Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned - RD 10 v Brisbane 2020

I actually didn't learn a lot, however was surprised by a few things that showed how poor our on field coordination is.

1. Getting sucked to the ball and leaving opposition players out says to me communication on ground isn't where it needs to be

2. Lack of defencive mindset in our midfield group, particularly at the clearance level when it's clear we need to get the game on our terms. Yes, we are good enough to win the ball ourselves but when the opposition has its tail up stifling them should be the first and foremost concern at the coal face. When you're not having it on your terms at the centre bounce kill the contest, let players roll in to support at the next one. Again, something the players should do automatically

3. Outside of the 2009 preliminary final I've been pretty pragmatic towards umpiring as a football watcher, but the non-payment of the free against Harris Andrews directly in front broke me and I'll struggle with it. It was a huge moment in the game exacerbated by our midfield not being accountable, but kicking a goal at that time would have made a huge difference to the nature of the second quarter. Obvious, and disgraceful omission
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Less voices in match committee as a result of COVID has been very detrimental to us

2. Our 'handball club' game plan looks quite archaic compared to the contenders in 2020

3. Selection integrity matters. Giving some players multiple weeks despite no form and others 1 week to basically fill the seats does not make for a happy and harmonious playing group and club.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

1 - Coming off a shorter break hasn't been a problem for good teams
    2 - We've allowed teams to break us down for the better part of a quarter in games and it's cost us
    3 - We really need to start getting some wins
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    1. Our midfield, on paper look great, but despite Macrae's 40 touches and Bont's 30, as a group they were torched at the source, and especially in the 2nd qtr they gave up goals.
    I think this is such a good point it deserves its own thread.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I actually didn't learn a lot, however was surprised by a few things that showed how poor our on field coordination is.

1. Getting sucked to the ball and leaving opposition players out says to me communication on ground isn't where it needs to be

2. Lack of defencive mindset in our midfield group, particularly at the clearance level when it's clear we need to get the game on our terms. Yes, we are good enough to win the ball ourselves but when the opposition has its tail up stifling them should be the first and foremost concern at the coal face. When you're not having it on your terms at the centre bounce kill the contest, let players roll in to support at the next one. Again, something the players should do automatically

3. Outside of the 2009 preliminary final I've been pretty pragmatic towards umpiring as a football watcher, but the non-payment of the free against Harris Andrews directly in front broke me and I'll struggle with it. It was a huge moment in the game exacerbated by our midfield not being accountable, but kicking a goal at that time would have made a huge difference to the nature of the second quarter. Obvious, and disgraceful omission
    Your 2nd point Jeemak was so evident to see at the ground tonight. What's more so could Brisbane players further outside the contest and upfield..

Whenever a ball was flicked out of a contest, before the next passage of play had taken place, Lion's players one kick away already could see they were going to win the ball and started moving to space. Especially in the 2nd Qtr. At times it looked like a game of checkers unfolding with overlaps everywhere

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

None of this is new. It has been going on for 3.5 years.

So who’s to say the midfield isn’t playing to instruction?

And if our midfield should be more responsible for following defence plans like you’re suggesting, why has it been allowed to happen and why isn’t the message sinking in?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes SonofScray, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    None of this is new. It has been going on for 3.5 years.

So who’s to say the midfield isn’t playing to instruction?

And if our midfield should be more responsible for following defence plans like you’re suggesting, why has it been allowed to happen and why isn’t the message sinking in?
    Exactly. How many years can you give a bunch of players to start becoming more disciplined and communicative? If it takes that long for them to learn how to be accountable then we’ve got a problem.

Our on field leadership must be the worst in the comp. Honestly Bont just doesn’t look like a leader to me. At least not at this early stage. And I don’t know who on our list can do it effectively on field. I think we’ve given Bont the captaincy to sure up his signature. I hope we haven’t done a Melbourne and just given a bunch of kids leadership. Unfortunately we haven’t got any experience left. We’re really missing Boyd’s and Morris’ leadership.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The AFL has officially removed the dropping the ball rule - they just didn’t tell us

2. Were so far away from the “good teams” - last night we were beaten in each area of the ground

3. I’d forgotten how good it is watching a pack mark and goal in OUR F50

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much something I’ve learnt but something I’m giving more thought to. Do we need to send Naughton back to defence? We need a guy down there who can take the big forwards. Keath can’t and I’m not sure what value Cordy provides anymore. He can’t intercept, can’t play small and can’t play on the bigs. Naughton can be our rock down there. It also doesn’t leave us as exposed up forward. Le Young, Schache and Bruce can operate up there well enough and with JUM next year it’s not a bad forward line. I know we go through this every year but our balance down back seems off and even though that’s the case up forward, I think we’ve got more players up there who can step in. But who can honestly step in down back if Keath goes down?? We need two of Naughts

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Not so much something I’ve learnt but something I’m giving more thought to. Do we need to send Naughton back to defence? We need a guy down there who can take the big forwards. Keath can’t and I’m not sure what value Cordy provides anymore. He can’t intercept, can’t play small and can’t play on the bigs. Naughton can be our rock down there. It also doesn’t leave us as exposed up forward. Le Young, Schache and Bruce can operate up there well enough and with JUM next year it’s not a bad forward line. I know we go through this every year but our balance down back seems off and even though that’s the case up forward, I think we’ve got more players up there who can step in. But who can honestly step in down back if Keath goes down?? We need two of Naughts
    Was thinking the same thing at 3 qtr time then he took a mark and kicked a goal in the last.

I think Easton Wood is desperately out of form. Having him able to affect a contest and support other back as a 3rd up makes a huge difference, though very hard to do when you’re following Charlie Cameron around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Clearly the MC do not see a future with Young or Schache otherwise they would’ve played with Naughton out. Naughton would be wasted as a lock down defender. If we put him back (which I don’t support) he needs to play the intercept role as an attacking CHB. As a defender his field kicking would be exposed more than it currently is.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Clearly the MC do not see a future with Young or Schache otherwise they would’ve played with Naughton out. Naughton would be wasted as a lock down defender. If we put him back (which I don’t support) he needs to play the intercept role as an attacking CHB. As a defender his field kicking would be exposed more than it currently is.
    I do support throwing him back at times. Bevo was BiG on players learning how to play 2 or more positions yet players are rarely moved from their starting position. Naughton is badly need forward for his contested marking as we saw a ripper last night. But a. he needs to find touch and b. we needed to stop Hipwood kicking a match winning bag of 5 goals. But we kept an inexperienced out of his depth Gardener on Hipwood. Why not swap Naughton with Gardner to try stop some bleeding.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

17. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The English experiment is over.
    2. We are the biggest downhill skiers after the Bombers. As soon as we are challenged we crumble. Mentally weak.
    3. We have the most list cloggers in the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I do support throwing him back at times. Bevo was BiG on players learning how to play 2 or more positions yet players are rarely moved from their starting position. Naughton is badly need forward for his contested marking as we saw a ripper last night. But a. he needs to find touch and b. we needed to stop Hipwood kicking a match winning bag of 5 goals. But we kept an inexperienced out of his depth Gardener on Hipwood. Why not swap Naughton with Gardner to try stop some bleeding.
    My response was having Naughton go back on a permanent basis.

I am of the belief having players learn 2 or more positions has had an impact development and team chemistry.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I want him up forward too. But what do we do if Keath goes down with injury?? We have no backup. Le Young won’t be able to go with the big guys.