Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things need to change from the top down

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    If the ball is entering well it’s going to one of our players. It should be at least a 35% chance he will mark it because he is away from his opponent. Then it should be a shot on goal. If he misses the kick then he mans up next to his opponent.

What I cannot figure out is the last part. At present it is common to see the opposition take the ball all the way into our defensive area without one of our players being within 15metres of them. That’s where I want to see pressure. Our guys trot in to stand the mark. All they are applying pressure to is grass.

Be away from opponent when ball is coming in, be next to opponent when ball is going out. The tv might give a misleading impression but it looks like our game plan has this back to front on our forward line.
    Yep agree. Its that pushing up into the face of an already unsure defender (due to good behind the ball structure) with speed and intensity that I want to see. Is it effort based ? Or do we just not have the personnel? West for me is someone that could bring this before a midfield move. I'd have him as a regular.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Wallis, Lloyd and Dale in 1 forward line is a recipe for disaster, IMO. The days of marking mid sized forwards who can't pressure and kick goals in traffic are over.

Look at Richmond, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port. All high scoring teams with a few big guys and a whole bunch of speedy smalls. Our forward line is treacle slow compared to theirs.
    I agree we need some speedy smalls to apply pressure. But we don’t have a single player like that on our list so this is the best we’ve got

Post Thanks / Like

Once we get a quick small forward at the club say goodbye to Dale and Lloyd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Once we get a quick small forward at the club say goodbye to Dale and Lloyd.
    In the last 10 games last year we played 4 talls. English, Naughton, Schache and Trengove. We also played Dale and Lloyd.

We cut back on the frantic stuff and focused on delivery by foot, allowing players up the field to make good position.

What handball we had was used well to players moving into better position.

Result: The best football in years, and some of the games were better than 2016.

So what did the Selectors do for the final?

They omitted Trengove, Then Naughton got injured. Then GWS was too strong, we made no positional moves to protect our play makers. We even helped GWS by putting Bont in the ruck so he became an easy target.

What did we learn? Nothing. We went back to the same game plan that failed in the first half of 2019. Pure genius!

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at Richmond, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port. All high scoring teams with a few big guys and a whole bunch of speedy smalls. Our forward line is treacle slow compared to theirs.
    The sides that are performing well all have a couple of tall forwards and some footy smart mid sized forwards around them

We need to stick with Vandermeer who's got a point of difference with some of our other forwards
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The sides that are performing well all have a couple of tall forwards and some footy smart mid sized forwards around them

We need to stick with Vandermeer who's got a point of difference with some of our other forwards
    Yeah, Vanders has definitely been a bright spot for us this year. Let's hope he doesn't disappear in 2021.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Vandermeer is like Richards, only better.

But I think he was given time to learn in the VFL, not sure Richards was.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but when we played the more deliberate game plan in late 2019 ...

Schache. 20 goals
    Dale: 20+ goals
    Lloyd: 15 goals
    Naughton: 12 goals

That’s 70 goals in 10 games.

We don’t need everyone being fast in the forward line. These guys knew where the ball was going and they were good enough to get it.

Now, they have not got a clue about where the ball is heading, and when they get on their own they are ignored. Daniel is the only one who holds the ball long enough to see a good target. The others just handball it away. (Slight exaggeration).

Whose fault?

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Perhaps it is Chris Grant that needs to go?
    Not sure he needs to go but deserves to be in the spotlight I think.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Not sure he needs to go but deserves to be in the spotlight I think.
    I don't understand why?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't understand why?
    All leaders within the football department should be under the spotlight.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

All leaders within the football department should be under the spotlight.
    Sure, but why does he have to go? What is the issue?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but why does he have to go? What is the issue?
    Nobody needs to go, somebody needs to analyse our performances and utilise what works for us.

And it’s not short and handball.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Vanders has definitely been a bright spot for us this year. Let's hope he doesn't disappear in 2021.
    ....to that place to nowhere where Lewis Young and Brad Lynch are floating.

RocketScience can you bulldogify this Simpson’s gif??

Post Thanks / Like

Second half of last year we had the best defense in the AFL, ie conceded the least goals. I thought with Keath we could boost this, or at least be more consistent
    Was that more to do with our midfield dominance or the efforts of our defenders?