Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things need to change from the top down

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe a Hodge type, someone that has come from a successful team and just recently retired.

I actually don't want any ex Bulldogs back, like a Matthew Boyd, I want some one from say a Richmond, WestCoast who have recently won premierships.
    Yeah this would be ideal. Why not get all three of Hodge, Burgoyne and Riewoldt? 2 of them seem content in their media gigs but this is the type of thing we need to be doing. Anyone have any info on who the next storm go assistant coaches are? If a coach were to be sacked, who would potential candidates be? Note: I’m not asking to replace bevo, I’m asking to see which assistants we could bring in

Post Thanks / Like

We need to shake up the assistant coaches at the very least. Bring in either someone who is totally ruthless in outlook or someone like Dale Morris who the players would run over broken glass for.

Post Thanks / Like

We need to bring in some new voices and ideas
    Have no idea what beveridge is like and neither does anyone else
    I think we all agree in that we need some sort of different type of game plan as well

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

List Management- How on earth do we have 17 players with there contracts expiring in 2020 and if we are honest none of them should be on our senior list in 2021. The only player who you could mount a case for is Tyler Duyrea and that is because he has been injured all year.

Most players sign a 2 to 3 year contract and if there is 45 on the list then 17 players with expiring contracts is not out of the ordinary. The lists also wont be as big next year which will mean a lot of the cloggers will finally be gone. To think we are paying Trengove and Bruce in total over $1m per year over the next couple of years. That would have got us a handy player.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 10-08-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    We need to bring in some new voices and ideas
    Have no idea what beveridge is like and neither does anyone else
    I think we all agree in that we need some sort of different type of game plan as well
    There are plenty of good assistants out there at the moment as each of the clubs had to cut costs which meant letting go a number of assistants. No one seems to target our assistant coaches whereas those from Richmond/Hawthorn/Collingwood/West Coast/Swans seem to be the ones other clubs target.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We criticise certain players all we want but it seems our development program is a shambles. So many players have gone backwards. Remember in 2018 when Richards and Lynch were competing with the likes of Dangerfield and Selwood? It was very assuring to know what young talent we have.

Since then Lynch hasn't gotten a game and Richards has gone backwards. It's not just our youth either. Cordy has gone backwards, JJ has, Bont has believe it or not. Our new recruits have gone backwards. Keith has been okay but quiet, Bruce has gone backwards. Daniel has kept jogging along, he's always been good. Crozier has improved as well as Naughton but that's it. There are many more I could list.

We have butchered our development so I ask this question. At what point is it the fault of the coaches? I'm not saying Beveridge should be sacked, I just want answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    We criticise certain players all we want but it seems our development program is a shambles. So many players have gone backwards. Remember in 2018 when Richards and Lynch were competing with the likes of Dangerfield and Selwood? It was very assuring to know what young talent we have.

Since then Lynch hasn't gotten a game and Richards has gone backwards. It's not just our youth either. Cordy has gone backwards, JJ has, Bont has believe it or not. Our new recruits have gone backwards. Keith has been okay but quiet, Bruce has gone backwards. Daniel has kept jogging along, he's always been good. Crozier has improved as well as Naughton but that's it. There are many more I could list.

We have butchered our development so I ask this question. At what point is it the fault of the coaches? I'm not saying Beveridge should be sacked, I just want answers.
    It's not just the coaches it all rests on the total footy department. We have development coaches, list and recruiting managers, a number of coaches and a GM of Footy.
    Development is more than teaching a player a few skills, it's about having a comprehensive development plan.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's not just the coaches it all rests on the total footy department. We have development coaches, list and recruiting managers, a number of coaches and a GM of Footy.
    Development is more than teaching a player a few skills, it's about having a comprehensive development plan.
    The term "coach" was more in reference to most of that. Everything to do with the training and development of the players. Our recruitment is actually pretty good. We were able to get Keath and Bruce for SFA and get Weightman. Yet we still find a way to make Bruce go backwards in a team that we assumed was better than the 15th placed Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

The term "coach" was more in reference to most of that. Everything to do with the training and development of the players. Our recruitment is actually pretty good. We were able to get Keath and Bruce for SFA and get Weightman. Yet we still find a way to make Bruce go backwards in a team that we assumed was better than the 15th placed Saints.
    Bruce came back in not tip top condition after Lockout 1

Maybe the players we recruited over the past few seasons are not as good as we thought, after all they are late picks. Of Course your number one, or two draft picks can usually perform, but third rounders are a bit of a lottery
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Maybe the players we recruited over the past few seasons are not as good as we thought, after all they are late picks. Of Course your number one, or two draft picks can usually perform, but third rounders are a bit of a lottery
    That's a complete cop out.

The draft pick number doesn't matter once they're at the club, and we have heaps of players show enough then either disappear off the face of the earth or completely stagnate regardless.

Besides, Schache was a pick 2, certainly isn't improving, and we certainly don't seem to be trying anything different to help him improve.
    Richards was a first rounder, hasn't played well for ages, and his kicking which was an asset is now a complete liability to the extent that Billy Gowers shows more care.
    Young wasn't a high pick, but has shown plenty of ability at the top level, and even last year appeared to make progress, but now is no where to be seen.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

The draft pick number doesn't matter once they're at the club, and we have heaps of players show enough then either disappear off the face of the earth or completely stagnate regardless.

Besides, Schache was a pick 2, certainly isn't improving, and we certainly don't seem to be trying anything different to help him improve.
    Richards was a first rounder, hasn't played well for ages, and his kicking which was an asset is now a complete liability to the extent that Billy Gowers shows more care.
    Young wasn't a high pick, but has shown plenty of ability at the top level, and even last year appeared to make progress, but now is no where to be seen.
    Can throw Bontempelli into that mix. Early signs point to Bailey Smith continuing that pattern. How many players on our list could you actually say have improved since our flag?
    Wallis
    Williams
    Daniel
    Crozier
    Dale at a stretch

Thats basically it. That is horrendous when you consider that we had/have such a young list. Now who wants to write a list of players who have stagnated, gone backwards or just disappeared off the planet?

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure our recruitment process considers the strengths, weaknesses and if the player can be coached and has an upside so while not every player is going to make it, the development of the players and the decisions on if we keep them on list is a footy department accountability

If players aren't improving we need to move them on a bit quicker or 'up' our development efforts
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Can throw Bontempelli into that mix. Early signs point to Bailey Smith continuing that pattern.
    Bont call is harsh, is carrying an injury, is still a dominant force but lacking support. Consider that both our costly quarters these last two games have coincided with Bont being stuck up forward. Also I suspect making the jump from "elite" to "actually the best player in the comp" is bloody hard, and his form can still fluctuate without him having "stagnated".

Smith is also a harsh call, he was being talked up as the best player in his draft and a huge improver as recent as two weeks ago, and is comfortably winning the Marmo despite looking exhausted these last two games.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier in this thread I referenced our development issues potentially started in 2014 when we started moving Chris Maple away from day to day development of players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

I still think we as supporters over rate players.

This is my list of 50/50s

Unknown
    Butler, Louis
    Cavarra, Ben
    Garcia, Riley
    Khamis, Buku R
    Sweet, Jordon R
    Weightman, Cody
    Shown some glimpses, but possible over rated
    Gardner, Ryan R
    Gowers, Billy
    Greene, Fergus
    Lynch, Bradley
    Porter, Callum
    Smith, Roarke R
    West, Rhylee
    Young, Lachie R
    Disappointing - should do better but?
    Schache, Josh
    Young, Lewis
    Richards, Ed
    Hayes, Will
    Lipinski, Pat

The taller players take longer so Schache and Lew Young still have time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Thanks CarnTheScray thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post