Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

One Quarter Lapses In Games

Tonight really we lost this game with a poor 10-15 minutes at the end of the 2nd quarter. We actually won the 2nd half on the scoreboard but resoundingly lost the 1st half on scoreboard due mainly to that poor bit in the 2nd quarter. How do we rectify this going forward in games and absorb the pressure better when the opposition starts putting us under siege.

Discuss.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Quarter Lapses In Games

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Tonight really we lost this game with a poor 10-15 minutes at the end of the 2nd quarter. We actually won the 2nd half on the scoreboard but resoundingly lost the 1st half on scoreboard due mainly to that poor bit in the 2nd quarter. How do we rectify this going forward in games and absorb the pressure better when the opposition starts putting us under siege.

Discuss.
    Was the same last week in the 3rd, young team so its understandable.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo just mentioned it in the presser. The team need to sustain a four quarter effort.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think last week was a real opportunity lost. Had them on toast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I think last week was a real opportunity lost. Had them on toast.
    Defence of centre very solid but forward of centre we weren't and even with that poor 3rd quarter we were a lot closer last week in the game and if we took our chances we would have won.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Bevo just mentioned it in the presser. The team need to sustain a four quarter effort.
    2nd quarter v Richmond, 3rd v Port, 2nd v Brisbane. The top three teams. 4 quarters is an understatement.

The players are at fault, you can't relax for a moment in this day and age in footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We can dominate a quarter and end up 1, maybe 2 goals up at best.

15 minutes is all it takes for a good side to rip us apart, then they cruise in second for the rest of the match.

Our whole system is broken.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought last night we had a 2½ quarter lapse. From the second half of the the first quarter to the end of the third quarter we were dominated around the contest. For Bevo to suggest we had a lapse in the second quarter only he is in denial.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

If we can solve this question we would have a terrific side

We've lost against two quality and in form teams on their home patch because of 10 to 15 minute lapses, I'm not devastated by it.
    We should be learning a bit from it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

We've lost against two quality and in form teams on their home patch because of 10 to 15 minute lapses, I'm not devastated by it.
    We should be, but are we? We should have learnt a lot since 2017 to now, but I'm not sure we have.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

What we should be learning is that our game style is not sustainable for 4 quarters.

When was the last time we have played against a genuinely decent team and been able to sustain the effort for the whole game?

Our gameplan relies on us applying otherworldy pressure and intensity for about a 9 point a quarter advantage. It is way to hard and unsustainable for the payoff it provides, and has basically been proven to not be feasible for a whole game. The fact we don't have an alternative is killing us, especially in a season with such a frenetic schedule that it makes a high energy gameplan even less sustainable.

It seems like we are approaching the problem as "How can we make our gamestyle work for 4 quarters?", when we should be asking "How can we change our gamestyle to something that can work for 4 quarters?". It's like we are just trying to brute force our way to a solution instead of actually changing things.

(I'm not saying we aren't looking to change, but we certainly keep doubling down on our not working gameplan somehow starting to work).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    What we should be learning is that our game style is not sustainable for 4 quarters.

When was the last time we have played against a genuinely decent team and been able to sustain the effort for the whole game?

Our gameplan relies on us applying otherworldy pressure and intensity for about a 9 point a quarter advantage. It is way to hard and unsustainable for the payoff it provides, and has basically been proven to not be feasible for a whole game. The fact we don't have an alternative is killing us, especially in a season with such a frenetic schedule that it makes a high energy gameplan even less sustainable.

It seems like we are approaching the problem as "How can we make our gamestyle work for 4 quarters?", when we should be asking "How can we change our gamestyle to something that can work for 4 quarters?". It's like we are just trying to brute force our way to a solution instead of actually changing things.

(I'm not saying we aren't looking to change, but we certainly keep doubling down on our not working gameplan somehow starting to work).
    Bingo. Could not agree more.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    It takes 4 quarters of Bevo football to win, and one quarter of opposition football to be beaten.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    It takes 4 quarters of Bevo football to win, and one quarter of opposition football to be beaten.
    Sometimes 4 quarters of Bevo football doesn’t win. Typically 15 minutes of opposition football wins. It’s not a great formula

Post Thanks / Like

This would all make sense if our pressure and intent lapsed late in games after consistent effort weekly, but that's not the case. The lapses happen at different times and often early in games.

What we saw last night from the midfield in the second quarter had nothing to do with fatigue, it had nothing to do with game style. It have everything to do with intent and it was severely lacking. Asking that midfield to be accountable and defencively minded when needed isn't akin to asking them to colonise Mars sustainably within six months, it's literally just asking them to show up and neutralise a contest through communication and positioning.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.