Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One Quarter Lapses In Games

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    What we should be learning is that our game style is not sustainable for 4 quarters.

When was the last time we have played against a genuinely decent team and been able to sustain the effort for the whole game?

Our gameplan relies on us applying otherworldy pressure and intensity for about a 9 point a quarter advantage. It is way to hard and unsustainable for the payoff it provides, and has basically been proven to not be feasible for a whole game. The fact we don't have an alternative is killing us, especially in a season with such a frenetic schedule that it makes a high energy gameplan even less sustainable.

It seems like we are approaching the problem as "How can we make our gamestyle work for 4 quarters?", when we should be asking "How can we change our gamestyle to something that can work for 4 quarters?". It's like we are just trying to brute force our way to a solution instead of actually changing things.

(I'm not saying we aren't looking to change, but we certainly keep doubling down on our not working gameplan somehow starting to work).
    In your opinion, what is the game plan?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    2nd quarter v Richmond, 3rd v Port, 2nd v Brisbane. The top three teams. 4 quarters is an understatement.

The players are at fault, you can't relax for a moment in this day and age in footy.
    I don't think this is right. More than not being able to "RELAX", you have to:

1/. Score when you have your moments.
    2/. Minimise opposition scoring when they have their moments.

We neither score enough nor can we minimise the damage...what can I say. Vs Port (first half) and Brisbane (last q) we had our chances to score but just couldn't do it...when they had chances, they did.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I thought last night we had a 2½ quarter lapse. From the second half of the the first quarter to the end of the third quarter we were dominated around the contest. For Bevo to suggest we had a lapse in the second quarter only he is in denial.
    Agree completely. We lost the scorecard in the second half of 2nd qtr but were comprehensively beaten right across the ground for 2.5 quarters. I don’t think I saw us get one centre clearance in the third quarter - couple that with them not only getting the clearance but usually getting a pretty clean kick into their F50 during that period.

If this was a lions forum I’d be suggesting we should have won by more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

We neither score enough nor can we minimise the damage...what can I say. Vs Port (first half) and Brisbane (last q) we had our chances to score but just couldn't do it...when they had chances, they did.
    Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I should have said drop the intensity and effort in some of the quarters we leaked multiple goals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In your opinion, what is the game plan?
    Play an aggressive swarm style where our defence is not strong one on one so needs to be protected by the midfield being on top and applying pressure to their entries and basically all their disposals around the contest.

Move the ball through quick handballs and short kicks up the ground utilising Daniel, Macrae and Hunter as your main movers (all short range disposers) and trying to drag in enough opponents to be able to release someone with the 7th disposal in the chain. Through this we have pushed up enough numbers that by sheer quantity of players we can contain the ball in our half of the ground and by keeping it tight can force the oppositions initial disposals to be rushed to contested situations where we should be able to contain it with our high defensive line and plethora of ball winners in traffic.

Have a bunch of forwards that are essentially marking targets of a variety of sizes that need space to operate, but target most of our forward entries to the long bomb where instead of trying to specifically hit up targets we are more going for a position in our forwardline we can set up and defend from. This is actually interesting to think about, we set up our forwardline to be chaos once it's down there, but we lack chaos forwards. If you swapped Lloyd and Dale out for someone like Betts and maybe a Lachie Schultz from Freo you all of a sudden have two real opportunist forwards who can make something happen from traffic. We have a bunch of forwards like Dale, Wallis and Lloyd who are all ok in one on one marking contests and positioning themselves but when starved of space struggle to find it and offer no real dynamism to the forwardline. You can see why guys like Lipinski and Richards for all their faults are in the side because at least in those tight spaces they can hit the ball with speed (I mean they are moving, not that they are quick) and in Lipinskis case can execute in tight spaces.

All the above requires a lot of effort to protect our defence including no mental lapses which leave it horribly exposed. Also our need to make everything always a contest, from our team defence relying on immense pressure, to our ball movement requiring high intensity and constant numbers around the ball without using the width of the ground, and our forward setup which relies on us congesting things for long enough that we get lucky with the half chances that come our way, means no wonder we can't keep it up for a game. Every single facet of our game is hard to execute and requires immense effort, and it comes undone very quickly through any mental lapse where we are not on.
    Last edited by soupman; 10-08-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Thanks GVGjr, azabob, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Play an aggressive swarm style where our defence is not strong one on one so needs to be protected by the midfield being on top and applying pressure to their entries and basically all their disposals around the contest.

Move the ball through quick handballs and short kicks up the ground utilising Daniel, Macrae and Hunter as your main movers (all short range disposers) and trying to drag in enough opponents to be able to release someone with the 7th disposal in the chain. Through this we have pushed up enough numbers that by sheer quantity of players we can contain the ball in our half of the ground and by keeping it tight can force the oppositions initial disposals to be rushed to contested situations where we should be able to contain it with our high defensive line and plethora of ball winners in traffic.

Have a bunch of forwards that are essentially marking targets of a variety of sizes that need space to operate, but target most of our forward entries to the long bomb where instead of trying to specifically hit up targets we are more going for a position in our forwardline we can set up and defend from. This is actually interesting to think about, we set up our forwardline to be chaos once it's done there, but we lack chaos forwards. If you swapped Lloyd and Dale out for someone like Betts and maybe a Lachie Schultz from Freo you all of a sudden have to real opportunist forwards who can make something happen from traffic. We have a bunch of forward like Dale, Wallis and Lloyd who are all ok in one on one marking contests and positioning themselves but when starved of space struggle to find it and offer no real dynamism to the forwardline. You can see why guys like Lipinski and Richards for all their faults are in the side because at least in those tight spaces they can hit the ball with speed (I mean they are moving, not that they are quick) and in Lipinskis case can execute in tight spaces.

All the above requires a lot of effort to protect our defence including no mental lapses which leave it horribly exposed. Also our ability to make everything always a contest, from our team defence relying on immense pressure, to our ball movement requiring high intensity and constant numbers around the ball without using the width of the ground, and our forward setup which relies on us congesting things for long enough that we get lucky with the half chances that come our way, means no wonder we can't keep it up for a game. Every single facet of our game is "hard" to execute and requires immense effort.
    Thanks SM, nicely explained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

That's Footy.

Everyone has there purple patch in a game. It's about making it count on the scoreboard and the pressure that results from that, that determines the result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Agree completely. We lost the scorecard in the second half of 2nd qtr but were comprehensively beaten right across the ground for 2.5 quarters. I don’t think I saw us get one centre clearance in the third quarter - couple that with them not only getting the clearance but usually getting a pretty clean kick into their F50 during that period.

If this was a lions forum I’d be suggesting we should have won by more.
    They had 9 more scorching shots. And we were accurate.