too late but he was a structure player capable of filling a few spots for us. Roughead could have been given a go as a defender but had lost Bevo's support and maybe that was justified but we needed to have some more options both in the ruck to support English and to cover the back line
    I think list spots were a bit tight when we let him go
    At what point do we actually ask why Bevo is losing support on proven performers, instead of blaming the players who have left or finding excuses?

Losing Koby Stevens, Hrovat and Hamling after the flag hurt us. The first two aren't world beaters but they actually contributed at some key times. I was disappointed we lost Koby and while it didn't work out for him at St Kilda due to injuries, he was a good 20-25 list player. Hrovat I could live with losing and he didn't feature as much as Koby, so opportunity was key for him. Still - losing good depth and replacing it with untried skinny 18 year olds doesn't help you compete.

We then went on to lose Stringer (say what you will but we handled this as well as we handed the premiership hangover), Dahlhaus (lost motivation - at one time he WAS the fabric of the club), Roughead (key part of the flag, proven defender/ruck), Biggs (lost motivation completely), Adams (because... I don't know?) whilst Picken/Boyd/Smith couldn't be helped.

One or two drop off? Sure, it happens to every successful side but we've found a way to lose 8+ because we deemed them disruptive or unmotivated. Many of these have been replaced with players who really shouldn't even be in the AFL system, or are lucky to be.

4. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At what point do we actually ask why Bevo is losing support on proven performers, instead of blaming the players who have left or finding excuses?

Losing Koby Stevens, Hrovat and Hamling after the flag hurt us. The first two aren't world beaters but they actually contributed at some key times. I was disappointed we lost Koby and while it didn't work out for him at St Kilda due to injuries, he was a good 20-25 list player. Hrovat I could live with losing and he didn't feature as much as Koby, so opportunity was key for him. Still - losing good depth and replacing it with untried skinny 18 year olds doesn't help you compete.

We then went on to lose Stringer (say what you will but we handled this as well as we handed the premiership hangover), Dahlhaus (lost motivation - at one time he WAS the fabric of the club), Roughead (key part of the flag, proven defender/ruck), Biggs (lost motivation completely), Adams (because... I don't know?) whilst Picken/Boyd/Smith couldn't be helped.

One or two drop off? Sure, it happens to every successful side but we've found a way to lose 8+ because we deemed them disruptive or unmotivated. Many of these have been replaced with players who really shouldn't even be in the AFL system, or are lucky to be.
    *Hamling - wanted to go home to WA - he said so mid 2016
    *Dahl - we offered him 3 years he wanted 4
    *Stringer - trouble maker - good riddance
    * Adams - No player liked him, had no mates
    *Biggs - yeah, well he is not playing footy, so he did lose motivation
    *Roughead probably the only one that I was surprised with, but it happens.
    *Hrovat - not good enough
    *Koby - wanted more opportunities, couldn't really break into midfield.

There is always a reason, every team loses players. When you are losing games, you can bring up all sorts of things, different when you are winning.

On top of all that, Murphy and Matt Boyd retired, two players with huge experience, Tom Boyd with mental health issues and you mentioned Smith and Picken

We know you don't like Bevo, that is fine and that is your opinion, but you need to look at the facts as well.

The fact is, the club knows we lost experience and brought in Suckling, Duryea, Trengove, Lloyd, Keath and Bruce.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

We know you don't like Bevo, that is fine and that is your opinion, but you need to look at the facts as well.

The fact is, the club knows we lost experience and brought in Suckling, Duryea, Trengove, Lloyd, Keath and Bruce.
    I don't sense that from TBB, he might not be accepting that Bevo's the messiah he was previously regarded as but I don't believe TBB is in the sack Bevo camp

I'd say very few are in that camp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    *Hamling - wanted to go home to WA - he said so mid 2016
    *Dahl - we offered him 3 years he wanted 4
    *Stringer - trouble maker - good riddance
    * Adams - No player liked him, had no mates
    *Biggs - yeah, well he is not playing footy, so he did lose motivation
    *Roughead probably the only one that I was surprised with, but it happens.
    *Hrovat - not good enough
    *Koby - wanted more opportunities, couldn't really break into midfield.

There is always a reason, every team loses players. When you are losing games, you can bring up all sorts of things, different when you are winning.

On top of all that, Murphy and Matt Boyd retired, two players with huge experience, Tom Boyd with mental health issues and you mentioned Smith and Picken

First of all, it's nothing to do with me not liking Bevo - which is categorically untrue. I've met him personally a number of times and sat in on a couple of private meetings mind you, he's a great guy and I love what he did for our club. That doesn't mean I won't question him (or anyone else) if I don't agree with what I'm seeing. I find your "we get it you don't like him, but you're wrong" comment pretty insulting TBH. You may not agree with my analysis which is fine.

You kinda reiterated my point above too - why are there 8 excuses for a side which should be in harmony after winning a premiership? Why were we content to let proven senior players go? Hamling's situation may be different but I question how hard we tried to make it work. If that was Naughton, would we let him go so easily?

We didn't want to give Dahl 4 (maybe fair enough) but we didn't we give JT 4? Roberts 2? JJ's massive contract? I get you draw the line at some point, but I am confident this was not PURELY about $$ here.

The only two from that group I'd say "yeah, fine" would be Biggs (clearly lost any desire after the flag) and Hrovat (clearly wanted opportunity). IIRC Stevens had some injuries yet still managed 12 games in 2016.

Adams is injury prone and sometimes players don't fit in, but NO player liked him? I find that really hard to believe and it's a real cop out. He's injury prone but he's exactly what we needed to keep (and still need).

Don't be so dismissive of losing proven senior players so soon after winning the flag. Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn all kept the majority of their players (including fringe players) while they were still in contention and it's really only after last year that the Tigers started giving a couple away. After 2/3 flags, I'd be more understanding too.

Post Thanks / Like

Adams is injury prone and sometimes players don't fit in, but NO player liked him? I find that really hard to believe
    Got to say I do too. I was introduced to Marcus at a function and he was a really good guy. Friendly, intelligent and generous with his time. He was studying psychology and we are involved in this area so he was interested and asking questions; one of the better guys I've met.
    Maybe he had a falling out with a couple of players im not sure but that wouldn't be unusual in any place where there's multiple humans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Got to say I do too. I was introduced to Marcus at a function and he was a really good guy. Friendly, intelligent and generous with his time. He was studying psychology and we are involved in this area so he was interested and asking questions; one of the better guys I've met.
    Maybe he had a falling out with a couple of players im not sure but that wouldn't be unusual in any place where there's multiple humans.
    From memory, he was pretty good mates with Hamling and I went to a function where they had driven in together
    I think he was frustrated by his injuries and that's why he wanted to test Brisbane's ability to get him right rather than head back to WA and they have struggled in that area as well

I would have liked him to stay but it didn't work out that way.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find your "we get it you don't like him, but you're wrong" comment pretty insulting TBH. You may not agree with my analysis which is fine.
    Show me where I said that? No need to get insulted, it's your opinion and that is fine. All I ask is look into the reasons why players left

You kinda reiterated my point above too - why are there 8 excuses for a side which should be in harmony after winning a premiership? Why were we content to let proven senior players go? Hamling's situation may be different but I question how hard we tried to make it work. If that was Naughton, would we let him go so easily?
    Gave you reasons why each one left. As I said with Hamling I knew mid year we were going to lose him. Maybe we didn't try hard enough? Hard to stop alot of the indigenous boys from wanting to go home.

We didn't want to give Dahl 4 (maybe fair enough) but we didn't we give JT 4? Roberts 2? JJ's massive contract? I get you draw the line at some point, but I am confident this was not PURELY about $$ here.
    Trengove got 3 years not 4. Roberts deserved 2 at the time and I don't know what JJ is on but he deserves it, he is A grader

Adams is injury prone and sometimes players don't fit in, but NO player liked him? I find that really hard to believe and it's a real cop out. He's injury prone but he's exactly what we needed to keep (and still need)..
    Don't believe me, but that is what I understand and what you think I made that up?

Don't be so dismissive of losing proven senior players so soon after winning the flag. Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn all kept the majority of their players (including fringe players) while they were still in contention and it's really only after last year that the Tigers started giving a couple away. After 2/3 flags, I'd be more understanding too.
    Well gave you reasons why they left. We have actually lost Roughead, Dahl, Hamling and Stringer - 4 PLAYERS still playing footy. Hardly the biggest issue of all time

For me Hamling is the biggest loss, but we know why he left.

Here is the GF team

Jason Johannisen
    Jackson Macrae
    Matthew Boyd Retired
    Liam Picken Retired
    Luke Dahlhaus Wanted more money
    Thomas Liberatore
    Marcus Bontempelli
    Lachlan Hunter
    Toby McLean
    Dale Morris Retired
    Shane Biggs Retired
    Josh Dunkley
    Thomas Boyd Retired
    Caleb Daniel
    Easton Wood
    Jordan Roughead Traded
    Clay Smith Retired
    Jake Stringer Traded
    Tory Dickson
    Zaine Cordy
    Joel Hamling Traded
    Fletcher Roberts Delist
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe we are talking about Stevens and Horvat.

The only player that has left and actually looks decent is stringer and rough.

I don't think stringer leaving had anything to do with Bevo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

They were good depth players though. Players who could come in and play a role. We had players like that on tap and we squandered all our depth and replaced them with kids.

Stringer caused his own mess. Could we have got him through all the issues is a good question? Did we want to is another?

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    They were good depth players though. Players who could come in and play a role. We had players like that on tap and we squandered all our depth and replaced them with kids.

Stringer caused his own mess. Could we have got him through all the issues is a good question? Did we want to is another?
    But who was actually doing the job? Dahl was really poor in his last few years here. Adams could never do his job cos he never got on the field.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We miss Hrovat ?
    This site’s officially jumped the shark

18. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer was terrible in his last two years
    Can’t put his issues off field at the feet of the coach!
    He plays on his own terms and still does
    Dahlhaus was also a non contributor since the flag
    Adams ? Who ? Give me a break

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post

Roughy for me also . Thought he got a raw deal to be honest
    Hrovat couldn’t get a game at Norf
    Premiership teams always lose fringe players . Tigers have lost Butler and Lloyd and players leave for greater opportunity