Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Things need to change from the top down

2017 it was the premiership hangover.
    2018 it was bad eggs at the club ruining mentality for everybody
    2019 it was young pups not ready
    2020 what’s the excuse going to be?

What is the Bulldogs football club trying to achieve at the moment? What is their goal for the season? It shouldn’t need to be said that the ultimate goal for any club is to win the cup, and if that truely is our goal, we have a really 2-bit brain dead way of going about it. We SHOULD be fielding our best 22 available every single game but right now we seem to want to put our worst 22 on the ground and hope for a miracle, it’s actually a joke and to see it as a laughing point of fans of other clubs over facebook, reddit, discord, and other mediums is starting to become a bit old, when its a game of ‘’ what terrible choice will our match selection pick this week’’. It needs to change.

Why have we persisted with the same (or literally one off the same) coaching formula now for almost 4 years now? Why haven’t we shuffled around coach spots and the people who sit around Bevo? Right now it DOES seem like we’ve surrounded him with a bunch of nice-guy yes men and it’s getting old. When do the people on our board finally say ‘’enough is enough’’ and demand change? Our coaching panel needs to change.

Richmond. I side I don’t like, I dislike their fans even more, but they are a team of systems, they play to a system and they do it well, the term ‘’plug and play’’ has been thrown around a lot lately, if they have one player out, they put a new one in who knows the system and knows the role they must execute. The dogs have nothing like that, the second we lose one, maybe two players of key positions, our entire game play or structure changes and we look so much worse for it. We are not an adaptable team by any stretch of the imagination. It needs to change.

I’d like to see our entire coaching panel cleaned out, I’d honestly like to see Bevo gone but frankly that won’t happen so we’re stuck with him, but I’m sick of the niceness, the press conferences that amount to ‘’yeah welllll we gotta try hard againnn next weekk’’ I want our club to grow some balls and hold not only crap players accountable but our coaches as well, from Bevo down. Literally anyone knew that picking Gardner this week was dumb, and low and behold, he proved everybody right, but hey, we’re nice, lets give him another week, might as well throw Gowers in there as well for good measure and a sure loss to Adelaide.

I’m incredibly frustrated in our side and what seems to be a lack of passion.

I wish I could change it or at least voice my concerns to the people who have the power to, but I can’t, so I’ll vent here.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things need to change from the top down

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    2017 it was the premiership hangover.
    2018 it was bad eggs at the club ruining mentality for everybody
    2019 it was young pups not ready
    2020 what’s the excuse going to be?

What is the Bulldogs football club trying to achieve at the moment? What is their goal for the season? It shouldn’t need to be said that the ultimate goal for any club is to win the cup, and if that truely is our goal, we have a really 2-bit brain dead way of going about it. We SHOULD be fielding our best 22 available every single game but right now we seem to want to put our worst 22 on the ground and hope for a miracle, it’s actually a joke and to see it as a laughing point of fans of other clubs over facebook, reddit, discord, and other mediums is starting to become a bit old, when its a game of ‘’ what terrible choice will our match selection pick this week’’. It needs to change.

Why have we persisted with the same (or literally one off the same) coaching formula now for almost 4 years now? Why haven’t we shuffled around coach spots and the people who sit around Bevo? Right now it DOES seem like we’ve surrounded him with a bunch of nice-guy yes men and it’s getting old. When do the people on our board finally say ‘’enough is enough’’ and demand change? Our coaching panel needs to change.

Richmond. I side I don’t like, I dislike their fans even more, but they are a team of systems, they play to a system and they do it well, the term ‘’plug and play’’ has been thrown around a lot lately, if they have one player out, they put a new one in who knows the system and knows the role they must execute. The dogs have nothing like that, the second we lose one, maybe two players of key positions, our entire game play or structure changes and we look so much worse for it. We are not an adaptable team by any stretch of the imagination. It needs to change.

I’d like to see our entire coaching panel cleaned out, I’d honestly like to see Bevo gone but frankly that won’t happen so we’re stuck with him, but I’m sick of the niceness, the press conferences that amount to ‘’yeah welllll we gotta try hard againnn next weekk’’ I want our club to grow some balls and hold not only crap players accountable but our coaches as well, from Bevo down. Literally anyone knew that picking Gardner this week was dumb, and low and behold, he proved everybody right, but hey, we’re nice, lets give him another week, might as well throw Gowers in there as well for good measure and a sure loss to Adelaide.

I’m incredibly frustrated in our side and what seems to be a lack of passion.

I wish I could change it or at least voice my concerns to the people who have the power to, but I can’t, so I’ll vent here.
    I think you've got an absolute right to question what we're doing Vred. I don't agree that Bevo is the issue, but the truth is none of us have an insight into that.
    But I do agree with you that if we're not as a club questioning EVERYTHING about what we're doing, then that is something that reflects on people higher up than Bevo.

I don't see a lack of passion, for most weeks anyway. I see really poor skills execution and movement by players at key periods during games.
    Is that coach or players? I don't know, but whatever it is, Chris Grant, Peter Gordon need to be asking questions, and reviewing things.
    Time is ticking. Unless we right the ship soon, we could see us miss out on making the most of the talent that is currently on our list. Bont is now in his prime years. He's got 5-6 more peak years. He's a generational player of the likes we've not seen since Ted. Let's not waste that talent like we did Ted's years post 54, which apart from 61 were quite bleak for the most part.

I really think we need a review of the like Geelong did when Bomber was almost sacked.
    We need to look at our organisational structure and roles. And I do think we need an influx of new ideas. This may be difficult in a COVID-19 environment, but its still needed.
    Let's look at what are the elements of Bevo that made him our most successful coach since Charlie Sutton. Let's bring those skills to the fore, and at the same time, lets look to move others into the roles that maybe he is not so good at.
    We do really need to assess our Match Committee, that's for sure.
    Having said that, whilst I agree Gardner has not shown much thus far, he really was up against it. I watched most of what happened up forward for the Lions in person when Hipwood got a hold of him, and for the most part, he was really on a hiding to nothing, thanks to the poor work upfield.

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Having said that, whilst I agree Gardner has not shown much thus far, he really was up against it. I watched most of what happened up forward for the Lions in person when Hipwood got a hold of him, and for the most part, he was really on a hiding to nothing, thanks to the poor work upfield.
    I don’t even blame Gardner, hardly, I blame our match committee for throwing him to the wolves the way they have. I watched him at VFL level last year, he was alright then, and honestly don’t see much change compared to now.

What pisses me off is watching Bevo pressers from losses in 2017 and 2018 and they’re almost word for word what his saying now, “oh we lacked intensity”, “basic skill errors were letting us down”, “we need to play 4 quarters and not 3” nothing has changed. Nothing. Not a single thing. I wish our board was seeing this but I have a feeling they’re so love struck with Bevo they’ll let this go until he quits, because hey, he delivered a cup. Yeah. Frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t even blame Gardner, hardly, I blame our match committee for throwing him to the wolves the way they have. I watched him at VFL level last year, he was alright then, and honestly don’t see much change compared to now.

What pisses me off is watching Bevo pressers from losses in 2017 and 2018 and they’re almost word for word what his saying now, “oh we lacked intensity”, “basic skill errors were letting us down”, “we need to play 4 quarters and not 3” nothing has changed. Nothing. Not a single thing. I wish our board was seeing this but I have a feeling they’re so love struck with Bevo they’ll let this go until he quits, because hey, he delivered a cup. Yeah. Frustrating.
    I think, unfortunately, dismiss Bevo's pressers. From what I have heard, first hand about Bevo from his boss at my work, he will give the public NOTHING about his team. What he says publicly is more than likely totally different from what he says indoors. He had a reputation at our work, of wearing on the chin any failures of the team he was responsible for. However within his team he was very clear on giving unflinching feedback, and whilst extremely supportive of his team- backing them and protecting them from external fire - he would not resile from making hard decisions on people who did/could not perform what was required of them.

I think this is a great trait to have in the workplace, but in a professional sporting environment I don't think you have the same luxury of time. I think maybe that's where a review should focus attention on. Let Bevo do what he does well, but remove him from the emotional constraints around personnel decisions.

6. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a great trait to have in the workplace, but in a professional sporting environment I don't think you have the same luxury of time. I think maybe that's where a review should focus attention on. Let Bevo do what he does well, but remove him from the emotional constraints around personnel decisions.
    That's an interesting point. I strongly doubt he would like or accept this suggestion but could a coach just coach and lead the team and playing list that is given to them perhaps with just minor input?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's an interesting point. I strongly doubt he would like or accept this suggestion but could a coach just coach and lead the team and playing list that is given to them perhaps with just minor input?
    Would it be that dissimilar to how Geelong restructured Bomber Thompson's role?

To me that's where Chris Grant, Peter Gordon and Ahmeet Bains need to show their capabilities in their jobs.

Bevo may need to eat some humble pie and take on board that feedback in order to take his job with us to the next phase.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo gave a very instructive presser tonight.
    More than what he usually gives.

Clearly was disappointed in what our mids gave around the stoppages especially in the 2nd Qtr.

Also very vehement that Hipwood's influence was not necessarily Gardner's fault.
    I can attest to that from what I saw at the ground, behind the goal . I watched Gardner on Hipwood closely in 2nd and 4th Qtr.

Gardner was shoulder to shoulder with Hipwood, but when the ball came in, as play developed, he had ZERO support, and was regularly caught out trying to look at Hipwood or at times McInerny at the same time, and getting nothing from Cordy or Keath in terms of support.

I don't think Gardner is yet a good AFL player, but on tonight's performance I can 100% say he was let down not only by the players upfield, but also by fellow defenders being super slow to react to what was unfolding ahead of them.

10. Thanks dadsgirl16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo gave a very instructive presser tonight.
    More than what he usually gives.

Clearly was disappointed in what our mids gave around the stoppages especially in the 2nd Qtr.

Also very vehement that Hipwood's influence was not necessarily Gardner's fault.
    I can attest to that from what I saw at the ground, behind the goal . I watched Gardner on Hipwood closely in 2nd and 4th Qtr.

Gardner was shoulder to shoulder with Hipwood, but when the ball came in, as play developed, he had ZERO support, and was regularly caught out trying to look at Hipwood or at times McInerny at the same time, and getting nothing from Cordy or Keath in terms of support.

I don't think Gardner is yet a good AFL player, but on tonight's performance I can 100% say he was let down not only by the players upfield, but also by fellow defenders being super slow to react to what was unfolding ahead of them.
    In a one on one contest you need to at least halve it! If Gardiner is an upgrade on Roberts or the specimen then I am missing somehting!

Post Thanks / Like

I've slept on it. Woken up even angrier than usual on this topic.

I went relatively early on this, we needed to move on in 2018 as far as I am concerned. But credits in the bank, a trend away from sacking coaches generally and the possibility of a golden generation was still glimmering just enough to hold hope.

For mine, we've seen everything we need to see. All the cards are on the table. Other teams have read those cards too, and they know what to do. For whatever reason, the Beveridge system has run its race, there's no competitive advantage there anymore on game day.

I've never called for a Bulldogs coach to be sacked. It's unpleasant. Disruptive. Concerning.

Sack Bevo.

13. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I've slept on it. Woken up even angrier than usual on this topic.

I went relatively early on this, we needed to move on in 2018 as far as I am concerned. But credits in the bank, a trend away from sacking coaches generally and the possibility of a golden generation was still glimmering just enough to hold hope.

For mine, we've seen everything we need to see. All the cards are on the table. Other teams have read those cards too, and they know what to do. For whatever reason, the Beveridge system has run its race, there's no competitive advantage there anymore on game day.

I've never called for a Bulldogs coach to be sacked. It's unpleasant. Disruptive. Concerning.

Sack Bevo.
    My problem with sacking Bevo Is, do they just replace him with another coach and not move the pieces around him? Maybe Peter Gordon has been in the presidents chair too long, I almost feel him + coaching panel need to go and a completely fresh set of eyes and perspective on how to run out club need to be installed, or we’ll do what we did in the 2000’s and piss away another shot at sustained success.

Post Thanks / Like

My problem with sacking Bevo Is, do they just replace him with another coach and not move the pieces around him? Maybe Peter Gordon has been in the presidents chair too long, I almost feel him + coaching panel need to go and a completely fresh set of eyes and perspective on how to run out club need to be installed, or we’ll do what we did in the 2000’s and piss away another shot at sustained success.
    I think it is contained to the footy department. Off field we seem to have pulled the right strings, even if we've gone back into our shell a little in terms of cheeky marketing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread with lots of emotion. At my most furious - which has been when JJ has the ball the last 2 weeks - I’m done with Bevo, but there are a couple of things conspiring I think that are fixable:

- I’ve heard from someone very close to a current assistant coach that he is an absolute dictator - especially on game day. In the coaches box it is his way or the highway - that’s why Monty left. I’d love to see another ex-senior coach in the assistant panel and some more leeway on game day for other opinions. Very fixable if he is willing

- we are playing week in week out in slippery conditions. There is none of that sheen we have when we look amazing. Will be interesting to see the demons game as I think it’ll be our first afternoon game in qld (?) it gets very dewy in the evening in Queensland and our fast paced, quick hands style looks outstanding with the roof on and allows us to play our 5-8 games in the open a year at a frenetic intensity - now that’s being demanded on us every week and we aren’t conditioned or trained for it. Unlikely fixable until things return to “normal”

- Covid is clearly having an impact on all teams. I know every Victorian team is in the same situation but every player will respond differently and we just look physically tired. So do a lot of teams. Again (hopefully) shortish term and fixable

- we’ve played arguably the 3 best teams over the last 3 weeks - 2 of them at home where the players are sleeping in their own beds with their partners and stuff all around them. Not a great sample size but also the real benchmark of where we’re at. We’ve been given a really cold hard dose of reality in one block - a lot to learn

- Bont still learning the captaincy and will only get better at lifting the boys and himself. He isn’t surrounded by any other strong leadership IMO. We lack on ground leadership end to end. Hunter could be a natural leader - unavoidable given circumstances - but Wallis is the next VC IMO and I’d like to see Dunkley‘a natural confidence coupled with a bit of New mongrel step in. Again - this can improve over time

For me the real issue is our inconsistency and the failure to see sustained improvement over the last 4 years. I’m so fricken tired of being an “almost” team - hyped up by dickhead commentators as a chance when we’re on and so clearly out of the contest when we’re off. Things need to change and the main positive I’m taking from it is there is a way to do so.

“Insanity Is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”
    Einstein

17. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    - I’ve heard from someone very close to a current assistant coach that he is an absolute dictator - especially on game day. In the coaches box it is his way or the highway - that’s why Monty left. I’d love to see another ex-senior coach in the assistant panel and some more leeway on game day for other opinions. Very fixable if he is willing
    That's not going to be a popular comment.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's not going to be a popular comment.
    Can’t be helped sometimes. Always interested in views contrary to mine

Post Thanks / Like

It is so easy to just turn on the coach and make presumptions about his style, or what he is doing and what he is not doing. The coach can teach, instruct, set up game plans etc, but once the guys are on the field he is limited. This doesn't mean to say anyone can coach. We know Bevo can coach.

I think the real issue is the players, and it is mostly players in the 50 to 100 game bracket that are not performing. We just don't have the cattle we think we do and we over rate most of them (which is natural because they play for us). For us to win we need our absolute best to be available (eg: Hunter, Duryea). When they are missing or injured, we don't have the depth we think we have.

We can talk about selection, and why certain players are playing, but I see very few players that can come in and make an impact that didn't play last night. May as well give some other players a go and see if they can make it.

Unfortunately we are currently stuck with the group we have, but come year end, we need a clean out of the coodabeens and a complete review of the type of players we have recruited.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.